Screenshot Mega Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
K-64 said:
956AD4B962D7006EF277F44AE6D9A6B7EB076D63

Bit o' context: All of them on the same ****ing tile when they got activated. Oh, and this was a team I was trying to train to be yet another Team Bad-ass. Keyword "was".
Git gud scrub and install Long War.

You dont know the definition of pain until you get a turn 1 Berserker pod activation, or meet the gigantic chryssalid.

March 3 supply barges, base assaults in june, building sized Chryssalid queens. Pain hardly describes it, more like !!FUN!!

MoW: Assault Squad 2 with 'anything stays permanently' and 'blood and gore' mods. It was a bloody mess.

NuX26XZ.jpg
MUsf6t7.jpg
xSi9os1.jpg
Y7eKFWT.jpg
MFQfN2k.jpg
ozDLvZD.jpg

hirovard said:
i need to get that again. Such an awesome game

Having played it for about 2 hours now, I must say nostalgia is strong with this one (it was my first game ever, together with Age of Kings, Stunts and Monster Truck Madness demo). However, some concepts now appear to be just weird - mainly that repay date of issued bonds is almost always outside the scenario's timeframe, which means that there is no large obstacle to issuing bonds indifinitely. Then there is strange issue with passengers and mail transportation - each city has certain supply of passengers and mail based on its size. And the further it is carried, the bigger value of such cargo is. Which makes sense. However, if you connect two close cities, say Topeka to Kansas City, you run out of both cities' people&mail supply fairly soon as the line is short and trains go from one to the second very quickly. While if you basically ship dudes from Topeka only to Sacramento or New York or some similarly distant city, you won't run out of supply of dudes and so Topeka's dudes are much more profittable as these lines will never exhaust supply and get ridiculous revenues that Topeka - Kansas City line would have gotten only if Topeka dudes' supply would have been unexhaustable. This way, you only ship passengers and mail on long lines and use short lines only when you cannot exhaust supply by the long ones. Which, to me, sounds like nonsense.

Amagic said:
March 3 supply barges, base assaults in june, building sized Chryssalid queens. Pain hardly describes it, more like !!FUN!!

Or you can have it my style of longwar... Ironman impossible first try, only maybe 4 missions in March, so I only have a handful of Specs and 1-2 Lcpls. 5 April, terror mission.

In otherwords, how to **** any human resistance in 1 month solid.

BenKenobi said:
hirovard said:
i need to get that again. Such an awesome game

Then there is strange issue with passengers and mail transportation - each city has certain supply of passengers and mail based on its size. And the further it is carried, the bigger value of such cargo is. Which makes sense. However, if you connect two close cities, say Topeka to Kansas City, you run out of both cities' people&mail supply fairly soon as the line is short and trains go from one to the second very quickly. While if you basically ship dudes from Topeka only to Sacramento or New York or some similarly distant city, you won't run out of supply of dudes and so Topeka's dudes are much more profittable as these lines will never exhaust supply and get ridiculous revenues that Topeka - Kansas City line would have gotten only if Topeka dudes' supply would have been unexhaustable. This way, you only ship passengers and mail on long lines and use short lines only when you cannot exhaust supply by the long ones. Which, to me, sounds like nonsense.

Seems to fit real life- long train journeys have many more carriages which are posher than the local ones, and of course the fares are higher. You can run a short distance local train in Railroad Tycoon games, but longer distance services are more lucrative so generally it is not worth it. Are there no other nearby cities to Kansas and Topeka that you could service with the same train? With just a couple of carriages on it could work, depending on just how close together they are. One advantage of doing these low profit routes is that it is less likely that an AI competitor will run a line into one of them and carry off the passengers. Imagine if you spent a fortune running a line to New York, only for a competitor to do the same a few months later and drain away the New york passenger supply.

What I mean is that the logic goes like that:

Kansas city produces enough dudes to fill 6 wagons in a month.
Longer routes are much more lucrative
As long as I exhaust 6 wagons per month, the further I take them the better.

The longer route makes 300 dollars and takes 3 days
The shorter route makes 100 dollars and takes 1 day
So far the revenues are the same, which is more or less logical
However, to make 1000 dollars, the longer route depletes 3,33 wagons, while the shorter needs 10 wagons. You run out of wagons.

It is basically like having Moscow IRL, and you announcing your great railway will service Moscow. Thousands Russians are really anxious to travel and gather on platforms. Then you tell them that you can only get them to Lisboa, because you get the biggest revenues that way. They will of course tell you to bugger off and will ride their horse carriages to Petrograd themselves, because only tiny fraction of them wanted to Lisboa. There should be some kind of attractivness or "quality" of connection provided to city - some modifier. Or maybe supply and demand counted for routes and lines, not cities themselves. Because, honestly, having only connection Kolkata - Birmingham or Cairo - Oslo blows. While in game, it would be the best connection ever, as long as each of those stations have enough demand to take all the passengers. Which they have, since they are all big cities.

BenKenobi said:

They added a feature that "fixes" this in openttd (groups of passengers will only travel where they want to go, predetermined when they "spawn"), but it makes the game so complex that no mainstream developer would ever release it with the base game. It also makes micromanagement an absolute nightmare if the economy changes even slightly.

Also I've been meaning to get RRT II to work on post-xp for almost a decade, but nothing seems to be working. I get menu crashes and weird graphics all o'er the shop. Any tips?

Dunno. I found ye olde CD and it works without any problems on Win7 64. It adjusts to 1920x1080 while running in 1024x768 with no problems. I know I had color glitches once when I tried it on XP. Seems like bad luck.

I have heards about that fix in OpenTTD, but never tried the game myself. Anyway, micromanagement drives me mad. I want to be fat cigar-smoking mogul, not some common railway man who connects wagons. I for one would be delighted if I could just plot route and the train would get the most profitable loadout available. But now, there is just "Go", "Wait for 1/2 wagons filled" or "Wait for all wagons". At least "Go without those wagons that cannot be filled atm" would do wonders.

Xenonauts is the real Xcom!  :cool:

2015_01_18_00006.jpg
2015_01_18_00007.jpg
2015_01_18_00012.jpg
2015_01_18_00013.jpg
2015_01_18_00019.jpg

How so? It's been in development for ages and some/many of the earlier builds were indeed dreadful.
But the game is XCom through and through.

More-so than that remake could ever dream to be.

os_hK.jpg
Q7h26.jpg
bi3va.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom