Server Statistics and World Ranking - In development

Users who are viewing this thread

I love you for this and give you my unadulterated hails.

running KEEN_Duels server and would love this implemented.

Thanks!

Disparate said:
I have 1 little problem with it tho. Would it be possible to set it up so it only showed people with a certain number of kills (for example over 50 kills) as with the smaller numbers it really puts a skew on some of the results.
I don't see it very useful but I'll try to implement this.

What server is this for and how can i join up for the stats?
All included servers are listed on main page. Anyone can join. If you want to join then send a pm with request.

Teala said:
What I find interesting is the weapons usage statistics.  So spears are the most commonly used or fave weapon.
The problem is that glaive is also treated as spear. In addition to this all kills from horseback with spear are not treated as 'couched lance' but as spear as well.

Mikan said:
Stats are good. It encourages the community to play competitively which will mean more people will stick with the game.

Everyone saying no to stats doesn't realise how much they're going to hurt the future community.

Every competitive game has a strong following. Casual communities last for a few fleeting moments... then dissolve.

The will to 'get better' is what keeps people playing longest.
Problem is stats turn people into monkeys. Instead of playing for fun or for the team, they start playing for the rank, which leads to glitching, selfishness and overall reduced gaming experience. The scores you can see on the scoreboard are more than enough.

From experience I can see a huge difference between servers with stats compared to ones without in Zombie Panic! Source. Those who are familiar with the game can easily understand why stats hurt the game.
Tul said:
Teala said:
What I find interesting is the weapons usage statistics.  So spears are the most commonly used or fave weapon.
The problem is that glaive is also treated as spear. In addition to this all kills from horseback with spear are not treated as 'couched lance' but as spear as well.
It's mainly because long axes and long bardiches are seen as spears.

Stats are good.  For many people, seeing where you stand compared to others and improving that standing is a game itself.  It's fun to notice your progress over time and to also see how your rivals are faring.  For those who don't like stats, no one is forcing you to look =p

Hopefully some of the US servers I frequent will get added in time.  Keep up the good work, and don't worry about the naysayers.

I had just thought to myself that I can make a list of players who do not wish to be recorded. That should solve part of the problem so if anyone for some reasons is against statistics please send me your nick (or nicks for better identification or even ID if you know it) and that person won't be included in ranking.

Tul said:
I had just thought to myself that I can make a list of players who do not wish to be recorded. That should solve part of the problem so if anyone for some reasons is against statistics please send me your nick (or nicks for better identification or even ID if you know it) and that person won't be included in ranking.
Sign me up.

In-game nick: OLL_TheNarrator

Though I would prefer that players actively sign up for ranking rather than the ones who don't. And I still think that this sickens the community. This would only solve my personal issues with the system, not the general issues I have with it.

Psiphoon said:
It's not just exams, I could just as easily have compared it to a pub quiz or a game of pooh sticks. In any game it's fair to want to know how well you did, so I don't understand why in this particular case you think that's a bad idea. And I for one will still be rolling the naked battleaxe loadout and doing the leaping kamikaze overswing whenever I feel like it.
Doesn't make your analogy any less bollocks. There's a difference between single results after a match and a world-wide constant ranking. I wouldn't want my score in a quiz to be noted down for world-wide ranking. On the other hand side, I wouldn't care all that much, because quizzing is not something I do competitively. The problem is that I do care about my Warband reputation, and I don't want to. I don't want to worry about my stats.

Sir_Jaakko said:
What is that nick history thing? I've got some jilano there. Never played with that nick.
Give me your nick, that's probably some bug, I'll try investigate it.
EDIT: ok I found your account. I think it's a common bug as I saw a couple of times situation like yours. Will be fixed :smile:

By the way, Nditions_Duel_Server has been added.
You may face some problems entering the site now. For unknown reason it is really slow at the moment.

kingofnoobia said:
Though I would prefer that players actively sign up for ranking rather than the ones who don't.

This is actually the only way you could do it, unless you want to get in trouble with the law (if you live in the EU or any country with similar data protection laws). If players want their data to be tracked, they have to explicitly opt into it - giving them the possibility to opt out is not enough, obviously. 

(Not that anyone can track it, but you're not allowed to simply hide it either, you mustn't save it in the first place. )

Tul said:

Add "CoR_Inox" to that list.

Just a shot in the dark - an easy way to avoid making registration forms for those that don't want to be on the list: if you're parsing the server log - it should parse the in-game chat as well. You could "listen" for a specific character sequence to set up a flag in your system, which will either show or hide a specific account from the list.
This way if someone doesn't want to be on the list, he just joins the server and types something like "StatsOffForMe" in the game chat.
What do you think, will this work?

Devil_Inside said:
Just a shot in the dark - an easy way to avoid making registration forms for those that don't want to be on the list: if you're parsing the server log - it should parse the in-game chat as well. You could "listen" for a specific character sequence to set up a flag in your system, which will either show or hide a specific account from the list.
This way if someone doesn't want to be on the list, he just joins the server and types something like "StatsOffForMe" in the game chat.
Other way round. No stats should be default, they should be actively activated.

Devil_Inside said:
That's a very good idea. And as chadz said, if it's illegal in any way then something like 'EnableStats' typed in chat is an extremely easy way to apply for statistics. The information about that option should quickly propagate through the servers which is also good.

Aye, maybe "!statsenable" which would then return a line of something like
"Stats for character McBeverage_Hoboknight enabled."
That's impossible unless game developers support my script.

Tul said:
That's a very good idea. And as chadz said, if it's illegal in any way then something like 'EnableStats' typed in chat is an extremely easy way to apply for statistics. The information about that option should quickly propagate through the servers which is also good.

this sounds good - I think everyone can agree with that

Tul said:
Add 22nd_Hsc_BigMac to the list please.

It's not illegal in any way to have server statistics.

Back
Top Bottom