Some questions on Scene size

Users who are viewing this thread

Greetings

I have a couple questions for experienced sceners, server owners and moderators/administrators.

But first, let me give you some background info (though I promise I will not overextend myself). I have the objective of editing a scene in NW, in order to create a training camp for a NW regiment. I’m still in the early stages of scene editing and while I have researched some ideas, I still have a long way to go.

I managed to create a .sco file in SceneObj on my Napoleonic Wars folder, which I named "Training_Camp". The new scene “Training_Camp” is visible through the admin panel when you host a dedicated server.

dvbTVj.jpg

In Modules>Napoleonic Wars>scenes.txt you have the scene id and the respective terrain code.

For an example
Code:
scn_mp_ambush mp_ambush 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x000000023002a1ba0004210900003ca000006a8900007a7b
 outer_terrain_plain

What I want is to have the biggest terrain possible to build upon. Now there are some ways to go about it. The method I took was to start a native campaign (in windowed mode/edit mode), go to “terrain” and generate a terrain with 5 meters Polygon Size, moving the sliders for Size Y and Size X all the way to the right. I then copied that terrain code and pasted it where appropriate.

Code:
scn_mp_training_camp mp_Training_camp 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x0000000730000500000d074800000c960000750900003615
 outer_terrain_plain

The other method I heard people do is to just pick a map and edit it.

Let me add that I have a notion that the biggest maps in Warband can be found in two mods for Warband, Persistent World and Persistent Frontier. My guess is if I can copy the terrain code of a massive Persistent World scene and paste it in my own scene, I can then edit it and have a much bigger canvas to work on.

Now come the questions:
  1. How do you measure the size of a particular scene? (I’m not refering to the file size in Kb).
  2. Can you convert that unit of measure to meters? So you can compare scenes, i.e. compare a native generated scene with the maximum size possible with the largest PW or PF map.
That’s it for my questions. Please answer the questions like so...
1. Well you do it like...
2. No, that's not possible, because...

Thanks in advance. Answer whenever possible, I'll reply.
Fusilier

Solution
As answered as in the other question thread of yours:
Regarding the maximum size: (source modding discord discussion)
What is the size in reality of maximum size Warband scene?
You mean in real life meters? I think in comparison to a human character, one node is roughly equivalent to one meter. So the maximum size of a scene is a bit more than one square kilometer (max side length is slightly over 1000m I think?)
1020 with a polygon size of 5 meters
1000 with a size of 4, 750 with 3, 500 with 2
There are sceneprops which have a measure coming with them, the siege ladders (6, 8, 10, 12, 14 meters). You can go on and lay them next to each other to measure them. Might take a while though.
As answered as in the other question thread of yours:
Regarding the maximum size: (source modding discord discussion)
What is the size in reality of maximum size Warband scene?
You mean in real life meters? I think in comparison to a human character, one node is roughly equivalent to one meter. So the maximum size of a scene is a bit more than one square kilometer (max side length is slightly over 1000m I think?)
1020 with a polygon size of 5 meters
1000 with a size of 4, 750 with 3, 500 with 2
There are sceneprops which have a measure coming with them, the siege ladders (6, 8, 10, 12, 14 meters). You can go on and lay them next to each other to measure them. Might take a while though.

Upvote 0
Solution

Hello Eärendil the Mariner

I will try your method and let you know about the results.

If anyone else wants to contribute to the discussion go ahead.​
I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a more efficient way of measuring scene size in meters.​

Best regards,
Fusilier

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Eärendil the Mariner

I used siege ladders of 10 meters to measure the sides of the scenes and came up with the following results:

For the terrain code extracted from having started a native campaign (in windowed mode/edit mode), go to “terrain” and generate a terrain with 5 meters Polygon Size, moving the sliders for Size Y and Size X all the way to the right, I measured 808m v 804m for an area of 649 632 m2.

For the two Persistent Frontier mod maps "New England" and "Big Forest" I got 985m x 970m for an area of 955 450 m2 and 1000m x 998m for an area of 998 000 m2 (close to 1 million m2), respectively.

I tried to measure a random generated map "Random Plains (Large)" but it was impossible to remove the vegetation so I gave up on it.

I then measured two NW maps Minden (Morning) and Borodino (Morning) for 486m x 485m for an area of 235 710 m2 and 810m x 810m for an area – of 652 100m2.

In conclusion, I was able to import to NW the .sco file and terrain code for Big Forest and now have a terrain for building a scene with an area of approximately 1 million m2. :smile:

Thank you for all the help.

Question solved.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom