[Suggestion] Body Collision Update

Users who are viewing this thread

I noticed watching Reapy's "Excessive Warhammer Cam" video, something that would add a ton of realism to the game.  I don't know how to implement it so please help by posting.  I would like to see body collisions with weapons improve.  If you hit someone from the side where the shaft of the weapon hits, it shouldn't go through that person, rather bounce off of them (maybe not true for warhammer knock downs or glancing blows [hitting someone with the very tip of a weapon]).  Watch this video and watch the body collisions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpbdiNxx9nk
^credits to Reapy

The collisions would be similar to hitting a team mate when friendly fire is off (where your sword doesn't cleave through their body).

I'm also wondering if the developers have considered implementing this.

Seawied86 said:
this would require a ton of work and would really tax the weaker computers. I doubt this will be implemented
I doubt this, it already works for teammates, just make it pass through the enemy a bit more than is the case when it bounces off teammates and let the attacks actually damage the enemy (well duh :razz:) and it would look a lot better.

when you watch any fight in slow-mo from warband it looks wacky,  hits where the sword doesn't connect-  blocks where the blades pass through each other, sometimes actually ghosting through the target.    You dint notice any of this in full speed though, so I'm not sure its a problem or not.

If the Devs see this is a problem worth fixing (considering its only noticeable on slo-mo cams) some things that might work are:

- giving a blocked weapons animation more 'rebound'  basically, don't let the blade continue, have it clash off more.

- A successfull hit should still rebound somewhat,  but not after continuing its path a bit.

- oh, and fixing weapon mesh's to match their hit length, as some are still wonky.

I really don't think this would require too much programming.  As stated above, a similar collision is already in the game.  Also, a simple calculation could be done based on the weapon being held by the attacker and the distance between sprites.  Add in a couple other conditions: was it a killing blow? did the player get knocked down (if yes, then follow through swing)? what type of weapon was used (bludge, slash, pierce), did the blow glance off of the armor?

Second if weapon swings varied swing speed instead of being swung at a constant velocity, this would add more realism and a flashy "look" to hits.  Think of a war hammer starting out a little slower but finishing it's swing faster (ultimately the same timing for the weapon animation, but a visually harder looking hit).  This would make it look more painful (and knockdowns believable), and for big weapons such as hammers + axes this speed difference paired with body collisions, would make the combat pretty neat looking.

There is already tons of games where your weapon will "bounce off" when hitting something, implenting it shoud not be to hard.
And this is clearly visisble ingame, but who cares?

i dont really understand, but it seems like a good idea.

Also more death/knockdown animations, and make them fall slower(?) it seems they fall way too fast.

Right now we have, head shot, torso, fall backwards, and i think a right and left death fall.

Back
Top Bottom