Some thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

FrisianDude

Archduke
Hello all. :smile:
I'll apologize in advance for making this new thread, but it seems to me I'd need to post in quite a lot of threads to make sure everything I'm about to post is on-topic.
I've downloaded this mod and have constantly been amazed with it and the quality in which it is made. A few questions sprung up in my head while playing though;

I've noticed that horsemen with caparisoned horses and surcoat over mail tend almost always to match. How did you do that? Does native do that or did you pull some remarkable and impressive scripting to make that happen? In case I'm wording it too vaguely; I mean that when a knight has a yellow surcoat with two lions on it, his horse has a yellow caparison with two lions on it. This helps make knights look quite a lot more impressive than the gaudy men-at-arms. :razz:
I've had Cuman Tribesmen, Cuman Horsemen and Cuman Horse Archers in my party but besides their name they don't seem to be connected. Is it a feature or a small design flaw that tribesmen don't upgrade into horsemen and that horsemen don't upgrade into horse archers?
I've recruited some town levy and have also upgrade some, of course, and it struck me as odd that an utter noob such as a townsman (which is an upgrade of town levy, which also seemed a bit odd, but less so) upgrades in one step to a Veteran Swordsman. :eek: Shouldn't they be a regular swordsman first?
Those pop-ups at the start of each day regarding possible causes for war, is it really necessary that we see all of them? :???:

Lastly, I've noticed some features in your mod that are a lot like what I've been planning for mine. I hope you don't consider it too much of a problem if the Sultan's Successors also has Knights-Errant and Robber Knights? :wink:

Aside from all of that; I've been enjoying this mod immensely. :smile:

FrisianDude said:
I've noticed that horsemen with caparisoned horses and surcoat over mail tend almost always to match. How did you do that? Does native do that or did you pull some remarkable and impressive scripting to make that happen? In case I'm wording it too vaguely; I mean that when a knight has a yellow surcoat with two lions on it, his horse has a yellow caparison with two lions on it. This helps make knights look quite a lot more impressive than the gaudy men-at-arms. :razz:
Those are assigned through a script, native M&B didn't support that.  I'm not sure if there is such a mechanism in warband.  For now the script does it just like in M&B.

FrisianDude said:
I've had Cuman Tribesmen, Cuman Horsemen and Cuman Horse Archers in my party but besides their name they don't seem to be connected. Is it a feature or a small design flaw that tribesmen don't upgrade into horsemen and that horsemen don't upgrade into horse archers?
That must be a bug, they should follow the upgrade path you mentioned.  I'll take a look at it.

FrisianDude said:
I've recruited some town levy and have also upgrade some, of course, and it struck me as odd that an utter noob such as a townsman (which is an upgrade of town levy, which also seemed a bit odd, but less so) upgrades in one step to a Veteran Swordsman. :eek: Shouldn't they be a regular swordsman first?
I think what Mooncabbage said is the problem

FrisianDude said:
Those pop-ups at the start of each day regarding possible causes for war, is it really necessary that we see all of them? :???:

Native warband feature, I just made incidents happen more often to, hopefully, cause more strife :razz:

FrisianDude said:
Lastly, I've noticed some features in your mod that are a lot like what I've been planning for mine. I hope you don't consider it too much of a problem if the Sultan's Successors also has Knights-Errant and Robber Knights? :wink:
Aside from all of that; I've been enjoying this mod immensely. :smile:

Yeah, sure.  If you ever design scenes for robber knight castles, will you share? :razz:

Oooh robber knight castle, sounds like fun. Although I suspect that the base for the ingame robber knights is more likely to be something like helm's deep, a wall across a naturally defensible position or similar.

othr said:
Those are assigned through a script, native M&B didn't support that.  I'm not sure if there is such a mechanism in warband.  For now the script does it just like in M&B.
I didn't know there was such a script in M&B? :???: Anyway, I thought so already, that you made it, very good. Care to share? :razz:

About Robber Knight castle scenes;
Should I ever make one, or multiple, I will. :smile:

Mooncabbage said:
Oooh robber knight castle, sounds like fun. Although I suspect that the base for the ingame robber knights is more likely to be something like helm's deep, a wall across a naturally defensible position or similar.
  I was more thinking of a relatively solitary and (relatively) small keep with some extra-crappy hovels around it. Will have to finish porting first before I make any new stuff, so we'll see.

The script is mine.  It works off a trigger, kind of like heraldic mail.  You can override an agent's horse, but nothing else unfortunately.  I tried to have matching helmets too but that failed.

Yeah something small, no ladder/chokepoint kind of thing.  Enough of those already.

othr said:
The script is mine.  It works off a trigger, kind of like heraldic mail.  You can override an agent's horse, but nothing else unfortunately.  I tried to have matching helmets too but that failed.
Hmm, that's too bad. That's really too bad. :???:

Yeah something small, no ladder/chokepoint kind of thing.  Enough of those already.
  Maybe something similar but weaker and probably less awesome than some of the smaller ones in this thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,115163.0.html

Speaking of scripts, would it be possible to have horses from your inventory appear next to your chest "tethered" so they don't move? Mine tend to get knocked out by spear wielding bastards, and it'd be realistic to have a spare. Probably not possible though.

Oh my god the castles. THE CASTLES. They are SO much better than what we have now, imo atleast. Motte & Bailey castles might be functional for an upgraded village, if it's possible to trigger the change. I think it would be great to have those in the mod though.

No, I don't think that is possible. Unless you'd get invisible troops riding the horses and that you'd have to put those invisible troops in a different command group to your regular horsemen. Then you can get 'empty' horses standing next to your chest. :razz: You'd have to order them to dismount in order to use the horse, though. And enemies are prone to attacking them anyway.

Next thing to be asked by Moon, is a personal squire, furnishing him his horse and lance (sorry, forgot, WINGED MACE  :razz: ) right before battle, a personal herald to negotiate with the enemies and most probably a sweet mistress awaiting at a tent in the edge of the battlefield to congratulate the homecoming hero right on the spot  :razz: :razz: :razz:

Ah, that squire will also provide with additional mounts when Moon's destrier is lanced right under his feet  :razz: :razz: :razz:

Just to derail the thread a bit, regarding the horses. I know some mods had you being able to "whistle" for your horse and it came running. Might it be possible to have a similar function for a replacement horse?

Alkiviades said:
Next thing to be asked by Moon, is a personal squire, furnishing him his horse and lance (sorry, forgot, WINGED MACE  :razz: ) right before battle, a personal herald to negotiate with the enemies and most probably a sweet mistress awaiting at a tent in the edge of the battlefield to congratulate the homecoming hero right on the spot  :razz: :razz: :razz:

Ah, that squire will also provide with additional mounts when Moon's destrier is lanced right under his feet  :razz: :razz: :razz:

Hear Hear! Sounds good to me.

Some kind of system for replacement horses outside knocking someone else off theirs would be good though.

Yeah, sure.  If you ever design scenes for robber knight castles, will you share? :razz:

In terms of castle scenes - have you seen the ones used in siege mod? They are pretty impressive maybe worth a look at if you want some more designs.

Bump with a question; your miniature steppe horses, you probably did that via the module_items.py, right? At first I thought you'd have a small steppe horse model, but I couldn't find that anywhere, so that can't be the case. Btw, those covered horse meshes, who made those? The texture is really good. :razz:

You can scale horses in module_items.py, I forget the flag that does it but it's there in the code.

Which horses in particular?  Some are Spanky's, some are CrazyIvan's, some are kuauik's and some are mine.

Back
Top Bottom