MP Suggestion: Replace the class system with something that's actually fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

The new forums need a thread too.
This joke is really getting old. I think that now that it's in EA, a proper gear system should be added.
To prove that it's an ill-conceived joke, here are the absolutely paper-thin reasons TW provided:

So, the very first point immediately shows a complete lapse in logic. Namely, this issue of "Snowballing" has nothing to do with how players pick their gear!
Quite simply, it's a gamemode issue. What they are talking about is how some modes in Bannerlord count your resources differently. Instead of having a certain sum of dough and spending it on gear or a class, you can basically choose whatever, but the more expensive your choice, the more you are penalised. In Captain this is with troop numbers, in Skirmish it's with the amount of lives you get.
If you still could pick your gear in BL, then nothing about this would change. You'd still spend more dosh on gear and get fewer lives in return in Skirmish, and so on.
That they even brought this up puts their competence into question.

Obvious playerbase insulting aside, this would easily have been addressable without throwing everything good out.
Many games that let you pick your loadout give you solid presets, autocomplete functions, and loadout saving. This is a solved problem.

As I've already explained, this is an issue of gamemode design, and not of gear systems. None of this is unachievable if you let players pick their own stuff.

This one is hilarious, because they managed to achieve the exact opposite! In Warband, when you see a player, you see their weapons, their shield and their armour. This gives you a fairly good estimation of what they're facing. Is he wearing mail armour? His body will probably take a few hits. Oh, he has no helmet? Okay, go for the noggin. He's also using a two-handed polearm, so unless he switches weapons, he's vulnerable to ranged attacks. See? Simple and intuitive.
Meanwhile, the devs their infinite wisdom have decided to disconnect unit appearance from unit stats. Armour values are arbitrary, no longer based on what the character is wearing. This has some really strange, counterintuitive results where a virtually naked class can tank more hits than a guy in actual armour.

Also, locational armour has been removed in MP, but is still exists in SP. Not only is this a terrible dumbing down of the game, but when it comes to bridging the gap between SP and MP, and smoothing out the transition, this is an extremely idiotic choice. They made the game less intuitive, less accessible and less interesting!

What an absolute joke of a statement. Not only has TW's class design proven they aren't really capable of delivering this, but the added flexibility of designing your own loadout for the situation, for adapting and creating an ever-evolving meta, is infinitely more interesting than a top-down created one, especially when it's not even any good.

A decked out Swadian cavalryman looks like a knight. Ranged classes always had a certain choices in gear that made them look distinct, even if they dropped their crossbows. This isn't anything new. That they think they achieved something new with this yet again calls their own knowledge of M&B, and their general competence into question.

And hilariously, this hasn't worked out very well. The system only really fits a few modes. It's downright unsuitable for anything non-competitive, certain perks become totally pointless in some modes, and so on.
Free gear selection is unquestionably more adaptable. Let players kit themselves up to suit their playstyle or the exact circumstances. Don't give us such a limited amount of choices, especially when much of the choices you give us are comically unsuitable.

Finally, a more recent post from Callum:

Again, just read this. Do I even need to explain how utterly bad this reasoning is?
Not only is min-maxing still a thing as generally very few choices are actually viable, but the dilemma of what you upgrade first in a more casual mode is gone. Should I choose a better weapon? Should I get a proper helmet? All of those significant and meaningful choices are gone. Now all I can do is get the more expensive class and pick the non-crap options.

You can do so much more with actual gear selection. Here, watch me expand on it in a way Warband didn't do. For example, more expensive armour doesn't always need to be heavier. You could give the player a choice between if they want an exquisite mail vest that provides good protection with little impact on mobility, or for the same cost, the full coat-of-plates, long-sleeve hauberk shabang that's much tankier, but comes with major mobility penalties. If you want to go really crazy, you could even make things like berserker gear give you bonuses totally unrelated to armour!
Horse barding! Do I want all-round protection, at a major speed penalty, or do I go with the front-only option? Maybe I want protection against projectiles, but ain't too worried about melee attacks, so I could go with a specific material (padded?) and save money/mobility?

Sure, to some degree, there will be a defined meta that comes out of this for competitive play. So what? You can still have meaningful choices at other levels of play, the best choice will probably change depending on map and mode, and so on. Giving players free choice will obviously result in more viable options than with this current system.

Then there are the less meaningful, but still important question of customisation and aesthetics. The current system is laughably bad at this. In a modernised gear-based system, having options like helmet plumes, or different variants of the same gear would be a no-brainer.
Hell, I don't see why in some casual modes, you shouldn't get the option to bring weapons you designed yourself into battle! It wouldn't matter if it's about minmaxing, cool looks, funny gimmicks or what. It'd be great fun and add tons of replayability.

