[Submod - WIP] Tactical Troop Trees

Users who are viewing this thread

Haha don't worry.

If you don't panic the Nord shield walls are still pretty tough. I beefed up all shields in the game so they are much less likely to break. Trust in your overlapping shields and advance the shield wall even if some people die on the way against the Heavy Crossbowmen or the Swadian Longbowmen. Use Berserkers or other flanking infantry to create chaos while your main line gets in position. The Vaegir cavalry is generally not deployed in great numbers or with enough solidarity to really stop the shield wall (well, some lords might use them exclusively, but that's part of the fun of the whole lord personality system!).

The way you imagined Vaegirs, is quite similar to Russia before Mongol invasion. The best part of its millitary strength were retinues of powerfull nobles and rulers. They were quite versatile, adopting both Scandinavian and nomadic ways of fighting, with, I must say, quite less Byzantine influence. So, this retainers (bogatyrs and druzhiniks) used horses due to long travelling across russian steppe, they were capabale sailors, familiar with bows and light lances, deadly with axes, which were quite different from nordic, especially in late medieval times. Swords were also in use, ussualy imported from west. Scimitars and sabres were more in use after nomadic attacks became stronger after 11th century. Second part of army consisted of citizen militas. They werent so strong during early feudal times (although Novgorod militia was many times mentioned, as Novgorod was always considered strong merchant centre which often opposed authority of monarch), but with colapse of Rurikid power and Mongol invasion, they became stronger, because towns now stood alone against many invaders. Third part of Kievan Rus armies, were mercenaries, usually brought from Scandinavia, but also recruited among northern non-slavic tribes and nomads. I never read about mass conscription of serfs in Kievan Rus, but it seems there are reasons for that: primitive infrastructure and possibility of arming and training them to be capable to stand against nomads, Vikings or Byzantines.
Historical example: during war betwen Vladimir the Great and his brother Yaropolk in 10th century, when Vladimir marched against city of Polotsk, first oponent on way to the throne in Kiev, his army was made from his personal retinue, Vikings he hired in Scandinavia, Chude tribesmen and volunteers provided from Novgorod.
If we talk about Byzantine it is quite diferent and I dont think that thematic organization of early Byzantine armies or Komnenian armies would fit, as I think they were quite advanced to be used as model for Vaegirs. But if you think otherwise, I am open for discusion.
Other slavic countries, those I think were significant during medieval times, have their own millitary traditions. Poland and Czech were quite westernized so I dont think we can find some interesting examples there (although Czech hussite insurgents developed their own tactics, but that is already 15th century, so I dont know should we discuss them? ). Bulgaria in first half of medieval times was predominantly influenced by nomad way of warfare, and later, after First Bulgarian Empire collapsed, they were never big players again. Serbia rose to power during 12-14th centuries, and had its own quite interesting millitary characteristics: it relied a lot on serfs both as mass conscripted army in times of emergency, and as steady source of lightly armed soldiers for troops provided by lords (remote nature of most of Serbia and some ancient tribal influence I think were reasons for that). On the other hand, due to lot of income from trade and especially mining, Serbian nobility often equiped themselves and their paid soldiers with excellent weapons and armors from both east and west.
So this is a little bit of history, its up to you now to say what do you think about it so we can make further discussion. :smile:

Okay that's pretty good information. I'll give some sabers and scimitars to the Vaegirs. I don't really want to put the Byzantine stuff if you think it's different. Honestly what I want is the medieval Russians were like around the time when the Mongolians were first attacking the area, so the info you provided is pretty helpful for that.

Any information on what the militia was typically like? Were they the usual spearman type armies like for the western Europeans?

Just an update. It's the holiday season and it's been quite hectic for me, with my modding taking a back seat as I deal with work and other real life things like parties and family gatherings. Haven't really worked on this mod and it'll probably be on hold until the new year. But I haven't forgotten about it. Whenever I have free time I look at my notes in Notepad++ just so I remember what's going on with the project heheh. Maybe by then Windyplains' update to Floris will already be live, so I can transfer my work to the fixed files.

It's been a while but I'm ready to update with some news heheh. Since the 2.55 source kit has been released I'm transferring my existing work onto it.

No new plans at this point, so as soon as I'm sure the core scripts are working without horrible bugs I might be able to release a public test version. All of the stuff like balancing, etc., will be easier to do when other people are testing it with me. So yeah, I'll focus on the core features first:

- officer/recruitment system
- forced disbanding system
- lord personalities affecting troop types

As soon as we're sure those are working fine, I can start working on the "Other Plans" section as listed in the first post.

I have a quick question about submods generally.
How does this submod thing work?
I mean, when we download a mod pack and "install" it, we have the option to choose native or the new mod etc.
Will the submod thing work the same way as well, i.e will we have an option to choose between either Native, normal Floris and submodded Floris?
Or will this new submod write over normal Floris?

It depends on the modder. In my case I just make a copy of the Floris folder with my edited files, rename the folder and the mod in module.ini so that people know the difference. It's necessary for this mod because it's a complete overhaul. Some submods don't need to go that far, since they only change a few little things without changing much of the base mod. It's as simple as dropping .txt files into the folder.

Actually technically all you need to do for my submod too (when I release it anwyay) is to drop the .txt files into the folder. However this will overwrite the default Floris files and it will not be save compatible, so you might not want that.

There will be optional files for download later on like fixed meshes, music files, voice/sound effects, etc., and I'll give instructions for each of those as necessary at a later date.

Excuse me but I am a little bit lost.

Hanakoganei said:
It depends on the modder. In my case I just make a copy of the Floris folder with my edited files, rename the folder and the mod in module.ini so that people know the difference. It's necessary for this mod because it's a complete overhaul.
Reading here, I understand that we can have two different Floris modes.

Hanakoganei said:
Actually technically all you need to do for my submod too (when I release it anwyay) is to drop the .txt files into the folder. However this will overwrite the default Floris files and it will not be save compatible, so you might not want that.
But here, I understand that your mod will overwrite Floris.

Which one is true?

Back
Top Bottom