Some Dory advice pls

Users who are viewing this thread

It's easy enough to fight with the xiphos and other short swords, but when i use the dory i almost always only manage to get single digit damage values.
I tried standing at the back of the phalanx and poking overhead, and it is ok against cavalry, but when the enemy is about 3 steps away from me and i poke them it feels like it merely tickles them slightly instead of actually thrusting a spear.
So i was wondering... could the spear not have a "push back" effect? something that makes it a little more effective.
At the moment its a little too easy for enemies with short swords to just rush a phalanx and get into melee combat, while historically being met with a wall of spearheads would certainly keep attackers at a distance no?

that'd require some kind of formations, like anno 1257 or rome at war.
i read in a post made by the creator (antonis) that he would try something.
anyway when the ennemy get near it's time for short stuff to come out!
and the greatest news is that a new version (update) will come tommorow posssibly
or the day after!

another solution is to use morghs editor and increase thrust damage.

Actually i switched from my heavy broadhead dory to a slim balanced one and it stabs superfast, so it might've been just that one. But yea outside of formation and in close combat the xiphos does the job very well... especially with the new animations.

About the dory, you need to apply the latest patch, as that issue has been fixed. I also raised the damage for the next version, so that'd be good. That pushing 'effect' was meant to be historically accurate, it was called ώθησις, I think, but with the silly Warband enemy AI it doesn't work as intented as they just charge. That's why I advise to play on the difficult settings, as in those, the enemy tends to form rows and hold instead of going, well, medieval.  :razz:

hehe yea i downloaded the patch and by now with my balanced dory i can take down quiet a few enemies in a row. Plus the added benefit of ... not dying behind my hoplon.
Most of the time i stay behind my troops, form phalanx and when the enemy is really close i let them charge and pull them back again when a few units break through the ranks.
So far it works :smile:

Back
Top Bottom