Spears on backs

Who likes the spears velcro attached to the back?

• I do I do!

Votes: 46 39.3%
  • It is silly and obscures my view

Votes: 71 60.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

mouthnhoof

Knight at Arms
I hate it. Spears / pikes / whatever were not carried on the back. The great strength of Hegemony is historical accuracy. I don't know where the "spear on my back" came from (most likely some fantasy game), but it is ridiculous. First, there is no practical way to attach it. Second, it will be extremely inconvenient to carry this way if you found a way to do it.

Please, no spears on back when unequipped. I find it less silly to have the spear magically disappear, but that is personal taste.

mouthnhoof said:
I hate it. Spears / pikes / whatever were not carried on the back. The great strength of Hegemony is historical accuracy. I don't know where the "spear on my back" came from (most likely some fantasy game), but it is ridiculous. First, there is no practical way to attach it. Second, it will be extremely inconvenient to carry this way if you found a way to do it.

I think it just comes from the fact that you can swop from spears to other weapons and back again in this and most other games. Realistically, swopping from a spear to a secondary weapon would involve dropping the spear, but that doesn't seem to be possible in M&B. Equally carrying a great axe stuck onto your back with superglue looks pretty silly.

I've always wondered, could we maybe put the sheathed spear into the left hand?

there are holsters for spears, but usually they either dropped the spear, or held on to it with their shield hand while using their javelins, or some such.  the reason why you see it on the back so much is because that offers the most practical placement during the rigors of combat.  of course this is a game, and thus being on the back means that your view is obscured, unlike in real life when you'd place it on the back in order to keep it from obscuring your vision.  all in all it is silly to use a spear or shield and try to swap it out at all in combat.  hopefully when the major publishers start making clones of this game they will address these issues, but that will take a lot of time and luck.

so i would like to see it disappear, since that is more functional, although less realistic.

Personally Id like to see couched lance damage be able to penetrate up to 3 persons in one run, but the lance/spear should break after 3 couched dmg kills.

Apart from that, the OP is right. you can start a battle with a spear, but as soon as you change your weapon you should drop the spear. thatd b friggin uber cool. especially if the spear remains as a pickup on the bf like weapons on corpses you can pick up.

er..

I cant really think of any troops that have spears on their backs in the mod.

Only heroes if you choose to equip them as such.

I guess maybe some horse archers. thats about it.

ealabor said:
er..

yeah, it's not a troop problem, but it's bad for the player. Is my suggestion impossible to do?

It's not an obstruction of view if you play first person like a real warrior! :lol: Now, if it would be possible to have the spear dropped or held in the left hand like suggested, yeah, that'd be really cool. Personally though, I'm not irked if things stay the way they are.

Merlkir said:
you wouldn't put a spear on your back ever. Especially in combat.

you'd never sheath anything in combat, even today soldiers don't sheath their spent clips, they drop them.  the only time i have heard of a spear being sheathed on the back in combat is by archers who used the spear as a backup weapon, thus they didn't sheath the weapon in combat, they pulled it out when they needed a melee weapon.  i have never heard of someone sheathing their sword in order to get a dagger or some such while actually in combat, they would drop the sword if they were going to grab another weapon.

ealabor said:
er..

This is mostly player related. Then it is most disturbing (especially the obscuration to 3rd person view).

Really, I find it only mildly annoying at most, and I barely notice it most of the time. But really, I don't get why someone would have to go through the difficult process of coding and finding a way to switch the spear from the right hand to the left, or dropping the weapon, just because of a mild inconvenience. Really, if you want to go into that level of realism, you can go ahead and go to the nearest reenactment convention.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Really, I find it only mildly annoying at most, and I barely notice it most of the time. But really, I don't get why someone would have to go through the difficult process of coding and finding a way to switch the spear from the right hand to the left, or dropping the weapon, just because of a mild inconvenience. Really, if you want to go into that level of realism, you can go ahead and go to the nearest reenactment convention.

places where weapons are sheated should be modifiable quite easily, that's why I'm asking about the left hand - because it just looks damned stupid to have a spear on my back!

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:

I'd sure go to those if we had them near my city...

Ealabor said that heroes are pretty much the only people you'd see with a spear on their backs.  Seeing as the player tends to fill the role of an officer, it would be unrealistic for him to sheathe his spear OR drop it.  An officer would just hand it off to one of his lackeys...  :mrgreen:

Merlkir said:
yeah, it's not a troop problem, but it's bad for the player. Is my suggestion impossible to do?

No it's not possible. It can only me manipulated to any of the flags for holsters now, none of which place an inactive weapon in the hand.

You likely could change the positioning of one of the holster positions for it and place it in the hand, but it's not going to adjust to the skeleton animations, meaning that when the players hands flail around, the spear won't stay with the hand, giving the impression that the spear would be hovering.

Just remove the carry_spear or something similar flag from the spears. Making the spear carried in the left hand is going to be difficult (I think 867AD mod had javelins in the left with the shield?). Of course this is a very low priority item since anyone can just use the item editor to remove this flag from all the spears.

That sucks. Holy War used to have different body spots for different shields, but I didn't think of the animation issue..

Of course its not a problem of utmost importance, but this forum is here for discussion so we use it. its is very good that the "problem" doesnt occur on troops. I think this is something tw should be adressed with, not E.

but still, spear on back always felt strange, also to me.

jamoecw said:
Merlkir said:
you wouldn't put a spear on your back ever. Especially in combat.

you'd never sheath anything in combat, even today soldiers don't sheath their spent clips, they drop them.  the only time i have heard of a spear being sheathed on the back in combat is by archers who used the spear as a backup weapon, thus they didn't sheath the weapon in combat, they pulled it out when they needed a melee weapon.  i have never heard of someone sheathing their sword in order to get a dagger or some such while actually in combat, they would drop the sword if they were going to grab another weapon.

I think you've watched too many movies.

Back
Top Bottom