So yeah, this joke stopped being funny in September. It's time to move on. Warband's system wasn't perfect at all, it was a very simple, low-effort solution that could punch way above its weight class.
To throw it all out and replace it with a downgrade was a massive mistake. A new system that builds on the foundation Warband created would be worlds better in every measurable way.

agree with every single point in this.

Am I the only one who likes the class system?

Oh wtf am I saying of course Im not. the very positive reviews on the steam store agrees with me and doesn't care about people that play a 10 year old game.
98% of recent Warband reviews, and 97% of all Warband reviews on Steam are positive, with the Overwhelmingly Positive rating. By contrast, Bannerlord's review score is at 82%, and dropping(It was 86% when I looked 2 days ago). While it's fair that some of these reviews are basing their appraisal partly on bugs and issues, Bannerlord already has more content than Warband, even with much of it missing. And it's still recieving noticably worse reviews.

On the whole, if I had some more playtime to justify it, I would almost give Bannerlord a positive review on steam, just for the singleplayer(even though it's nowhere near as good as it could be, hopefully they make things better). And yet I despise the premade classes in multiplayer, am upset with the poor combat system and mechanics, and simply don't enjoy multiplayer as a whole (by contrast I have over 4000 hours in Warband, ~85% of which were in multiplayer). So you bringing up the positive review score as though it is indicative of anything regarding multiplayer is irrelevant.

the class system is by far better then the gear system in warband. just play warband if you like this system more. i hope bannerlord will stay as independent game and not as warband withe better graphic settings.
so i hope talesworld will ignore all these nativ veterans and just let them yelling.

the class system is by far better then the gear system in warband. just play warband if you like this system more. i hope bannerlord will stay as independent game and not as warband withe better grafphic settings.
so i hope talesworld will ignore all these nativ veterans and just let them yelling.
Yeah that's a great idea, ignore people that have followed the game religiously for 15 years and have spent tens of thousands of hours in the game and in the python code. Those people that have seen the direct impact of every change to the game over that span of time and how it has affected the game and community at a macro scale for their tenure. Those people that have competed at the highest echelons of the game and have found underlying fundamental issues that need addressing to keep players interested and foster a thriving community.

Nah we are just salty mate, just 'OkayVetter' on and ride this carriage off the cliff instead of turning it.

Yeah that's a great idea, ignore people that have followed the game religiously for 15 years and have spent tens of thousands of hours in the game. Those people that have seen the direct impact of every change to the game over that span of time and how it has affected the game and community at a macro scale for their tenure. Those people that have competed at the highest echelons of the game and have found underlying fundamental issues that need addressing to keep players interested and foster a thriving community.

Nah we are just salty mate, just OkayVetter on and ride this carriage off the cliff instead of turning it.
they can play warband if they want. bannerlord is a indepentend game and not just a modern warband. just accept this and we all can work on the optimizing and not changing the whole game

the class system is by far better then the gear system in warband.
You keep saying this stuff in a few different threads, but you haven't elaborated. Why do you think it's better?

just play warband if you like this system more. i hope bannerlord will stay as independent game and not as warband withe better graphic settings.
Warband's class system, while infinitely superior to Bannerlord's, had issues(I never had them, but if they're there, they should be fixed). Please explain to me how having less options is superior, when all of the potential problems with Warband's systems could be fixed without a total overhaul.

its a big change when you bring the older gear system from nativ warband back. this system would change the whole multiplayer lul
No, it wouldn't. There would still be melee combat, there would still be archers and cavalry. The only difference is that people can pick their equipment instead of being railroaded into gameplay options they don't want. Explain to me how it would "change the whole multiplayer", please.

You keep saying this stuff in a few different threads, but you haven't elaborated. Why do you think it's better?

Warband's class system, while infinitely superior to Bannerlord's, had issues(I never had them, but if they're there, they should be fixed). Please explain to me how having less options is superior, when all of the potential problems with Warband's systems could be fixed without a total overhaul.

No, it wouldn't. There would still be melee combat, there would still be archers and cavalry. The only difference is that people can pick their equipment instead of being railroaded into gameplay options they don't want. Explain to me how it would "change the whole multiplayer", please.

I think the most important thing is that even if we acknowledge the Warband system's flaws, that doesn't justify throwing everything out the way they did. It serves as the perfect basis to make something superb. I think the community at large made a crapton of great suggestions in the old thread that prove this.

Maybe taleworlds is planning something for multiplayer and that's why they didn't change the system through alpha and closed beta. I have no idea what but seeing them not changing it despite tons of threads with constructive critique during beta make me think about it more like a tool to achieve/add smth to multiplayer than an actual improved wb system (improved in their opinion ofc)

I really don’t see an argument that can be made for the class system whatsoever.

The devs said they used a class system to deter snowballing, which is completely contradicting of itself considering you can still snowball and snowball easier at that using this class system.

CSGO, League of Legenda, Dota 2, the biggest multiplayer games with currency in our generation. These games are renowned for competitive play and skill based gameplay, they’ve managed to balance economic systems to prevent snowballing in a number of ways. Not all would apply to Bannerlord but notes should be taken.

CSGO, losing a round means you earn less money than the team that won, losing two rounds you’re still probably struggling but you get more money than you did for losing last round. If you lose 3 rounds in a row you get even more and can probably afford to buy again and attempt the round on an even playing field. If you lose, you’re going to get even more money than the last round because you’ve lost 4 times in a row and it’s giving the loser a chance while the winner is not punished for doing good.

League of Legends has the bounty system and in my brief time in Dota 2 I’m pretty sure they work in the same way more or less.(?) As you do good by either getting kills or killing minions you can accumulate a bounty, getting killed gives the opposing team your bounty but split across their team, this makes doing good and then playing poorly far more risky. If you do good you’re expected to maintain it or you risk giving the losing team a lot of gold and potentially giving away the game. Players who die over and over again are instead worth less gold making it slightly more difficult for lanes to snowball off one bad player.

The argument made by TW for snowballing was dumb and super ill informed, it’s clear they haven’t done their research on the topic. Class systems do not equal competitive play and balanced multiplayer.

I’ve said it once but you cannot claim to be going for a balanced and skill based matchmaking system where players who are good cannot snowball and then try and balance two completely different modes with the same stats. Captain mode is nothing like Skirmish mode, the Battania longbow isn’t all that unbalanced in skirmish but **** me in Captain mode that thing is like a 50 cal.

If your concern is for new players, why? Are new players expected to be more impressed by the 7 classes per 6 factions that are almost identical copies with varying aesthetic choices? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an argument for competitive focused anything in order to appease the new casual players, it’s contradictory. New players might be inspired by the simplicity of picking a class with two perks instead of a loadout but once they learn the game more it’s going to be a complete bore for them. You have to think about how your multiplayer community scales over time, this is how games become timeless. If your system for every single multiplayer match is the same class system there’s actually no room to innovate or improve but rather you just grind until you get the most meta class.

It’s just a huge punch in the face and there’s no reason to sugar coat it. TW has undoubtedly handled multiplayer so poorly in return for the SP community. Instead of making SP for the single players and MP for the MP community you surely know about from Warband, you made the game for one specific set of casual players who will play single player for 1000 hours, come play a few MP games, and go right back to their nth SP native playthrough. Get it through your head that your game will quickly die. Those SP reviews will eventually trickle out overtime. We’re in a pandemic state right now, of course everyone is playing your game that they’ve long awaited and jumping at the bit to give it a good review to justify the money and time they spent on it.

The handling of MP and in my opinion even SP has been nothing short of distasteful, lazy, and partially insulting to your loyal community.

I don’t care anymore about the fact that you developed the game and we should praise you, there’s just too many flaws along the course of development and release that you are 100% subject to all the negative feedback you’re receiving. The MP beta was a 9 month teaser. It’s the equivalent of EA’s Battlefield betas where they’re just putting them up to get sales by giving people a taste of the game just prior to release. Although they give out the beta of a finished product for a week, you gave us an unfinished product for months and ignored our feedback almost entirely.

No custom servers
No battle
No profiles
No customization of loadouts (“what about perks”, yeah what about perks they do nothing for me)
No banners

All for a streamlined class system that just seems like it was probably less work.

You’ve dug MPs grave and despite the community using all of its effort to shovel the dirt back in, you have a ****ing excavator and we have sandbox shovels.

And SP is like 20 hours of content if you count all the grinding in between clan and kingdom as content, so where’s the value of my $40?

Last edited:
I really don’t see an argument that can be made for the class system whatsoever.

The devs said they used a class system to deter snowballing, which is completely contradicting of itself considering you can still snowball and snowball easier at that using this class system.

CSGO, League of Legenda, Dota 2, the biggest multiplayer games with currency in our generation. These games are renowned for competitive play and skill based gameplay, they’ve managed to balance economic systems to prevent snowballing in a number of ways. Not all would apply to Bannerlord but notes should be taken.

CSGO, losing a round means you earn less money than the team that won, losing two rounds you’re still probably struggling but you get more money than you did for losing last round. If you lose 3 rounds in a row you get even more and can probably afford to buy again and attempt the round on an even playing field. If you lose, you’re going to get even more money than the last round because you’ve lost 4 times in a row and it’s giving the loser a chance while the winner is not punished for doing good.

League of Legends has the bounty system and in my brief time in Dota 2 I’m pretty sure they work in the same way more or less.(?) As you do good by either getting kills or killing minions you can accumulate a bounty, getting killed gives the opposing team your bounty but split across their team, this makes doing good and then playing poorly far more risky. If you do good you’re expected to maintain it or you risk giving the losing team a lot of gold and potentially giving away the game. Players who die over and over again are instead worth less gold making it slightly more difficult for lanes to snowball off one bad player.

The argument made by TW for snowballing was dumb and super ill informed, it’s clear they haven’t done their research on the topic. Class systems do not equal competitive play and balanced multiplayer.

I’ve said it once but you cannot claim to be going for a balanced and skill based matchmaking system where players who are good cannot snowball and then try and balance two completely different modes with the same stats. Captain mode is nothing like Skirmish mode, the Battania longbow isn’t all that unbalanced in skirmish but **** me in Captain mode that thing is like a 50 cal.

If your concern is for new players, why? Are new players expected to be more impressed by the 7 classes per 6 factions that are almost identical copies with varying aesthetic choices? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an argument for competitive focused anything in order to appease the new casual players, it’s contradictory. New players might be inspired by the simplicity of picking a class with two perks instead of a loadout but once they learn the game more it’s going to be a complete bore for them. You have to think about how your multiplayer community scales over time, this is how games become timeless. If your system for every single multiplayer match is the same class system there’s actually no room to innovate or improve but rather you just grind until you get the most meta class.

It’s just a huge punch in the face and there’s no reason to sugar coat it. TW has undoubtedly handled multiplayer so poorly in return for the SP community. Instead of making SP for the single players and MP for the MP community you surely know about from Warband, you made the game for one specific set of casual players who will play single player for 1000 hours, come play a few MP games, and go right back to their nth SP native playthrough. Get it through your head that your game will quickly die. Those SP reviews will eventually trickle out overtime. We’re in a pandemic state right now, of course everyone is playing your game that they’ve long awaited and jumping at the bit to give it a good review to justify the money and time they spent on it.

The handling of MP and in my opinion even SP has been nothing short of distasteful, lazy, and partially insulting to your loyal community.

I don’t care anymore about the fact that you developed the game and we should praise you, there’s just too many flaws along the course of development and release that you are 100% subject to all the negative feedback you’re receiving. The MP beta was a 9 month teaser. It’s the equivalent of EA’s Battlefield betas where they’re just putting them up to get sales by giving people a taste of the game just prior to release. Although they give out the beta of a finished product for a week, you gave us an unfinished product for months and ignored our feedback almost entirely.

No custom servers
No battle
No profiles
No customization of loadouts (“what about perks”, yeah what about perks they do nothing for me)
No banners

All for a streamlined class system that just seems like it was probably less work.

You’ve dug MPs grave and despite the community using all of its effort to shovel the dirt back in, but you have a ****ing excavator and we have sandbox shovels.

And SP is like 20 hours of content if you count all the grinding in between clan and kingdom as content, so where’s the value of my $40?
+1 Great comment

Not seeing any response from TW regarding the countless threads in the Beta was quite disheartening. A proper response would be great. The current class system feels more like a placeholder than anything else and I'm still not believing it's here to stay, as it's very (very) bare bones and lazy. A Call of Duty system, as many have suggested, would be far superior at the very least.

I have to agree there are a couple of choices I don't really get with MP, namely the class system, no battles, and no duel mode.

I don't really think this game should be a slave to Warband or Warband mechanics, but I think there were a lot of things that Warband did well that I had hoped would be expanded upon rather than discarded.

And I think as others have said, we have some pretty good high level competitive games that use systems more like the old buying system while still being balanced (CSGO, any and every MOBO, etc.).

I find the class system works well. It's basically like building your own class with the 6x equipment choices already, but limited for balance and to not overload the choices. Some of the equipment could use switching and balancing, I'm sure those changes will continue as it was throughout the beta.

I think the most important thing is that even if we acknowledge the Warband system's flaws, that doesn't justify throwing everything out the way they did. It serves as the perfect basis to make something superb. I think the community at large made a crapton of great suggestions in the old thread that prove this.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom