MP Oriental Sengoku Jidai: 1467-1573 [Recruiting] Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, I posted this on our Ning for our team, but since the team hasn't migrated I figured it'd be a good idea to post here.

To start I want to do a little overview of different terms that will be used throughout the development just so we're on the same page. This is fairly vital info that you'll want to know. Shouldn't take too long :]

To start, we'll talk about classes of units:

Ashigaru - Common foot soldiers, later in the Sengoku period they could be promoted to samurai, but for the purposes of this mod Ashigaru will mean less proficient in weapon use (compared to samurai) and also restricted equipment.

Samurai - The warrior class. They are well trained in their given class or can use a katana well. In our terms this will count as a special unit of a clan (I'll go into that later).

Cavalry - Not an uncommon term, but there's some specific things that need to be discussed. Cavalry in japan were strictly samurai, so there's (aside from maybe a ronin faction) not going to be any ill equipped cavalry.

Ninja - I'm not going to go into what a ninja is, but generally ninja -did- wear different types of armor under their black uniform. This would be chainmale or metal plates. Deadly but a glass cannon.

Monk - Warrior monks are extraordinary deadly but light weight. Typically proficient in polarms.

Equipment:

Katana - Strictly speaking, in japan katana means any sword of any origin. We'll be using it to describe the typical blade of about 2 ft or more, slender, fast, sharp and curved.

Yari - Mochi Yari (3-6ft or 1-2m) or Omi no Yari (up to 20ft or 6+m). There are about ten different variations that will get their own post. Samurai did not use anything aside from mochi yari, whereas Ashigaru used a variety, mostly gravitating around longer yari.

Nodachi - Japanese great sword, about 4 feet in length with a hilt of around 1 foot. Very heavy and should encumber the user. Also relatively expensive and a cavalry killer.

Wakasashi - I don't think this will generally be included as it wasn't often used in combat, it's a large dagger, normally identical to the larger katana.

Naginata - A shaft with a long curved blade at the end, though similar to the glave, the blade actually extends out from the handle of the naginata rather than being attached to the side.

Kama - Similar to the European sickle but with some differences. It's a blade coming horizontally out of the end of a small wooden rod (google it). Regardless, good peasant weapon for some factions (the ones on the island of Okinawa) and a possible Ninja weapon.

JoePeasant said:
No bows, crossbows or arquebuses?

This is for uncommon terms. It's just a primer on what different terms mean. I'm going to post an article on each weapon individually on the ning network. I'm not sure who's on the team yet though O,o

GenericSoldierX said:
I don't think the Japanese ever had Crossbows, didn't they use Bows, and than guns?

Very true, and that's why I'm on for, at least a little, historical accuracy. I'll post the unit update in a bit.
I've been talking to the head and we're going to start with three clans.

Yeah we will start with three clans. But all the clans are already in:

Oda
Tokugawa
Takeda
Uesugu
Mori
Shimazu

We will start organizing and working on Takeda Oda and Tokugawa before we move to the other ones. Like to post a little update:

-Troops have been reseted to native ones.
-All bugs have dissapeared, no errors when compiling.
-Every unit ingame now have custom ouch sounds, death screams, and taunts.
-Battle tracks have been replaced.

Things that someone will have to help me fixing:

-Black borders on menu, anyone who is familiar with using mip maps contact me.
-Music ingame, too long pauses in between tracks.

People we desperately need in the team:

-Someone who is good at the modular system. And knows where everything is located.

All the ingame sounds haven't been replaced, all weapon sounds. And believe me there are lots of them, needs to be replaced also. But I think we will wait until we at least got a list of what weapons will be used so we know what sounds we should be looking for.

So far this is how far we have come:

Music - 99%
Sounds - 50%
Main menu - 90%
Factions - 100%
Troops - 0%
Equipment - 0%
Maps - 0%

We are still in the planning phase when it comes to classes and what equipment each class should have. When Koyonok has made the list of units. We need to give them acurrate but balanced weapon and skill stats. After we have done that we need to put it inside the game. When all classes are in we need to make the equipment for each class and give them stats. After we have done that and put it inside the game. We need to beta test the game a lot.

And make sure it's balanced and fun. We will do this online...after we have done that it's time to start modeling. We will start will all the armors and equipment. And fix the sounds for each and everyone of them. When all that is done, and that is a lot of work. We will start creating maps. Make blueprints over the maps from eagle view, decide on spawn points. And then someone need to make the base of the map. Then the map maker is in close contact with the modelers. And they will make the maps together.

After we have done all that we need to correct bugs and minor things we find ingame. And then beta test A LOT. And then it's finished, and we will play online and have a lot of fun with hopefully an awesome mod :grin:

Random images to inspire people to join:
warrior_monk.jpg
samurai.jpg
mean_samurai.jpg
TakedaYoshida.jpg
TKY200710290317.jpg

0620_004.jpg
1a_ENAMI_-_T_Enami_1859-1929_-_Self_Portrait_ca_1898_ddd.92155630_std.jpg
sam3.jpg
samurai.jpg
Samurai.jpg
20080605144106!Samurai_in_1880.jpg
1210247_f260.jpg
Fe100684.jpg
sam4.jpg
2348597171_2a4deca69d.jpg
s0107l.jpg
4192350274_ce64622319.jpg
facepalm, american samurai...

Come on people we need some help with the module system.  :mrgreen:

GenericSoldierX said:
Once everything is finished, can you try making this for SP too?

We were planning on evolving it into that. Don't worry :grin:

This is the troop list to start working towards for us. Final for the first version.

Takeda
The lancers of Japan, the Takeda army earned the name kiba gundan, or 'mounted army.'
-Ashigaru Archer-A fairly proficient archer class// relatively weak bows// not extraordinarily fast// decent with melee weapons
-Ashigaru-Decent with all weapons with no specialization//can use low grade yari and katanas
-Yari Cavalry-The lancers of Japan// heavily armored// most weapons consist of spears// expensive

Oda
Famous for its utilization of firearms effectively and unification of Japan.
-Yari Ashigaru –Wide range of lower tier yari types//no mochi yari
-Musket Ashigaru – Several firearm types//fairly weak in hand to hand//restricted armor
-Ashigaru Kashira-Captain of Ashigaru//Proficient in many weapons//not as expensive as other specials

Tokugawa
One of the most powerful clans in the Sengoku period and a close ally of the Oda clan.
-Ashigaru – Decent with all weapons with no specialization//can use low grade yari and katanas
-Arquebus Ashigaru – Not as accurate as muskets//very powerful//very slow reload
-Battlefield Ninja-Fastest foot unit//light armor types hidden underneath outfit//throwing weapons// large assortment of weapons// very proficient in weapon use

you should add the asai, asakura, otomo, date, hojo, ukita, and add the toyotomy clan (vassal clan of the oda), the shibata, Achechi clan

Proie said:
you should add the asai, asakura, otomo, date, hojo, ukita, and add the toyotomy clan (vassal clan of the oda), the shibata, Achechi clan

We could...but we're trying to work from a base right now. It's a multiplayer mod, that would sort of just crowd it out. We're working with Takeda, Tokugawa and Oda

and is that Zhao Gao?

and is that Zhao Gao?
Looks like Guan Yu from dynasty warriors :razz:

There aren't so many unique units to fill all of them with troops. With all the factions we got now, we need 400 models. If we would use all of them. We would be at 1500. And then we definately need a bigger team....

Updates for viewers:

-Kotyonok is working on classes, hopefully by tomorrow all classes for every clan will be finished. With stats and everything.
-I have replaced all sounds ingame. Except weapon sounds and movement sounds.
-Music is epic
-Main menu is basically finished

When kotyonok is finished with the classes for every clan. It's time to start modeling. I'll start tomorrow...and hopefully you people will pay attention to this awesome mod :cry: :cry: When you get some eye candy :wink:

Hasta Luego mis amigos!

Proie said:
ok
i'm your researcher
i know very well this period

That doesn't sound bad, but for now it's only going to be a single player mod. I know the weapons and armor well enough. Once we start getting into the other clans especially we'll need help a lot with the unique units.

Hermodr said:
-Kotyonok is working on classes, hopefully by tomorrow all classes for every clan will be finished. With stats and everything.

You mean hopefully I'm finished with the first three clans? O,o

If you desire some sword meshes, katana's etc, just ask. I'll make some up pretty quickly. But I won't texture them myself, you need to do that bit. I could probably throw together some nice Yari too, and I'm offering to do this simply because I enjoy meshing, especially curvy stuff, and I like the japanese culture and style of warfare. I don't have Warband. :grin: Consider me a martyr to a lost cause. So I won't be playing this mod. But I have nothing better to do, other than work on my own project, so I'm happy to make some really nice swords. PM me with details.

We are going for quality not quantity. So if it's just make em quick...nonono. But if you are willing to put your soul into the models and make em as good as you can make em. Sure, you can join. Should I add you to the team?

Ok added you, Proire you should contact Kotyonok if you want to help with the clans. We have started working on the three first ones. I think they are pretty much completed troop wise. But there are more clans later and he might need some help :grin: Here I made a ashigaru yari spear. A very basic weapon that you start with. No textures on it yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rJk-oKoouI

Also anyone who knows how to put in weapons inside the game? Someone who is good at the moduling system? I suck at it, we really need someone who can help with the scripts... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom