Smartphone recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Okay, I'll admit it, I've never had a smartphone. Or a cellphone of any kind, for that matter. However, if I'm going to go out and get a job and/or study next year, it's time I joined the modern world and got myself one. I'll do some research of my own, of course, but I'm interested to hear which ones you guys recommend. I don't need the latest and greatest model, just something good that'll last me a while and won't break the bank.

Recommend Android.  Had good experiences with Taiwanese ones.  HTCs can take a drop or 5.  Currently using a zenfone ultra 3 6.8" and no complaints.  I might recommend Xiaomi if you want a cheap phone that you can replace easily.  I've heard good things about them but never used them.

Before making a recommendation, I'll have to be a douche and tell you that it is the norm for kids in the elementary school to have smartphones. I really didn't see that coming.

Now, when thinking about buying one, you really need to know what it's going to be useful for. People use to throw close to $1 000 for a single gadget, but before doing that, ask yourself whether that's worth your effort or not. There are smartphones way cheaper than that which can do pretty much the same thing as the latest iPhone of the year, and still have enough style to turn a head or two. I own a Galaxy J5, which I bought for around $210, and I think it fulfills any task that would be required from a modern smartphone.

Be very careful with one detail though: storage space. The [in-built] software [bloatware that you can't delete but the phone forces you to use, essentially, like Google Plus] evolves very quickly, and the storage space it requires grows proportionally. Make sure that the internal memory of your phone is good enough and has an extra slot for a micro SD. My phone got 16Gb of internal memory, and I'm already thinking of buying a memory card for it.

Also, pay attention to the battery. You'd want something that goes over 3000mAh.

The Bowman said:
Before making a recommendation, I'll have to be a douche and tell you that it is the norm for kids in the elementary school to have smartphones. I really didn't see that coming.
You're not being douche-y to tell me that; I'm well aware of it. I've just never had enough use for a cellphone to be able to justify spending the money on one.

And yeah, I know sod all about what I should be looking for, so your advice is very appreciated.

Oh yeah, remember to put everything on the microsd.  I got a cheap tablet which seems to be overwhelmed already with he default apps.  Not sure but I think updates quickly turn those default apps into space consuming stuff and it ain't healthy to be short on space. 

Cyanogenmod/LineageOS FTW. Get rid of all the bloatware, get extra features (and also risk some malfunction from time to time, sadly*. Performance varies with different models)

I'm always inheriting my father's phone, so I went from a Samsung Galaxy 3 to a OnePlus One. After 2-3 years of use from him I can still get 2+ days of battery life because I always have GPS and Bluetooth off, and turn WiFi off when I get out of home.

What annoys me is that newer models are following Apple's decision of making almost impossible to open the phone to change the battery yourself.

*So far, camera stops working sometimes (just have to use the app OpenCam) and wrong battery readings (have to let the battery die and then make a full recharge)

Danath said:
What annoys me is that newer models are following Apple's decision of making almost impossible to open the phone to change the battery yourself.
Good point. I changed the battery in my Galaxy Note 4 as it was running low fast - and it helped.
Unfortunately the Note 4 was filled with apps that I had no use for, and can't delete. So be aware of that too.

Yeah, make sure the phone offers you the chance to change your battery without needing something akin to brain surgery just to open it. The standard J5, for example, isn't openable, but the Galaxy J5 is. These small things can make a difference.

Edit: Once you get your phone, go for protective glass and a silicon case right away. You never know when you're going to mess up and drop your precious on the floor. It's best to have it protected from the very beginning.

that brings back memories. ~10 years ago we had no idea what a smartphone was too. Times change  :razz:

if money is a issue you can always go with a refurbished device. Companies like Samsung and Apple buy back your old phone when you get a new one, do some sanity checks, and resell them in other regions of the world.

another option is to look for last year models, instead of latest. Look at Samsung flagship. S8 is the "expensive", S7 now has a big discount. In a few months S8 will become cheaper too as S9 will be released. You can buy the same phone, new, inside the original box, for half the price.

I quite like my current iPhone SE, which is one of the cheaper Apple options.

Be careful though - I remember not wanting to get one back in 2013 when my parents decided to buy smartphones for our family, but now that I have one I can't live without it. My attention span's gone to ****, and I have an existential crisis every time I forget to bring it into the bathroom, but your experience may vary.

My attention span's already **** when I'm on a computer, so that's not a new thing. As for a phone, while I'll enjoy having something new to play around with, I doubt I'll have reason to use it an awful lot. At least not for a while, anyway.

I'm not that bothered about smartphones but recently got a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7. Would recommend as they're not too expensive now and will do pretty much anything.

I had a Sony Xperia Z2 and it survived a year in the army and I quite liked it, then I buggered it when I was drunk so I got me a Sony XZs which I've liked well enough so far. It's a pretty phone and feels good in my hand, as to how good it actually is I've no idea.

Another funny thing of last models: almost no borders, is all screen! Which means a) highest chance for the glass to break from fall and b) you can't even grip the phone properly because then you are already touching the screen. ****ing genious  :iamamoron:

Okay, I may be buying a phone tomorrow, so it may be decision time. I think it's come down to these two: Motorola Moto E4 Plus ($180), or Motorola Moto G5S Plus ($250). The main differences are that the E4 Plus has a quad-core 1.4GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, and a 1280x720 screen, while the G5S Plus has got an octa-core 2GHz processor, 3GB of RAM, and a 1920x1080 screen. (The G5S Plus also has a better camera, but I haven't really worried about that.) Am I going to notice these differences very much? I suspect I'll just be using it to call, text, and goof off online for starters, although I wouldn't be surprised if I get a couple games on my phone eventually for when I need to kill time somewhere. How much of a difference is that screen resolution going to make? I'm torn between getting the cheaper one now since I know I won't use it very much to begin with, and running the risk of realizing later that it's not everything I wish it was; or saying "screw it" and buying the more expensive one, hoping that the better performance will increase the phone's effective lifespan and come in handy later.

Recommend the more expensive phone.  Although I'm not good at telling the difference between resolutions I figure you're going to have this thing all the time and maybe you'll get into more and more stuff.  I watch movies, read comics, medical pdfs and all.  I certainly wouldn't hold back on it.  Also you'll need lots of space, the way I see it apps evolve so one year later your phone might be full up, unresponsive and all. 

Thing is, if you by a phone you don't like you might start thinking about a new phone.  And getting a new one is a whole new expense, what to do with the old phone?

Thread necromancy.

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I've been trying to download music from YouTube (downloading them as .mp3s) onto my (Android) phone, so I can listen to some of my favorite music when I'm away from home without having do go on YouTube and burn data to do it. I downloaded an app called Videoder, which is basically a YouTube app but it allows you to download videos as .mp3 or .mp4 files. I assumed it'd download the files and then I could play them from the default Google Play Music app. Only, Google Play Music doesn't list them, and since it doesn't seem to have a way for you to browse files, I can't figure out how to get it to find them. And, when I open the Downloads app, the .mp3 files I downloaded with Videoder don't show up. I have to open Downloads, then open the menu, select "Audio", then select an artist (in this case, the name of the YouTube account which had posted the video I downloaded), then select "Download", and that's where my files will be. And, even once I moved one of the .mp3s from "Audio - [artist] - Download" to the main "Downloads" folder, Google Play Music still wouldn't show it, even though it does show an .mp3 I downloaded from an annoying online file conversion site. Oh, and when I hooked my phone up to my PC and looked in my phone's Downloads folder, all the .mp3s were in the Downloads folder. Even though the phone didn't show them there. Wat.

I think I need a different music player app, and maybe a different way of downloading these files. I know this all might sound very noobish, but I haven't used this phone very much and I'm still getting used to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe the Google Play doesn't support the video formats or codex.
You could try another app for playing video on the app store.

I personally have 'WMA Music Player' - despite the name it also plays video files.

Back
Top Bottom