Votes: 47 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 41.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Styo

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I know... Remove it.

So your going to punish me for living close to the server and or having a good connection and good ping? What do you want me to do? Move to china so i get worse ping?

Agreed.

I'm failing to see this having any real effect upon the game. People who I know can't block well still get punished, people who have a real bad ping still get punished.

I guess this is the reason I'm left scratching my head sometimes when my weapon is fully in the block position and I still get hit from an attack of that direction?

If so it makes me sad :sad:

Usually my ping is above average and I did not notice that the dependence of the block from the ping worked quite well.
So, I poll "YES". Block from v0.672 was great.

No. Don't touch the block delay . With this feature, gap between people with good ping and people with bad ping is less pronounced.

AoC said:
No. Don't touch the block delay . With this feature, gap between people with good ping and people with bad ping is less pronounced.
Strange, I didn't notice any significant delay and I was sure it was removed a few versions back.
But if there was any, it would apply regardless of network delay, so it would make things even worse for bad pingers.

Heh, currently on US servers this thing is multiplied by the "zero-ping" issue, so even such players as me (with my regular ping of 40-50) get this block delay because for some unknown reason my ping is shown to be 0 in the statistics window (which is obviously wrong).

The block delay for people with ping below 50 is a curve, so it evens out to a 50 ping, which is nice.
5 Ping people get a bit more delay than 40 ping, while people with 50+ ping do not feel a delay at all (this is how it should be).
People with a ping over 50 still have a small disadvantage, but it is much less than before, so I say keep it, since it is a better implementation than the first block delay ever was.

Wheem said:
I guess this is the reason I'm left scratching my head sometimes when my weapon is fully in the block position and I still get hit from an attack of that direction?

If so it makes me sad :sad:

This is incredibly annoying and happens to me all the time.

I like the concept, but I think its going to be too difficult to execute. Lets go back to the previous block system.

BTW: This is coming from someone with 100-120 ping. I should be one of the people who benefit from the system, but its caused me more frustration than good. Having this delayed block also destroys emergence

what seawied said.

Also it does not have to be scrapped entirely. the block delay affecting people with -50 ping is simply too large of a window. Reduce the ping of when this takes effect, say anyone with -30/-25 ping can be affected, otherwise, let it be instant.

Recently in seems pings were improved. Where i usually had 70+ ping now i can get anywhere from 40+ping, and even at 48 ping i was noticing this gross block delay.

Halcyon said:
Recently in seems pings were improved. Where i usually had 70+ ping now i can get anywhere from 40+ping, and even at 48 ping i was noticing this gross block delay.
Hrrrrrrrrr... This "improvement" in ping is actually a bug that started occurring 3 days ago on US servers. Your real ping is actually greater by 40-50 ms than the value that is shown in statistics window. Ping values in server choice window are more or less OK.
So now you have 70+ ping PLUS block delay (I have 40-50 ping + block delay) which is approximately equivalent to 100+ ping without delay. Of course it makes blocking extremely complicated.
This "zero ping" bug appeared 3 days ago. Most of the people on US servers have 0 ping now which is ridiculous.

EU servers are OK, I get the right ping values (130-140) in both server choice and statistics window.

Are you kidding? This thing is like the next best thing after sliced bread. People were saying blocking was too easy with 50 ping, imagine same players with a ping of 5. Delay doesn't mess with the balance at all nor does it punish the ones with low ping.
JoG said:
Halcyon said:
Your real ping is actually greater by 40-50 ms than the value that is shown in statistics window. Ping values in server choice window are more or less OK.
So now you have 70+ ping PLUS block delay (I have 40-50 ping + block delay) which is approximately equivalent to 100+ ping without delay. Of course it makes blocking extremely complicated.
You don't have any delay with 50+ ping.

I haven't had a problem blocking with the delay at all. I do like that you need to be slightly more conscious of when you are attacking and defending and that there is a little bit of a distinction between the two. If you have a high ping anyway you will be faced with a delay, and honestly if the patch notes just said "there is now a slight block delay" without mentioning it going away over 50 ping, nobody would be able to even tell.

I think it is a good compromise to make the game more playable overall in various states of lag. In an ideal world everyone has a sub 20 ping and the game works without us noticing the network, but in the real world there are going to be some crappy connections and the game needs to handle it, and sometimes that involves changing the gameplay and not the network prediction.

Stabbing Hobo said:
Are you kidding? This thing is like the next best thing after sliced bread. People were saying blocking was too easy with 50 ping, imagine same players with a ping of 5. Delay doesn't mess with the balance at all nor does it punish the ones with low ping
Really? Cuz everytime I play, as soon as i see the enemy start to swing... I press block.. oh but wait the swing is faster then the delay = DEAD. Fun... lets try again.... and again the swing is faster then the block.

Right now I block attacks by guessing that they are going to swing. so ie;

I swing, they block, Ok now i need to guess if they will swing or not just so i can block it. If i guess wrong im dead? I mind as well guess if they get a heart attack and the character dies and I survive...

Man my ping is usually about 15-40 (especially if I'm playing on a Czech server) and I don't even notice the block delay with 15 ping.

switchfoot said:
Man my ping is usually about 15-40 (especially if I'm playing on a Czech server) and I don't even notice the block delay with 15 ping.
Then obv the block delay is really broken.. :neutral:

Stabbing Hobo said:
JoG said:
Halcyon said:
Your real ping is actually greater by 40-50 ms than the value that is shown in statistics window. Ping values in server choice window are more or less OK.
You don't have any delay with 50+ ping.
No, you don't get the point... Right now the ingame pingometer is broken on US servers. For example, I know that my ping on US servers is 40-50, and I'm OK with that. But right now for some unknown reason the game treats my ping as being zero (I see 0 in statistics window which is definitely wrong because the servers are on the East coast and I live in ND) and applies blocking penalty to it. So for the last 3 days I have 40-50 ping PLUS blocking penalty which is roughly equivalent to 100+ ping. If you look at statistics window on any of the US servers you'll notice plenty of people having 0 ping which is nonsense. I talked to Destin and other people I know and they confirmed that they have the same issue (Destin's ping is now ~60 instead of usual 100-110 and he also has troubles with it). This bug has already been reported.

Styo said:
switchfoot said:
Then obv the block delay is really broken.. :neutral:

Yes, perhaps it needs to be increased, since Switchfoot hasn't noticed it. Good point Styo. :grin:

To be serious for a moment, I am not sure how to vote for this, because I am a 50+ ping player so haven't been experienced a delay to my own blocking. Similarly, those who do experience a delay probably don't know what it is like to play with a ping of 50+, and they might just be experiencing the game that a high ping player gets. How do we know the low ping players who have felt affected by the delay aren't just finding out how little reaction time high ping players have in Warband? I would presume that the developers have tested it a bit themselves, so they will know what affect it has on the low ping players. Still, some players feel the effect is too much or simply doesn't work well in practice (although Seawied for one may have mistaken lag for this block delay, as his ping is too high for the delay to affect him as I understand it), so I am not going to vote on this.

Back
Top Bottom