[Suggestion] Couching Fix

Users who are viewing this thread

As most of the M&B Warband community knows, couching has some pretty ridiculous bugs and I am starting this thread with the intent to help the dev's polish up this mechanic.

My complaint:

When you are on a slower horse (not much slower, mind you) and someone on a faster horse comes up behind you, gaining on you as slow as a baby can crawl, they often can get an instant kill couch from a baby crawl difference in speed.  Now, if the other player thrust their lance from behind, I would have no problem with that. It seems, as of now,  that couching damage does not take into account the relative speed of horses.  Likewise, I am not sure if horses charging into each other deals any more damage than if you were baby crawling up to some steppe horse with your hunter or charging into a stationary target.

I think something that would help us players determine exactly how this bug works and many other bugs would be a damage report system.  I know this has been asked for previously, but I think, even if it is just in the game for the beta, it would greatly improve the quality of bug reports from the testers.

I would ask the community to comment and report similar bugs in this thread.  At least in my opinion, it would greatly help the developers. =)

All I see it happen to is courser vs hunter or courser vs saddle horse. I don't see why its a problem really since the faster horse would end up winning anyway.

I do see this as a problem.  The mechanic is broken.  I doubt the developers with such an intricate game want such features in it.  Seems they are going for realism, and these kind of bugs are pretty silly.  I understand faster horses are superior in some ways, but if this special case was meant to be true, would you not be able to couch people while walking the horse, or perhaps even... couching while walking backwards?  If one horse was not at full gallop and the attacker was, I could understand how a couch from behind could kill, but again, we're talking about the baby crawl difference in speed not this case.

Interesting. This definitely didn't work in Native, because I always had dud couch attempts that did maybe 10 damage at most if they were moving away from me.

This happens to me a lot.  Basically, you're galloping in a straight line on your say, saddle horse.  Directly on your tail is another player on a courser.  (I almost said "cruiser" there.  Arch is getting in my head)  He's only going slightly faster, but you die instantly when his couched lance touches your lumbar region, rather than it glancing off as you are expecting.  It's like your opponent is getting the speed bonus for couching without your own speed being taken into account.

The problem is that the couched lance damage multiplier is so excessively high that even low-speed glancing hits will do massive damage. The game actually does take into account relative speed, but with the current damage multiplier, the mechanics mean nothing because there's essentially no difference between 300 damage and 70 damage, because both attacks are still an instant-kill.

If the couched lance multiplier was lowered, then the lance attacks wouldn't be so ridiculous in their effect, but they'd still be able to kill with a solid hit.

Kevlar said:
All I see it happen to is courser vs hunter or courser vs saddle horse. I don't see why its a problem really since the faster horse would end up winning anyway.
really? in that case attack speed is the only thing that counts, if its +/positive that means you win a fight. Intresting...

Back
Top Bottom