Some questions about the Diplomacy Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Amerlain

Regular
While I do love the vanilla game and am reluctant to mod it, I do find the diplomacy in the base game to be too binary (too much war or too little peace). Also, I am a big believer in defensive war as a last resort and everlasting peace without conquest. So, in other words defensive alliances and widespread and prevailing non-aggression pacts, among other tools of detente. Are these things possible with the Diplomacy Mod? Also, how buggy is it...are there a lot of major bugs?

It's the correct and intended way of how you should experience Bannerlord.

intended? perhaps

correct? the only conventions or standards that matter at the end of the day are the player's.

Last edited:
While I do love the vanilla game and am reluctant to mod it, I do find the diplomacy in the base game to be too binary (too much war or too little peace). Also, I am a big believer in defensive war as a last resort and everlasting peace without conquest. So, in other words defensive alliances and widespread and prevailing non-aggression pacts, among other tools of detente. Are these things possible with the Diplomacy Mod? Also, how buggy is it...are there a lot of major bugs?
As a mod user...
Bannerlord.Harmony: v2.2.2.140
BetterExceptionWindow: v6.2.0
Bannerlord.ButterLib: v2.6.1
Bannerlord.UIExtenderEx: v2.4.0
Bannerlord.MBOptionScreen: v5.3.1
Native: v1.0.1
SandBoxCore: v1.0.1
Sandbox: v1.0.1
CustomBattle: v1.0.1
StoryMode: v1.0.1
BirthAndDeath: v1.0.1
AdonnaysTroopChanger: v1.8.8
EnableAchievement: v0.0.2
OnGovernorChangedWorkAround: e1.1.0
OnHeroHealedWhileWaitingWorkAround: e2.0.0
WeaponGapFix: v1.0.7
ImprovedGarrisons: v4.1.1.8
Vexillum: e1.5.2
RaiseYourBannerPlus: v6.2.0
Bannerlord.Diplomacy: v1.1.16
Warbandlord: v1.0.0.0
CharacterManager: v3.3.0
CustomSpawns: v1.9.3
CalradiaAtWar: v1.9.0
Separatism: v1.0.2
AllegianceOverhaul: v2.3.3
HousesCalradia: v1.2.9.1
MarryAnyone: v3.0.4
Cheats: v2.13.0.0
hotbutter: v1.7.3 don't get me started again... you know what? screw this. I have my freedoms. Unless you pay my bills, I will justify nothing to you. Support me on patreon, youtube and paypal, please
FamilyControl: v1.0.0
zCaptivityEvents: v1.0.1.1036
zCEDefaults: v1.0.1.1036
zCEBandit: v1.0.1.1036
BastardChildren: v5.0.0.0
BastardChildrenHotButter: v0.0.1
BannerColorPersistence: v1.4.1
MBFastDialogue: v2.5.5
CalradiaExpanded: a1.1.9
AIExecutioner: v1.2.5
LordRetinueUptier: v1.0.3
BetterTime: v1.2.7
Pacemaker: v1.2.8.0
ChangingCulture: v1.5.9
GovernorsHandleIssues: v1.0.1.2
KingdomDestruction: v0.0.1
PlayerExecuteEdit: v1.6.2
DismembermentPlus: v2.0.5.4
AgricultureEstate: v1.0.14
HybridBlocking: v1.2.0
PowerfulHeroes: v1.1.3
DistinguishedService: v5.2.0
MinorPartySizeIncrease: v0.0.1
IDontCare: v2.5.2
Bannerlord.LeaveOnClick: v1.0.2
NoTimeLimit: v1.0.3
Aragas.CastleTownWithHorse: v1.0.9
RandomEvents: v1.0.1
ArrangeMarriageForFamily: v1.0.5
WaitUntilFullyRested: v0.0.1
SmithyWSTweak: e1.0.0
BetterSmithingContinued: v1.0.0.7
DefendYourself: v1.2.0
WarCry: v4.1.0
MoreArenas: e1.5.5
RealSpacetimeContinuumMod: v3.3.19
TheColorOfProfits: v1.0.0
RecruitEveryone: v1.3.2
EarnYourBanner: v1.0.0
TroopSort: v1.0.5.0
SortedIncome: v3.1.8
Transmog: v2.0.4
NeatedsNPCsUpgradeEquipment: e1.0.0.3
MercFix: v1.0.0
SettlementIconRedesign: v1.0.6
FriendlyTroopBannerHotkeys: v1.5.2
SupplyLines: v1.6.5
GarrisonDoSomething: v1.2.11
HeroesMustDie: v1.9.6
UsefulAlternativeAttacks: v0.0.1
PushTheLimits: v1.3.1
XorberaxLegacy: v1.0.4.5
UnlimitedMaxAttribute: v0.0.1
NoArmyRestriction: v1.2.0
RealisticWeather: v1.1.7
ScalingHP: v1.0.0
SpearBannerFix: v1.1.0
ArmorBalance: v1.0.1
TakeBoth: v1.0.1
TrueController: v1.0.3
TrueSieges: v1.2.0
TrueBattleLoot: v1.2.6
TrueRansoms: v1.0.8
TrueRecruitmentCosts: v1.2.3
TrueRelations: v1.5.4
TrueTownGold: v1.0.3
Bannerlord.CCsBanners: v3.2.0
BetterCompanion: v0.0.7
AEW - Adonnays Exotic Weaponry: v2.3.3
HelmetHairContinuedPlus: v2.3.0
CalradiaRisingArmory: e1.8.0
swadian armoury: v1.0.0
Sarranid_Armory: v1.0.0
CJ's Vanilla Items: v1.2.0
WomeninCalradia: v4.3.0
LongerCraftingParts: v1.0.4
GripMyAxe: v1.0.0
ReasonableThrowingWeapons: v1.0.1
Camel Armor: e1.5.2
BahamutArmory: e1.5.2
UltimateMountsReforged: v1.2.0
OpenSourceArmory: v1.13.5
OpenSourceSaddlery: v1.2.5
OpenSourceWeaponry: v1.2.5
CalradiaExpandedKingdoms: v1.2.3
BannerKings: v1.2.0
RBM: v3.3.3
DeReMilitari: v4.2.0
Norman Armory: e1.5.2
HoodRecolor: e1.5.2
Brynhild: v1.0.0
Morgana: v1.0.0
William: v1.0.0
Magic Holsters: v1.2.0
zCulturedStart: v1.3.5
ServeAsSoldier: v1.0.1
ButterEquipped: v1.3.0
AIValuesLife: v1.14.6
ImprovedCombatAI: e2.4.3
BattleMiniMap: v1.1.5
ImmersiveSergeant: v1.6.0
SimpleShieldPatterns: v1.0.1
PocColor: v1.0.41
ClanArmy: v1.0.0
PartyAIOverhaulCommands: v1.0.0
zzCharacterCreation: v1.4.7.148
Bannerlord.XPTweaks: v1.2.2
FireGraphicsBlood: e1.8.1
Megacles: v1.0.0
Nicanor: v1.0.0
Twins: v1.0.0
BannerCraft: v1.0.6
BannerEditor: v1.0.1
ChangeLeader: v0.3.0
KingdomPoliticsExpanded: v1.0.2.0

I can attest that the Diplomacy mod is absolutely beautiful and necessary.
It allows both Non-aggression (peace) treaties and alliances, you can use the Mod Config Menu to configure how many days those treaties last, I left non-aggr. to the default 100 days (which in vanilla terms amounts to about 1,3 year? in my modded game, with Pacemaker, I changed years to last only 4 weeks (1/season), so 28 days/year, which amounts to ~5year peace treaties (still 100 days). But alliances I've made to last something between 350 and 500, which amounts to ~10years or more in-game, which really changes the game a bit. Diplomacy feels better.
Edit: it even allows you to change how war exhaustion works (as well as adding nice graphics for each war you're currently going through), so you can configure war exaustion to accumulate more quickly or slowly, so wars last shorter or longer, respectively, according to your taste (as in each casualty/loss/conquest adds #% to war exhaustion, the bigger the number, the sorter the war.

I've also just added the Kingdom Politics Expanded from the workshop, and it seems to make internal politics better (those votings and decisions), I've also added Banner Kings, which is a completely different beast of its own, I haven't really played with these 3 politics-changing mods together yet, but the game didn't crash on start, so that's an absolute win in my modderbook.

correct? the only conventions or standards that matter at the end of the day are the player's.
I do believe that was a joke, you see? But I wholeheartedly agree with your statement.

I can attest that the Diplomacy mod is absolutely beautiful and necessary.
It allows both Non-aggression (peace) treaties and alliances, you can use the Mod Config Menu to configure how many days those treaties last, I left non-aggr. to the default 100 days (which in vanilla terms amounts to about 1,3 year? in my modded game, with Pacemaker, I changed years to last only 4 weeks (1/season), so 28 days/year, which amounts to ~5year peace treaties (still 100 days). But alliances I've made to last something between 350 and 500, which amounts to ~10years or more in-game, which really changes the game a bit. Diplomacy feels better.
Edit: it even allows you to change how war exhaustion works (as well as adding nice graphics for each war you're currently going through), so you can configure war exaustion to accumulate more quickly or slowly, so wars last shorter or longer, respectively, according to your taste (as in each casualty/loss/conquest adds #% to war exhaustion, the bigger the number, the sorter the war.

Thank you for the information. It does sound nice and being able to set the time limits for each type of treaty sounds especially useful and pleasant. I am taking a little break from playing the game right now but when I get back to Bannerlord again I think I will try the mod out.

I've also just added the Kingdom Politics Expanded from the workshop, and it seems to make internal politics better (those votings and decisions), I've also added Banner Kings, which is a completely different beast of its own, I haven't really played with these 3 politics-changing mods together yet, but the game didn't crash on start, so that's an absolute win in my modderbook.

These also sound like they would be interesting and fun for me. Not sure I will try these right away, but eventually I might get around to them. Thanks again.

I understand the hesitation to mod since it quickly becomes a rabbit hole of "I need this", "That looks neat!", and before you know it you've got like 25-50 mods half of which you only have faintest idea what they do or did.

That said there's no reason to not get Diplomacy mod if you ask me, only bad thing is once you try it you probably won't be able to go back to vanilla without it.

It might have a compatibility issue if TW ever releases their own Diplomacy patch, but that's months or years away knowing TW. And honestly I don't think what they'll implement will be as good as the Diplomacy Mod at this point. TW has some weird logic where instant war/fief communications are okay, but sending a messenger to another Lord to arrange a marriage/prisoner release? Out of the question! (Even though A.I. does this already...) Non-Agression Pacts are absolutely vital to stop all the constant idiotic war declarations, which become an absolute chore in late game.

I don't believe it's that buggy, though I haven't tried out actual Kingdom management with it myself. Very few mods ever introduce bugs to my knowledge, certainly nothing worse than what TW typically creates either with any of their patches.

I consider it a blessing we can still select multiple formations in battle!

While Ill always advocate Mods - you also gotta see the risk in that when it takes 80+ mods to excite a game or even less make it worthwhile/interesting or calibrated -what motive does the Game Desginer need to release a finish calibrated product thats "fun to win" on its own right? When every user is using a different setup -we're in a very real sense playing different games so theres not much to relate to wise fellow gamers for that title. Again Id say look at PoP mod -to this day ill have a chat with someone about something that happned to them 10 years ago "I was being hunted by Jatu raiders and couldnt outrun them so i headed for Noldor woods hoping for..." type scenarios that I can still remember. That kind of shared gamesmanship just doesnt happen here because frankly its boring as balls and lacks illustrative cohesion

I'm using the Diplomacy mod since long and never had crash problems related to it (as fas as I can tell from the crash reports). I have generally a very stable BL (with about my normal load of 20 mods) and crashes very seldomly.

I would advocate to try Diplomacy. For the messenger system alone the mod deserves to be used. The diplomacy itself is maybe a bit better than vanilla and offers more options, but don't expect wonders.

I'm currently playing with RBM and Banner Kings and Diplomacy (and the usual mods, like Improved Garrisons, Detailed Character Creation, Arena Overhaul, RTS, Break In, Kill Them All, Configurable Battle Scenes, OSA, True Sieges etc.), so far no big problems.

However peace is a relatively constant feature in the playthrough and Banner Kings can make peace quite annoying. Not only does it make troops much more expensive and troop upgrading slower (therefore I use a mod to train troops), it also makes it very difficult to get your first fief. It may be nice to use Banner Kings options if you got one, but in the one war I had since start (as Khuzait) I was not even on the vote list for a fief. So in 1088 I'm still roaming around as fiefless vassal, one of the most boring experiences in BL for my taste, I have an expensive and slow big party without the possibility to park troops in a fief and do some other stuff; disbanding would be a terrible option because of the very slow leveling in Banner Kings. A bad concoction ...
Take also into account, as Banner Kings has a kind of marshal system, that as vassal you are mostly hindered to play actively for a longer time. In vanilla you can summon a small army to help others or defend your fief, in Banner Kings you cannot till you have high rang, you have to trust the AI to help you if you have a fief under attack. That may be realistic (and fantastic for the Warband fans), but it is a questionable realism, like week-long recovery for heroes shot in a FPS. We all know that the AI in BL is "brilliant".... I will delete Banner Kings for my next playthrough, it's features are not a compensation for the vexation it offers. Of course that's personal taste.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom