Shield as armor

Users who are viewing this thread

Momaw

Knight
Have shields add to your armor rating versus melee attacks from your forward arc, even when you don't actively block with it.  The amount added would be based on your shield skill, the shield's speed and size, and your current encumberance. It should start at 1, and work up to maybe 20 for somebody with 10 points in Shield skill, light armor, and a good shield. This bonus would apply to the head and body, unless your shield's size is over 90, in which case you get to add it to your feet too.

This may be a little too "RPG" for some people. Dunno.

The intent is that somebody with very high levels of skill can effectively use their shield at all times to protect themself, even while making attacks around it. The additional armor is meant to model this constant self-protection. The balance here is that armor protects you without skill investment (as long as you've the strength necessary), while using your shield as protection requires that you invest skilil points, use one-handed weapons, and keep the enemy in front of you.  And as noted, it wouldn't affect ranged attacks at all (though obviously you can hold up the shield in front of you then).

Discuss.

a) Brother of blades - You don't make any sense.

b) Lamjose - If your shield breaks you lose the bonus.

I'm not certain if I like this or not, but if the passive bonus is fairly low, and only applies to your shielded area anyway, I don't think it'd be terrible.

I like the idea if a more complex system of armor calculation is not added. It is very similar to table top wargames where models with a shield have a higher defence value than those who do not.
(I would rather see more complex armor calculations and shield calculations though)

It sounds like a good idea to me. According to the animations for M and B your shield is blocking most of your front when you strike.

something needs done, that's for sure, about the shield situation:  It's a bit sad that the incredibly skillful killer you eventually become, still can't coordinate a strike from behind the protection of a shield....

Back
Top Bottom