Scottish Independence

Users who are viewing this thread

kurczak said:
I'm hopin for a no, because 21st century Europe should be above 19th century romantic nationalism.

A large part of the No vote is motivated by 19th century romantic British nationalism.  The Better Together campaign has reflected this.  Other parts are motivated by 21st century British nationalism, which is not a very pretty sight either. 

Look at the groups who are supporting the No side, and you will find a far more unpleasant strand of nationalism among them than has ever existed in the Yes camp.

The National Front, BNP, Orange Order, Britannica (a BNP spin-off), Britain First, etc.  These are all unionist groups.  Always have been.

Anyway, off to vote.

Flanged said:
A large part of the No vote is motivated by 19th century romantic British nationalism.  The Better Together campaign has reflected this.  Other parts are motivated by 21st century British nationalism, which is not a very pretty sight either. 

Look at the groups who are supporting the No side, and you will find a far more unpleasant strand of nationalism among them than has ever existed in the Yes camp.

The National Front, BNP, Orange Order, Britannica (a BNP spin-off), Britain First, etc.  These are all unionist groups.  Always have been.

Anyway, off to vote.

On the same note however, a large part of the Yes vote is motivated by Xth century Scottish nationalism. A very distinct vibe from it is "Independent Scotland, **** yeah and **** the English" which is a very worrisome thing. Economic independence aside, the attitude given there is not a good one to have with your potential new foreign nationals sitting right over the border.

It probably doesn't help endear me to the yes vote that Salmond is the kind of person I'd expect to be selling used cars rather than political campaigns, but that's just me.

If Scotland decides to become a welfare state they can join us in the Börk Council.

Lb8jx95.jpg

kurczak said:
So it's really more about mythology than weight and effectiveness of one's vote.

Mythology?

The only reason Scotland is getting a chance to become independent is because of Mythology. It's obviously going to be a factor.

K-64 said:
Eктωρ said:
I'm hoping for a yes vote.

I would as well... except for the fact that the people are in the entirely wrong mindset, and they're already being damaging and trying to bully people into also voting yes. While there is a lot of scaremongering coming from the no side of the fence, the yes side is actually cutting people's phone lines and setting farmers' cattle on the road, simply because they put no signs up in their fields.

While I support an independent Scotland, the fact that people are taking the wrong attitude about it, and largely wanting it out of anti-English and/or anti-Torie spite means I think it would end up horribly.
I live in a Labor Stronghold. Anyone with a Yes Badge gets a beat in, or gets mugged. It's not just the Yes Voters attacking the No Voters. Everyone is pissing each other off.

ancalimon said:
I see no difference between the Scottish and the English. I don't think their independence would serve any meaningful purpose.
o_O

The English piss of the Scots, as much as the Scots piss of the English. We aren't meant to be together, we are meant to piss each other off. We have been doing so for centuries. The Scottish and English have massive differences. Each nation are probably going to say different, differences, in favor of their nations.

Back
Top Bottom