Seriously, what happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

This is the absolute worst argument for monochromatic clothes colouring ingame. You COULD make an argument that theres pros in sacrificing immersion for gameplay (distinguishing soldiers) that makes it worth it. But thousands of peasants in tyrian purple, the colour only the highest of byzantine royalty could afford for ceremonial cloaks, is just silly looking. And im not even talking about it being unrealistic, its just an eye sore

There should be faction colours present on maybe cloaks, tabards, some parts of tunics, banners and such. But not on t1- t4 troops

Are Murex snails rare in Calradia? Mayhap not?

Colour taste is subjective. I think purple is quite fetching.

FYI, the image is real fighters, using colour to identify friend and foe, because it is so helpful IRL, that they're hacking it into their own uniforms. Other devices could be (and were also) used. Heraldry, icons, decorations. But colour has often played some role. So it's use is plausible in a medieval sim in a make-believe world.

Last edited:
The problem is that everything has one just colour. The only hues you see in the entire imperial army are just brown (the armour) and purple. It's visually very uninteresting and awkward, and impossible to distinguish different troop types from a glance.
With this I heartily agree. It doesnt take muvh design to make it more interesting. Theres already 2 mods that randomize soldiers colors mid-battle, as well as another that adds different designs to shields.

While i see the point that distinguishing troop types from far is a bit too far fetched when most obly wear fabrics, it still is a game. And the simple idea of making shields and banners hold the lord/faction color is better than the monochrome armies - not saying i dislike it, i really love me purple and red armies, but more variety on clothes could be well worth it. But this is more of a design flaw, or designER flaw, one of those little details that add immersion.

Heck, you think about it for 3 seconds and it fits: there are floating banners on top of troops already, you have to consciously deactivate them (and theres a neat mod for hotkeying it to Alt, the same button to see where the troops are, so you instantly IFF with a simple button press).

We NEED more colors. It brings battlefields to life. Theres already toonmuch brown and some pastel tones

Another thing that the game needs in this regard is more ambient light. The 2015 siege video had load of ambient light, so the shadows weren't completely black like they are now.

siege2.jpg

Compare that to now. The snow maps and sunset scenes are especially egregious. You generally cant see anything of your army except a black blob.

Vu9VY.jpg

I'm currently in China so I can't get many good images of what I mean, but hopefully you get the idea

Last edited:
Another thing that the game needs in this regard is more ambient light. The 2015 siege video had load of ambient light, so the shadows weren't completely black like they are now.

- 2015 image -

Compare that to now. The snow maps and sunset scenes are especially egregious. You generally cant see anything of your army except a black blob.

- modern bannerlord-

I'm currently in China so I can't get many good images of what I mean, but hopefully you get the idea
Tbh I think the bigger problem is that 2022 Bannerlord's artstyle sucks, and having less technically proficient lighting just exacerbates this problem.

Again not to put Warband on any kind of pedastal (I barely have 50 hours in it), but at least in Warband you had to have a good relation with the city merchants before you could setup shop.
With the owner of the fief, actually. Guildmaster relations were in the game but didn't affect anything, just like with tavern keepers.

That doesn't show a lot being already done, it's just a tiny sample of things they were working on. It's using like one town out of 60 lol. None of that necessarily worked smoothly, just enough that it could be used in short clips. They had to balance and bugfix all sorts of things they're obviously not going to show in a promo vid. Making a trailer that looks like it could be from a complete game is both easy and common for game companies. Be glad they didn't sell the game based on hyping a trailer but worked on making a game that isn't released as a broken mess like Fallout 76 or No Man's Sky.

People have understandable complaints about certain issues the game has, but I can still play the sandbox or campain for hundreds of hours with no major bugs, and relatively few minor ones. I have no performance issues on a less than amazing PC on fairly high settings, as well. The info in game is largely accurate, the controls reasonably smooth, the troops reasonably responsive to commands, etc. etc. All kinds of things you might not think about that aren't represented visually in something like a trailer, but that you'd certainly notice while playing.

So yeah, people know. The game was developed, it took awhile because they're a relatively small developer and it was a fairly ambitious project, since Bannerlord/Mount and Blade generally has a lot of little moving parts, interacting systems, that more simplistic gameplay doesn't.

Anyone thinking this game is some sort of disaster or scandal is deluded or has very little experience with the gaming industry.
Well but look at what no man’s sky has become I have yet to see a singel game delivery this hard post lunch…

Because using colour to identify friend from foe in a confused combat scenario is immersion breaking...

107022944-16461531322022-03-01t164309z_490448029_rc2ots9gyqr2_rtrmadp_0_ukraine-crisis-east.jpeg
did you just post a photo of "modern" soldiers??? We're talking about 11th century, besides you have that huge a** circular banner icons on friendly troops. Honestly what a comment lmao

did you just post a photo of "modern" soldiers??? We're talking about 11th century, besides you have that huge a** circular banner icons on friendly troops. Honestly what a comment lmao

I believe the term you are looking for is an analogy. The principle of identifying friend from foe in a military context using colours, symbols and other visual identifiers predates recorded history. The comment seeks to illustrate that even in a modern setting, where combat forces deliberately try to hide themselves through camouflage, colour is still useful - to the point where soldiers hack their own uniforms to add it.

Game designers have to balance what is plausible in the setting, with what is helpful to a wide variety of gamers. You and I might be OK with identifying our troops with a coat of arms on a chequerboard field or what ever, but I'd hazard a majority of gamers are more able to recognise their favourite football team than they are a medieval Byzantine or Turkic warlord's personal crest.

Game developers have to make this balance. In this occasion they decided that colour uniforms were plausible in the context, and helpful for modern audiences. That's all the explanation that is really needed. The rest is spitting into the wind.

Graphics are what I care about least, even though I have a decent PC I crank down the graphics to very low on every game I play because speed is what is important. I would have preferred keeping the obviously much worse looking Warband graphics if it meant having an extra 500 or 1000 troops on the field or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom