[SUGGESTION] enable testudo

Users who are viewing this thread

Plazek

Master Knight
So I think there should be a button to hold a shield directly up above your head.
In films and stuff you often see people holding their shields this way but they are not looking at the sky while they do it! Furthermore the Romans had a whole formation dedicated to holding your shield in such a way.

I agree use may be limited but anything that could encourage teamwork (holding your shield above your head is not much use if it leaves you wide open at the front nor the opposite) is a good thing.

Some may worry it would overpower shields against arrows but the only shield where this would make the defenders near impenetrable would be the board. One of the main strengths of Rhodok armies and should they not get a great advantage from it?

Mainly I think it could be cool.
It should have its own button so you do not have to look at the sky.

inox_ionizer said:
Would be cool to have the option at least.

As for controlling it, maybe something like this: The current shield maximum angle is increased to 90, so you can have your shield above your head with just the normal movement. And! if you want your shield to stay at a certain angle (for example 90 degrees, but can also be 0 or 45), you press a button. The shield would be locked at that angle regardless of your view angle until you press the button again. That would enable you to adjust it perfectly to the situation.

Yes, could be really useful especially in Siege mode, while climbing the ladders. Or maybe to create a "half-sphere" defence around Castle 2 sally door to protect players who's breaking the door.

Nah, this would basically have no other application at all. And why is looking up such a big issue?

That said, I'd actually be very interested in testing the feasibility of a testudo formation vs archer fire, but I'd need quite a few dedicated volunteers.

Would be cool to have the option at least.

As for controlling it, maybe something like this: The current shield maximum angle is increased to 90, so you can have your shield above your head with just the normal movement. And! if you want your shield to stay at a certain angle (for example 90 degrees, but can also be 0 or 45), you press a button. The shield would be locked at that angle regardless of your view angle until you press the button again. That would enable you to adjust it perfectly to the situation.

Well, there would be hardly any situation where this would be used, unless ladders actually become more vertical than horizontal and you actually have to climb up them. The actual usefulness of a testudo formation is debatable, I can't really think of any situation where it would be all that helpful, since you can aim your shield high enough that even shots from almost directly above you won't hit (thinking village and castle maps here).

All in all, I don't think its really worth it.

Scorch! said:
since you can aim your shield high enough that even shots from almost directly above you won't hit (thinking village and castle maps here).

When's the last time you played Siege?  I get headshot over my shield all the time now.

There are spots in Village where an archer can get directly above you and your shield is worthless, because apparently it pinches a nerve in your arm so you can't move your shoulder or something.

Shield definitely needs to be able to be raised higher.

----------------------------------------------

As far as a key to look around while holding your shield in a certain position, this already exists.  Just re-map the "view outfit" key to something more convenient than tilde (I have it on "v") and hold it while you look around. Your movement keys will still work, but your shield will stay locked at one height and orientation.

Near castle walls.
When the enemy is on a big hill.
When they see your shields are stopping from the front so try and angle over.
At long range where that will be most likely.
For looking cool in screenshots.

The whole point is to make it (with the right equipment) so you can be practically ranged immune if in the correct formation. This would add a lot to the more tactical side of play.

It might not be all that useful but it has its uses, would add to the game and should not be too hard to implement though perhaps I am wrong on that point.

PS

Merchantson you might be able to look around but your character will still be looking like an idiot.

Jack_Merchantson said:
When's the last time you played Siege?  I get headshot over my shield all the time now.
Hmm, well I have not had any instance where I have not been able to move to a position where my shield can block any and all arrows from above. Personally I think you are right, the angle that the shield can be held at should be increased, not adding in this testudo thing.

Maybe instead of a testudo button, there should be a button to lock the shield in place as well as increasing the shield angles. Would be a better solution in my opinion and more flexible as well, since you are not limited to just above your head, but at all sorts of angles.

how about a key (not x, as thats for weapons) that switches modes,  so you can move your sheild around much more freely but you dont move your body with it-  so for example, you can move your sheild up above yourself, to your right or your left.  it wouldnt have much use alone, but it would have lots of uses in formation.

Scorch - Hmm, well I have not had any instance where I have not been able to move to a position where my shield can block any and all arrows from above. Personally I think you are right, the angle that the shield can be held at should be increased, not adding in this testudo thing.

Maybe instead of a testudo button, there should be a button to lock the shield in place as well as increasing the shield angles. Would be a better solution in my opinion and more flexible as well, since you are not limited to just above your head, but at all sorts of angles.

Ok play castle3, go into the bedroom at the top above the siege tower spot and go over to the window that looks down on the gatehouse siege ladder.  Now go into first person mode and get someone to walk up with their shield facing upwards.  You get an automatic headshot on anyone climbing up that ladder because the shield block hitbox is not high enough for the arrows even if you are looking directly up.  Elevation has no effect on shield blocking, it just looks like it does.

I'd be up for the option, why not?  It would be fun.

Back
Top Bottom