SP - Battles & Sieges Some vital battle commands

Users who are viewing this thread

Egolith

Recruit
I have some battle/siege commands that would be extremely useful in battles or sieges:

- "Attack this target", tell units to attack a specific target. This is especially useful in sieges when you want to breach a wall quickly.

- "Shields out", tells your units to pull out their shields and be defensive. NOTE: This is different shield wall, as shield wall creates a tight formation which might not be something that you want.

- Modifying "Fire at will" to a few selectable commands like, "Fire at will, Hold fire, Use melee, Volley here, Target (insert specific unit type)"

- "Protect your brethren", tell certain units to protect another unit type. This would be specifically useful when you want infantry to protect your archers and act like bodyguards.

- Add something like a Tactics option, which gives commands such as, "Hit and run, Ambush, Flank (specific unit type), Encircle."

+1
Great idea here, would be extremely helpful for some players that want to have more of a battle commander type of playthrough rather than a warrior.

How about some special commands for attacking in siege?

Use Ladders
Use Siege tower
Use battering ram
Stick to cover

It would give the player alot more control so you could order your elites to scale the walls while your recruits break down the gate. Or have your vulnerable troops hide behind barricades until the enemy lose some archers. And you can force your troops to ignore siege equipment(dont use the ladders walk through the open gate!)

I agree with all of these. I would also like to see the advance ten paces command from warband and the advance command should have your army maintain it's current formation as it advances, instead of everyone running forward at their max speed.

I really would love Charge to work in a more controlled way, where you can control the destination of the charge. When I direct my infantry to engage the frontline, order my cavalry to follow me to get behind the enemy positions, order them to Charge while aiming at the archers/back of the frontline and my Cavalry decides to run around chasing their few harassing Horse Archers, it's quite annoying.

Turning over a troop to their sergeants is a cool function currently available, but it would be that much better if we could inform them geneally what their role is. It would tie nicely with OP post, and could be a way to implement some of the above.
Also, +1 to advance/full back ten paces. I loved in warband that feature and used it heavily and miss it.

Thanks everyone for the support!

I had another idea that deals with battle commands that I would consider a little more ambitious for the dev team to implement. What it would be is something like a "Tactics Mode", in which you go into a bird's-eye view of the battle/siege and could implement commands that way. In my mind, I am thinking of something similar to the Total War battle screen (if you want to visualize a comparison). Would be fun if you wanted to play as a tactician.

- "Attack this target", tell units to attack a specific target. This is especially useful in sieges when you want to breach a wall quickly.

I sometimes wish for such a command even with field battles but then again I think this is the charm and part of Mount & Blade gameplay. I mean if you could tell every section to attack a specific enemy section it would turn into somewhat of a Total War game in 3rd person.
I honestly prefer the chaos and the fact you can`t control everything during battle.
I also don`t think "armys" during that time period were as organized and disciplined for commands as you would think. There weren`t like 20 horn signals each soldier could recognizes.
I don`t want to deal with such a micro complexity in Mount & Blade it doesn`t fit the game if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom