Server Statistics and World Ranking - In development

Users who are viewing this thread

My impression from beta was most people wanted more detailed stat reporting, such as a total damage done or # of horse kills, things along those lines to help highlight good teamwork actions rather than just the final blow that kills show. I'm not sure if I remember anything discussed or decided about overall statistics, but then again I tend to miss threads sometimes :smile:

Stat wise, the only real way to have a good ranking system is to actually have a league where people sign up and participate in matches that they are prepared for.

For giggles though I think with duel server stats you could do like an ELO type system in log time order and treat each kill like it was a match where you adjust rankings up/down based on who was killed and what their current rating was at the time. 

There of coarse is no way to really filter out backstabs. Maybe make people that have had less than 100 kills/deaths on the server invisible until they cross that 100 mark. Most people who backstab don't last too long on the servers so I imagine by the time they make it to 100 they'll be actually dueling.

Well either way, should be interesting seeing what comes out of it.

If we really think there's a legal issue, let's sue every game developer that has a ranking system!

HJKL said:
Tul said:
Frankly, I don't want to have to keep checking your (very slow) site to see if there are new opt-out servers I need to use the opt-out hash command on.
Making a global list of excluded players by nick is not a good idea as someone can impersonate you or the nick can just repeat. Disabling it manually is much more safe. However due to intensive requests I'll implement it in the near future. But please use #enable/disable_stats if you can.
Sorry, I assumed you were doing it by account ID with the most-used name on the account being the one displayed.
Because I do. There is no problem if send me your ID but most people don't know it.

Reapy said:
For giggles though I think with duel server stats you could do like an ELO type system in log time order and treat each kill like it was a match where you adjust rankings up/down based on who was killed and what their current rating was at the time. 
That's an interesting idea. Each frag can have a weight for example when you kill somebody with KR < 0.5 then value+=1, when KR < 1 then value+=2, when KR < 1.5 then value+=3 etc. In the end I would multiply value by your KR and that will be your final value. It should be more precise than the current value index. It will also prevent from mass killing of weak players just for good stats.

Eluqqa said:
If we really think there's a legal issue, let's sue every game developer that has a ranking system!
That is different. You buy the ranking system with the product in most cases. In this case, your statistics are collected by a third party that has nothing to do with the development or production of the product.

They don't tell you on the box there's a ranking system. You'll unknowingly be subject to one.
Besides, it's still just servers that apply for it.

Eluqqa said:
They don't tell you on the box there's a ranking system. You'll unknowingly be subject to one.
Maybe not on the box but have you ever read the license? :smile:

Eluqqa said:
It does not matter, the ranking system is still officially included within the game. You probably could have found the information on the official site of the game. They can't include all information on the game on the box, so you just do some simple research on the official site and bam, you get a feature list/FAQ.

However, you are not expected to know about any third party software influencing a game when you buy it. The developers or producers of this game do not officially support the system, nor do they mention it on the official site, or indeed, the license.

Conclusion: your analogy equals bollocks.

Fine. Don't go the stats site then. Or don't play on the servers that have stats if it somehow bothers you that others can see them. Or if you insist on playing on them use the #disable_stats string that apparently exists now.

Eluqqa said:
Fine. Don't go the stats site then. Or don't play on the servers that have stats if it somehow bothers you that others can see them. Or if you insist on playing on them use the #disable_stats string that apparently exists now.
The problem is that I do care about stats if they exist, and I don't want to care. I don't want other people to see how I've played. I have the right to suck without it becoming publically known.

The opting out system is sufficient for me though.

A new address:
http://stats.ndition.net/
Should work faster now.
Thanks to Ndition for hosting place.

I'm not really sure on legal rights in terms of computer property. I would think that since the person owns the server, and you are connecting and playing on their server, then the logs of the activity on that server are in their ownership, and they can do with them as they please, and in this case it is publish the statistics.

I think you can look at the game server as though it is a web server, and web pages like facebook completely own all information you post on on their page as well as your activity in terms of time spent there and what you are doing on their site. They do not offer this information publicly because it is extremely valuable to them, but should they wish to publish it I believe it is in their right to do so.

Now on the other hand I believe that there is some legal protection provided to you and your ISP for keeping your activity at that level private (in the us anyways) and often requires legal means to obtain those records, but I do not believe that by proxy that means all of your activity on the internet is protected by law, quite the opposite, actually.

Update:
*Now site runs very well on Firefox 3+, Chrome, Opera and on some other less popular browsers. However in IE it's a bit messed up, damn Microsoft doesn't respect any standards. I'm working on it.
*Site passes W3C HTML and CSS validation.
*Some bug fixes.

noobia, don't worry bro. I don't give two ****s about stats and nor will most of the players. You'll still see me running nude in nditions, trying to chamber spam on battle servers and charging through doorways with my xbow drawn.

I don't give a **** about my stats but I'm cautious about the style of play this might endorse.

Personally, I don't think stats make much sense for a class-based game like mount&blade and it's not nice too see what I would describe as a CoDism, creeping into the game. If you guys enjoy looking at the stats, that's fine by me but I really hope it doesn't take off because it can only encourage selfish play. Something that goes completely against the point, the nature and (for me) the best aspect of M&B.

There just needs to be more stats beyond k:d + ratio. Once there are more of them, and more 'sorts' that put different things at the top, you would see people keep playing the way they normally do, and they'd naturally only look at the stat table that applies to their playstyle.

Reapy said:
There just needs to be more stats beyond k:d + ratio. Once there are more of them, and more 'sorts' that put different things at the top, you would see people keep playing the way they normally do, and they'd naturally only look at the stat table that applies to their playstyle.

That's a theoretical solution to the problems I pose. Most people will be aware that good, intelligent players won't give a **** about stats and will be busy playing in/practicing for clans.

It's, therefore, reasonable to deduce that it will be mongs playing for stats, in order to impress other mongs - less likely to look beyond the basics and more likely to see who has the highest k/d and go: "Ooooh how you did done get a k/d dun so good?"

So what may happen is that the servers opting into this scheme will become "mong-havens", full of dishonourable pussies and stat munchers. Everyone playing with 3 shields and a one handed axe would not make for fun-playing.

This brings me onto another hypothetical situation and another reason why I think this is a bad idea. Regular players in the nditons duel server may know that I spent many hours, last weekend, trying to perfect chamber block, with some success... but many deaths...many. Adding stats will discourage players from experimenting and thereby limit their ability to improve their overall game. This would, in many ways, be even more of a travesty than the results of my previous issues with this. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case.

The best outcome, from this entire project, is that no one will really care about it.

My apologies for being blunt but I should be revising and I don't want to write 10 long paragraphs, in order to be seen as tactful.

P.S. apologies if anyone is offended by my use of the word "mong"

captain lust said:
Reapy said:

That's a theoretical solution to the problems I pose. Most people will be aware that good, intelligent players won't give a **** about stats and will be busy playing in/practicing for clans.

It's, therefore, reasonable to deduce that it will be mongs playing for stats, in order to impress other mongs - less likely to look beyond the basics and more likely to see who has the highest k/d and go: "Ooooh how you did done get a k/d dun so good?"

So what may happen is that the servers opting into this scheme will become "mong-havens", full of dishonourable pussies and stat munchers. Everyone playing with 3 shields and a one handed axe would not make for fun-playing.

This brings me onto another hypothetical situation and another reason why I think this is a bad idea. Regular players in the nditons duel server may know that I spent many hours, last weekend, trying to perfect chamber block, with some success... but many deaths...many. Adding stats will discourage players from experimenting and thereby limit their ability to improve their overall game. This would, in many ways, be even more of a travesty than the results of my previous issues with this. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case.

The best outcome, from this entire project, is that no one will really care about it.

My apologies for being blunt but I should be revising and I don't want to write 10 long paragraphs, in order to be seen as tactful.

P.S. apologies if anyone is offended by my use of the word "mong"

I'm offended, I want to be a headless, murdering chicken!

Well, being serious, I think the stats lost its possible damaging effect when the "World Ranking" disappeared. Thank the flying spaghetti monster for that!

captain lust said:
Heh, Gurn, a headless murdering chicken you shall always be. It's not you I'm worried about.

I'm still against stats in principle, however.

P.S. check out this awesome link... :razz:

Haha, thanks for the kind words! I love stats generally, but here in Warband I think it could have a damaging effect, and I would prefer if just a few servers had it, preferably in an opt-in version. So agree with you on that one.

Your last comment made me chuckle, but I'll think about it  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom