Should Recruits Change Culture to the Occupying Faction's?

Should Recruits Change Culture to the Occupying Faction's?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

will be hard if settlements change culture to what empire owns them because if that happens there will be no more sturgia troops by the end of year1

will be hard if settlements change culture to what empire owns them because if that happens there will be no more sturgia troops by the end of year1

Sturgia usually takes a few years to die off. Through a lot of playthroughs (many just to observe wtf is up with Sturgia) I have never seen it go in only 84 days, personally.

I think the easy answer is a perk which lets you convert troops to recruits of your own culture. What I would love to see are 'auxiliary' troop tree branches; even if this is just for the Empire. However I don't see that happening.

Sturgia usually takes a few years to die off. Through a lot of playthroughs (many just to observe wtf is up with Sturgia) I have never seen it go in only 84 days, personally.
yeah, 1year was just an exaggeration. but you get my point, in most games sturgia will eventually be destroyed and if settlement culture changes there will be no sturgia recruits by mid game

I think it should be optional and linked to time. Assimilation would not be done over the night.
I do like to have an army of my culture, but then I also roleplay as a tolerant conqueror, which means I don't enforce my religion/culture/traditions on people I conquer and certainly don't genocide them and settle the place with my compatriots.

So it must be optional.

Another solution would be to have a chance of spawning your culture recruit alongside the native culture. Like now you have the chance to spawn ordinary or noble troop, just one or two more type random spawn should be added to chance pool. I think this would solve some problems.

I think a way to do this would be to give the player more interface with notables in the fief. Specifically, if the player could install members of their clan in a fief as a notable. We have the option to leave party members in a settlement, but it doesn’t seem to affect much. If you could leave a clan member in a city or village as a notable (as a landowner or workshop owner for example), they should then provide recruits from their own culture. You could even have quests from your clan member to increase their power-level compared to the other notables. This way, you could just recruit a bunch of notables from whatever culture you prefer and install them to compete with the local notables. Consider it similar to the installation of Norman nobles in positions of power in England and Italy/Sicily.
Also, THIS!

Last edited:
There was a suggestion on reddit that says:

Make mixed troops for faction for example if a faction takes a settlement from another culture that troop will be slightly altered to show its difference.

Like this:
8jbtnysboez41.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandbl...nstead_being_able_to_change_the_culture_of_a/

Last edited:
There was a suggestion on reddit that says:

Make mixed troops for faction for example if a faction takes a settlement from another culture that troop will be slightly altered to show its difference.

Like this:
8jbtnysboez41.png
this is a great idea but separating them in the troop menu would be hell and if they are not separated then you will never know where you got certain recruits from

this is a great idea but separating them in the troop menu would be hell and if they are not separated then you will never know where you got certain recruits from
I was thinking the same thing. It might sound a lot of work but for example maybe all variations of legionaries bundle up and expand if you click it, thus show every different type of legionary?

I mean if they(or modders) want it there is always a solution.

A less hellish version of the above suggestion would be to have some more or less generic auxiliary troops for each faction who can be used to bolster your army but aren't particularly good on their own. So as the khuzaits you could recruit medium armoured spearmen who might have a very short upgrade tree, and some foot archers. It would make other settlements useful but also make your core territories feel unique and give you a reason to hold on to them.

And since everyone in Calradia looks equally pasty and sleep-deprived, no need to even give them different faces!

Why not make it something you pay for like for every construction in a city? Call it an aid for your faction's settlers to help them move in and provide you recruits in the area. Give it some time to get completed and several tiers for different troop tiers.
This way anyone who wants their army to be his faction only, can have it, just with a bit of additional effort.

I say no. I like it when the army of Pharon comes to be under Khuzait colours, I know it's not going to be a Khuzait army but an Imperial one, with some Khuzait elements.

It's more realistic this way, and I find it more immersive.
We took out Sturg's pretty early game and Khuzait is pushing the northh on us right now (I almost have the Empire destroyed) and I wanted to return home to see the with so I picked up defense against them and was like wow they have some infantry in this battle. It was former Sturg's all set up in a shield wall when my Cav ram into them. Folks forget many culters like Roman and Mongols would capture a cutler and than obsurb it into there own. Not change it.

The current mod I'm using Extension allowed for towns to rebel against you. Think it's interesting as we had a few short small faction rebel fights I had to return back to middle of our lands to put into order. If these things are put into the finish game there will be more reason to have culture and have govenors of those culteers in control of the cities. My City and 4 Castles are all former Brit and still that culture. I do have very high loyalty and such with them cause I never raided the villages and just took the cities and castles fast and put a Brit Companion in charge of rebuilding them.

There's a mod for this here
I think leaving it optional like it is in the mod is the best option. For instance when I, as a member of Aserai, conquer close to desert imperial states, I change culture to aserai, but as I go deeper into empire territory, I leave the culture as it is to mimic cultural transition. Then when I base myself to empire territory, I shift my own culture aswell to empire.

Best and most promising thing about this game is even though we don't have modding tools released, since most of the codes are written in xml we still have mods to customize and edit most of the variables in game.

I think it would be interesting to have a mixture of the old and new cultures become recruitable depending on the level of conversion.
Someone presented an actual mixed units which I also think is interesting but maybe to complicated to implement.

since it is possible to not solve a quest yourself but send a companion away to do it for you, you should also be able to send a companion in your party away for reinforcements from your culture of preference. maybe the game can check how far the closest settlement of that culture is away and then return after a few days dependign on distance with a number of recruits.

also, they should increase the role of mercenaries. right now, as a khuzaite, it is really hard to maintain a horse archer army. you only have khuzaites, the mamlukes (after tier 3 mamluk regular) and the bucellarii (tier 5 archer? and not even mounted before that). the only mercenaries you can recruit right now have a 'western' appearance and don't really fit for khuzaites due to chainmail etc. you cannot even recruit horse archers in taverns, even though horse archers were very common mercenaries in the middle ages. i don't think i ever saw mercenaries equipped with javelins either, whether mounted or on foot.

anyways, now with notables randomly disappearing, i think they should respawn eventually with a notable of the owner's culture later. i'm also considering if it makes sense for notables to move from one town to another like companions tend to do, but then towns in newly conquered regions would get crowded and the towns in the 'heartlands' empty too much?

No cultural conversions.

If anything there should actually be more penalties to mixing troop cultures -- and an option in Leadership to reduce those penalties.

historically that wasn't much of an issue until you fought the same culture. but one thign i saw recently rubbed me the wrogn way. i saw an aserai lord deep in khuzaite lands raiding a village, then they made peace and he returned to his lines and recruited khuzaites from villages along the way without losing a beat...

i just think you shouldn't be able to recruit from enemies and neutral villages as easily. mercenaries yes, sure. but not actual rival factions. raiding should cause a significant realtionship penalty across the board with that faction.

The only suggestion I like is the installation of new notables into towns and villages. Maybe after a war, one of your top tier soldiers can retire from your army to settle down into new lands. Noble soldiers in particular would turn into landowners. Through them, you can get yourself the troops of your culture, and you can get unique quests from them as they struggle to settle into their new homes.

That, and we need the ability to straight up murder notables during sieges or raids. Or some sort of chance for them to just die off. Sometimes its just not worth mending relations with someone that hates you so much, and with this there is always room for new notables.

My vote is: No!

There are rebellions and uprisings mechanics to be soon implemented to the game. I very much like this idea and most probably cultural differences would be haevilly involved in that concept.

But first and foremost... this would have nothing to do with reality. Let us take various Empires and many old cultures that preserved:

1. Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian, Armenian, Georgian (formerly under the rule of ERE), and many other cultures under the rule of Ottomans despite many houndres years of foreign imperial rule. Those identities are very strong and were preserved.

2. Polish & Lithuanian (separately) cultures after above 100 years of foreign rule. For modern day Poland three separate imperial states (Austria-Hungary, Prussia and Russia) tried to change its culture. Lithuanians (deserve a separate note) were consider minor partner in the PLC union for around 200 years and even though they weren't polonized (despite suggestive attempts) and later russified (less of a suggestion). Both preserved.

3. Former Soviet people's "republics" such as Baltic States, Caucasian States are another examples.

4. There are many cultures that are considered minorities in their overlord countries e.g. Catalan, Basque, etc.yet still without their own state those are strong cultural identities just very hard to erase.

To the point. It is extremaly hard to change the culture identity of a nation or group of people and even though i'am not saying it is impossible - would probably take hundreds (if not more) of years to happen.

Back
Top Bottom