(Skirmish mode) The irrelevancy of 2 handed classes

Users who are viewing this thread

As you can see, the infantry was consistently chasing the archer, but he had to hold up his shield or else he would get shot. What's more, if he didn't hold up his shield then he would get punished for chasing a poorly positioned archer (which makes no sense from a design perspective IMHO). Nine times out of ten, infantry either dies or doesn't catch the archer. I don't know if you have tested with this playstyle in mind; however, this is pretty much a meta. Based on this, I'd argue that heavy infantry actually needs a buff to speed, or heavy archers need a nerf.

This needs more attention. Even solo dolo Beeflip is in no danger despite being just out of reach of Surreal and without a melee weapon. Slower heavy inf with less throwing weapons will have no chance to ever catch an archer. And in this instance as empire the alternative unit with a shield is recruit who would constantly be foot shot if he even managed to get to the archer without being merked by cav or other heavier infantry. Right now heavy infantry is the answer to very few things, one being cav that is stupid enough to run directly at them when they have a spear out, and sitting on mid flag. The issue is not that you need to diversify what kind of infantry you use because there is very few times you would want some infantry performing separate roles from your other infantry. Especially with the way the game is you need your infantry to work closely together or else they will be isolated and killed easily with little hope of doing alot of damage to the enemy. So the answer is not to try and take a medium/light infantry to go for archers because that is an easy kill for cav or the archers themselves in all honesty.

That is my opinion, I am still eager to see what changes are being made and of course I will try them. I just hope that the "rock paper scissors" people are saying is fine in this game is not the move because as Alyss said certain classes will always be the stronger side no matter how you spin it if heavy inf is getting even more weak.

That is my opinion, I am still eager to see what changes are being made and of course I will try them. I just hope that the "rock paper scissors" people are saying is fine in this game is not the move because as Alyss said certain classes will always be the stronger side no matter how you spin it if heavy inf is getting even more weak.

Perhaps raise heavy infantry movement speed with shield raised? Also, we know movement changes are coming. Doing a jumping 180 with no loss of speed might not be a thing in the next patch.

And in this instance as empire the alternative unit with a shield is recruit who would constantly be foot shot if he even managed to get to the archer without being merked by cav or other heavier infantry. Right now heavy infantry is the answer to very few things,

Haha imagine if we could pick our own gear and work out loadouts that work best for us. Wouldn't it be so cool if I could be light infantry with a shield bigger than my hand? haha imagine that... what a wacky thought.

Wasn't it complete dog**** to take 2handers in warband competitive games? (not duel)
Well yes, but you could buy a decentish shield with the default 1hander and do some work if you play smart. It wasnt very optimal though. There is none of that in bannerlord because when you show yourself as a 2hander you get 5 javelins and 10 arrows at you

Wasn't it complete dog**** to take 2handers in warband competitive games? (not duel)
No one would take a 2h weapon without also having a 1h weapon and shield in competitive matches.

Anyone who spawned in with just a 2h sword in Warband Matchmaking would get banned for not playing seriously.

It was much more common for people to switch to 2h with a polearm instead.

What prevents this being the same case in bannerlord? It seems to me troops like Voulgier, Menavlion, Guard, Berserker are doomed to fail in skirmish.

This wouldn't be too much of an issue if there were enough perks to pick from, or having warband class system

Crush-through was balanced in Warband because the mechanic was clearly defined and understood. Plus, Taleworlds struck the right equilibrium for weapon speed/weapon length. The most devastating of the crush through weapons, the great hammer, was considerably short and had the slowest swing speed in the game, allowing opposition to spam when they saw an overhead or go for a chamber block. The morningstar, while deceptively fast, had to be held in an overhead position for .4 - 1.5 seconds for it to crush through. Morningstar-drops for cav was a thing, but pulling off a crush through on horseback required great timing and for the horseman to get dangerously close to enemies.

That being said, the crush-through mechanic in Bannerlord is a whole different story. There are so many small variables attached to swing speed, movement speed, and stances, that I feel there is no way it can be implemented in a balanced, fair, and understandable way. I remember how crush-through was in the beta and it was one the most mind-puzzling things I came across during my Bannerlord experience. I fear if crush-through is made more prevalent, with the game's current physics and combat parameters being so esoteric and abstruse, that there's no way of reliably telling if an attack will crush through.

Crush-through was balanced in Warband because the mechanic was clearly defined and understood. Plus, Taleworlds struck the right equilibrium for weapon speed/weapon length. The most devastating of the crush through weapons, the great hammer, was considerably short and had the slowest swing speed in the game, allowing opposition to spam when they saw an overhead or go for a chamber block. The morningstar, while deceptively fast, had to be held in an overhead position for .4 - 1.5 seconds for it to crush through. Morningstar-drops for cav was a thing, but pulling off a crush through on horseback required great timing and for the horseman to get dangerously close to enemies.

That being said, the crush-through mechanic in Bannerlord is a whole different story. There are so many small variables attached to swing speed, movement speed, and stances, that I feel there is no way it can be implemented in a balanced, fair, and understandable way. I remember how crush-through was in the beta and it was one the most mind-puzzling things I came across during my Bannerlord experience. I fear if crush-through is made more prevalent, with the game's current physics and combat parameters being so esoteric and abstruse, that there's no way of reliably telling if an attack will crush through.
I agree on a lot of things you just said. I feel like any mechanic that is not consistent and gives too much random feeling to the game should be left out

In general play I sometimes use the shock troop class for my second life because they can get to the fight again pretty fast and can hit like a brick truck if not seen getting there from an unexpected angle after everyone has already thrown their stuff and their shields are weakened. That's pretty much it, IMO; it'd be harder to pull off in comp play where people are calling out threats.

In my experience rock-paper-scissor game design always leaves at least a little to be desired. Subtlety is really key and I hope tw gets it right.

I don't mind 2 handers in any mode except duel, particularly the instant 180 run away sprint swing, but they said swing speed and movement changes are coming which are a part of this equation.

Yeah, I like two handers myself. I hope the adjustments work well. My knee jerk reaction was imagining the current state with damage going through successful blocks and my stomach turned.

I agree on a lot of things you just said. I feel like any mechanic that is not consistent and gives too much random feeling to the game should be left out

Yeah, a little bit of randomness is good if it can be managed by the player. Too much and there’s no point to playing.

Back
Top Bottom