[Suggestion] Block Delay

Remove the Block Delay?

• Yes

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 41.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Block delay was added again only after complaints about instant blocking, which was brought in after complaints about excessive block stun... as far as I know there has always been a block delay apart from one or two recent versions. The intention as I see it was to implement a slight block delay for everyone, but not penalize further people with connections that are already delayed by the required amount. In other words: it's not for penalizing dedicated players, rather to bring up to a level playing field everyone with less than 50 ping.

I just fail to see why everyone wouldn't agree upon making it a configurable server option with the ping threshold variable. Wouldn't that satisfy everyone and be the best both worlds?

I'm fine with it being an option; though it might be better for people to change that sort of stuff with the module system if possible, rather than have the developers spend time adding everything imaginable to the admin panel. :wink:

SockMonkeh said:
I just fail to see why everyone wouldn't agree upon making it a configurable server option with the ping threshold variable. Wouldn't that satisfy everyone and be the best both worlds?
No because what always ends up happening is the majority of players play on one server anyways, so you can either play with those server settings or play multiplayer warband against bots by yourself.

Alec{zacool} said:
It's a beta. Servers will get started up all over the place upon release.

As long as it's a server option, and not hardcoded, I'm happy.
Still punishes people for their geographical location or internet provider limitations.  It's about levelling the playing field so people who have the good luck to live next door the the server aren't uber gods while a number of players get shafted.

Kapt Torbjorn said:
No because what always ends up happening is the majority of players play on one server anyways, so you can either play with those server settings or play multiplayer warband against bots by yourself.

If people want to play with that feature, there will be servers with it enabled for you to play on.

I have around ~80 to 100 ping usually and the block delay is quite the pain in the ass.

I see the enemy swing, I block in that direction, and yet sometimes I still die. It happens with my opponents, too. Especially in a duel server. Though a block delay is necessary... so it's a hard decision. Isn't it possible to make it not affect players ping-wise?

Alec{zacool} said:
Meh. I'm not against block delays, but making it only for someone who doesn't really have an advantage in the first place is stupid. Someone with 100 ping can easily do the same things as a person that has <50 ping if they try. It all comes down to skill. Having a delay for someone that has a good internet removes skill completely. It actually forces them to have a spammy-like attack.
I play with a ping of 20-50, depending on the server, and never have I had problems with the delay. The delay doesn't remove the skill at all, it simply puts people with a normal (40-50) ping on par with the ones with <10.
Alec{zacool} said:
Meh. I'm not against block delays, but making it only for someone who doesn't really have an advantage in the first place is stupid. Someone with 100 ping can easily do the same things as a person that has <50 ping if they try. It all comes down to skill. Having a delay for someone that has a good internet removes skill completely. It actually forces them to have a spammy-like attack.
Sure, but if it's two players of same skill level, the one with 100 will die. And how does the delay force players with low ping to spam?

cdvader said:
I have around ~80 to 100 ping usually and the block delay is quite the pain in the ass.

I see the enemy swing, I block in that direction, and yet sometimes I still die. It happens with my opponents, too. Especially in a duel server. Though a block delay is necessary... so it's a hard decision. Isn't it possible to make it not affect players ping-wise?
You've totally misunderstood the feature; it only affects players with less than 50 ms ping, i.e. not you. The longer delay with a higher ping is unavoidable, because the server can't know you wanted to block until the network message is received.

The obvious way around this would be to trust each client with making the decisions on whether attacks are blocked or not, but this is generally a bad idea as it makes cheating very easy, and each client calculates things based on old data transmitted from each other client at least their ping time ago, which means the simulations on each client can diverge from each other. Also any independent floating point calculations accumulate differences over time as well.

SockMonkeh said:
Kapt Torbjorn said:

If people want to play with that feature, there will be servers with it enabled for you to play on.
Kapt Torbjorn said:

Blocking correctly and getting hit is a bug of wrong display of your block dir. The client side is not in sync with the serverside and even if you might see a block to the left, you are blocking up/down on the server. Happens a lot if you move a mouse more diagonally than horizontal/vertically to block.

Vornne said:
You've totally misunderstood the feature; it only affects players with less than 50 ms ping, i.e. not you.

Yes, the server always knows what your ping is and reports it accurately, so if your ping is above fifty you'll never  have random added block delay... :roll:

UsF said:
Blocking correctly and getting hit is a bug of wrong display of your block dir. The client side is not in sync with the serverside and even if you might see a block to the left, you are blocking up/down on the server. Happens a lot if you move a mouse more diagonally than horizontal/vertically to block.

sorry, I call bull**** on this claim. I'm one of the rare moronic people who use movement key block. It can feel clunky, but its very accurate and avoids these "diagnal block" issue. Even with movement keys, I get exactly the same results as everyone else complaining about failblocking

I don't know that I've ever had a failed block when my ping is low. Usually when something surprises me is when it blocks a hit I didn't think I got up in time, even with the latest block 'delay' settings.  I tend to only have block issues when I'm in EU and my ping is 100, in that case I get the blocks up sometimes but it goes through anyway, and that I can just account for lag.

Meh I dunno, I think the block delay is fine, I don't think it is a harm or anything in the game, but that is personal preference really, I don't think it affects balance at all, just what you like, instant or slightly delayed... I like the concept that it takes a little bit of time to get your blade in position to block, not an immediate thing. But again, personal preference is all that is.

Jack_Merchantson said:
Yes, the server always knows what your ping is and reports it accurately, so if your ping is above fifty you'll never  have random added block delay... :roll:
Irony?

Somehow, they still cant seem to be able to get the ingame pingometer to work properly.
Of course the server never knows the actual ping, it only has some idea on what it was like in the past.
Ping is the time it takes to send a packet and get a packet back in response, so when it receives a packet with info about your blocking intent, it doesn't have a faint idea on for how long it travelled, therefore turning delays on and off depending on ping is a bad idea.

Jack_Merchantson said:
This thread was at least originally about the block delay feature, not random bugs or network issues that cause some form of delay. The feature in question does not affect anyone with more than 50 ping time.

Vornne said:
This thread was at least originally about the block delay feature, not random bugs or network issues that cause some form of delay. The feature in question does not affect anyone with more than 50 ping time.

Yes, it does, because the server sometimes reports your ping as much, much lower than it actually is.  So you get your actual ping, plus an additional delay, when blocking.

Hence my assertion that the block delay needs to be removed until the servers can more reliably report your ping.

I think that it's an OK thing to implement if it works.

The problem is that it is NOT working as intended, and here's why:

1. Graphics do not meet reality.
If it appears you are blocking, but the attack still goes through because of this block delay, something is wrong.
If there's got to be a delay, it should look natural.

2. The difference between 49 ping and 51 ping is huge for some reason.
The delay is supposed to get bigger the further below 50 ping you have, and it does, but the intervals are too large.

3. The infamous ping bug. Australian servers have this, apparently US servers do too.
My ping frequently displays as 0, while before this bug started (many months ago) I was a consistent 30.
I have no idea whether this effects the block delay or if it is purely graphical, either way it needs to be fixed.

When these things are fixed, the block delay will be an acceptable mechanic, but with them it is just unbelievably infuriating.

HTAPAWASO said:
3. The infamous ping bug. Australian servers have this, apparently US servers do too.
My ping frequently displays as 0, while before this bug started (many months ago) I was a consistent 30.
I have no idea whether this effects the block delay or if it is purely graphical, either way it needs to be fixed.

I have the impression it's not just graphical.  I was playing on a US server where my ping was reporting as 37, on a server where it's usually more like 97, and I couldn't manual block for ****. Attacks would just go through my block animations like it was .6x again.

you're not being punished, people with low ping are. your delay is inevitable, theirs isn't. when i play on the euro server with 130 ping i'm not going to make a big deal out of it being laggy, of course it is. but why should their experience be worse just because my is? am i supposed to be happy when some guy dies because the game added a delay to his block? it's like you're hurting the many to slightly make the fews experience better, but their experience will still be laggy and lame even with this, so whats the point?

Back
Top Bottom