Should Recruits Change Culture to the Occupying Faction's?

Should Recruits Change Culture to the Occupying Faction's?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I am against this. I had a mod for Warband that did this and all the good unique troops disappeared from the game. I would not want my precious Vlandian Calvary to disappear from the game.

The only way this might work was if the player had custom troop trees and could train raw recruits (any culture) into whatever they wanted.

I would prefer it to be optional rather than a hard yes or no. Ideally it would be a gold sink or something to actively do in the downtime between warring (quests maybe?). Could even tie it to fief management and give us something to use the "reserve" on or a daily default that gradually converts the village/town to your culture.

Not sure I'd like the idea of it being automatic and eventually losing access to troop lines. Right now I'd have just Battanian, Khuzait and Imperial troops available which would get rather dull.

I would do this through fief management.
When you take ownership of a fief as lord you can make a decision on how to deal with the notables within it. If you replace them in some form ( how harsh this replacement is would dictate personality traits ) their chosen replacements would be either from your culture or the village culture.

With the aging mechanics that are currently in place in the game notables will also die of old age and be replaced. I would suggest that their replacements would have a chance based on stability of taking the lords culture. So if you owned a fief for 5 generations and you clans culture hadn't changed over time ( can it? I would guess it may if you marry a clan from another culture your children could potentially be of your spouses culture ) then the notables would eventually be your clans culture.

There could be a compromise, like when, for example, the Battanians take over Imperial city, a few Battanian nobles and merchants appear in the city, giving the ability to recruit some Battanian volunteers in there. The amount of these would vary depending on the noble's influence in the city.

However, I would keep the initial culture in the villages, since there are always 2 or 3 nobles in there.

My thought: there's two different troop trees for each faction: common and noble. The cultural assimilation rules for each should be quite different.

If the concept of the "noble" line is that they are actually nobles in a cultural/social/political sense (vice just "elite troops" by training/equipment), then those would naturally align with the faction which controls a given settlement. This would reflect the political imposition of the new ruling class. Along with the neutralization of the previous ruling class.

I personally think that cultural change of common troops should occur slowly if at all. Lots of interesting ideas ITT on ways that could work. But noble lines should change quickly; perhaps immediately. These troops aren't merely the best trained/equipped of a given culture; they're also a privileged group who are a tangible symbol - indeed, the very members - of the current ruling class.

Take, for example, Vlandia and Battania are fighting. Vlandia takes a Battanian city with its associated villages. Okay, the population remains Battanian, and will culturally remain so for a long time. And that's all right; Dethert and his minions can tolerate that as long as they behave. What they can't tolerate is a continuing manifestation of Caladog's regime within Vlandia's expanded borders. No matter how good they may be, those damn Fians have to go; it's a political imperative. And likewise, the Battanian nobility wouldn't serve in the new regime, at least not as Fians; either they're recalcitrant and won't serve at all, or they lose their privileged status but assimilate anyway as Wildlings or some other common troop. And some would probably even maintain their noble status and wholly embrace the Vlandian regime...but would do so as Banner Knights, not as Fian Champions.

I don't wish for any of the recruits to change their origins, but it would be amazing if there was a variant of the player's chosen faction that your recruits could conform to, like yeh, you can get each type of unit from its respective regions, but its up to you if you want to raise a varied army or a homogeneous army. Even better would be to have a variation of each unit that adopted a trait from the culture, like yeh, you can have sturgian legionnaires, but they would actually use axes with their standard legionnaire stuff. Although it would be a right pain to balance in any way, it would be amazing. However, i'd be happy with just being able to "train and equip" your army to the way you "know how an army works" because of your culture, not their culture.

Yes and no, I think there should be an assimilation period for the villagers. And by passing the citizenship policy under kingdom mechanic to speed up assimilation in order for villagers to change cultures. To make it more fun, after the village has been raid, because there's a lost of population, villagers of the ruling kingdom will start migrating villagers of its own culture to the village. But even with that, the game should maintain at least one person where we can recruit troop of the default culture.

Initially I would say no, reasons are stated here already multiple times. But if there was a perk that enabled you to do some "forced immigration" or something like that in your settlements, than I think that would be ok. Maybe have one or two notables give other recruits then, and maybe with a malus to loyality or security.

I'd say the best way would be according to the clan culture owning that land

Imperial Clan receives a Battanian town or castle then eventually the settlement culture would change according to the liege Clan only (not kin or emperor, only the lord of the fief)

And this should take time 10 years to 25 years

There could be an option to evict the original inhabitants and resettle with your own culture. Make the hearths / prosperity take a severe drop, and give a reputation hit with all lords of the evicted culture.

No cultural conversions.

If anything there should actually be more penalties to mixing troop cultures -- and an option in Leadership to reduce those penalties.

Last edited:
I think it should dpend on if they like you or not ,The owner if you are a rogue and run around the map pillaging all then i do not think they will think much of your kind however you help them they think these empire or whatever guys and girls are ok we should be more like them.

Nope. Significant change of local culture take hundreds of years, unless original population was completely wiped out. We don't talk genocide scenarios here, don't we?

I say no. From a player's perspective it is hard enough to maintain an army of your preferred culture without having to worry about the next invader who takes all the villages and transforms the recruits into his own kind. If I had this in my campaign, I wouldn't be able to get any Sturgian troops anymore, and I need the berserkers for storming castles and ripping enemy infantry a new one...

It should change if you BUILD it into that and start reforms and sutch

Because obviestly the new conquerers are gonna wanna reform it to your own armys

It feels a bit like necroing but anyway, my opinion:

I'm against a change of culture which would have needed a long long time, generations for sure. But in our history there were many cases of foreign soldier settlers from which the conquerers recruited their core troops still, a usual custom for the Hellenistic kingdoms on non-Hellenistic soil for example. So the player should have the chance of building a barrack in the fief from which he/she could get faction recruits, in addition to the native culture recruits.

I think this is an issue with factions' identities. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems factions which conquer new territory end up having too mixed of armies because they recruit from the closest villages, which will probably be newly conquered ones if theyre fighting on the front lines. This, and it makes it hard for the player to maintain an army of their home culture for a few reasons- As your faction expands, it gets more lords. The lords recruit from your home territory a bit, meaning even less recruits available there. You will also be travelling further and further from home territory.

Also, for me it's a pain in the ass having like 30 different troop types to manage and scroll through in the party screen. But its more of a pain to travel home to fill up after every major battle.

I understand it isnt fully realistic to have the units immediately convert to whatever faction occupies it. Maybe a good solution would be a settlement "upgrade" option to convert them to your faction's culture. This way it adds that slight realism of taking a bit to convert, and it allows players to keep the original culture there (at least if they own the settlement) if you like the diversity. For me, it's a pain in the ass having like 30 different troop types to manage and scroll through in the party screen.

Worst case scenario a mod gives the option...

Yes to culture shift. Though it should take a few seasons at least.

Back
Top Bottom