Scottish Independence

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm Irish born in the North of Ireland

Just like how a Scot is Scottish if born in Scotland or someone is Welsh if he was born in Wales.

Still part of the Union, but we have our own identities.

An Irish Noob said:
Why do you think the North of Ireland exists as it does? We are more connected with the rest of the Union than we are with people who live closer to us than they do.

I guess that depends on who you ask.

Aye and it's similar to what some Scots would be thinkin too.

Fear of change can be perfectly logical at times, depends what's changing  :razz:

Mage246 said:
Subsidies are life support; they're not a way to keep a company competitive, but just to keep them alive. Zombie companies.

Yes, but companies, like people, can recover.  They can be kept alive on life support for a few years, then recover and come back stronger and more profitable than ever.  That's what happened in France and Germany.  They subsidized their industrial base during the hard years of unprofitability, and as a result those industries are still alive, and in Germany's case thriving.  They utterly dominate the European market in terms of manufacturing and exported goods.

The UK's decision to turn off the life support machines meant that huge sections of industry died out altogether (no more British steel, etc.) leaving entire communities devastated, generational unemployment rampant, and saddling the country with a burgeoning benefits bill.  All this left Britain much less competitive than it's peers, rather than making us leaner, meaner, and more productive.

This kind of self-destructive short-termism is the curse of business all across the Anglosphere, but particularly in the UK. 

I'm not clued in to the details of contemporary UK nor EU politics to get all the inside jokes; but I'm told by a UK resident that this is pretty funny.

rebelsquirrell said:
So, besides spite, is there a reason the UK would want to deny Scotland the pound?

Because it forces economic responsibilities onto the UK that would not exist without a currency union, if Scotland goes to **** it will be the UK's job to fix it if we share the same currency.

EDIT: The UK government has promised even more money to Scotland if it stays, more? more you say? what a joke and they have now turned down the idea of an English Parliament, the Tories are so far removed from reality its actually hilarious, England is what put them in power but they are OK to shaft the English people with low government funding, how sad. I guess the Conservatives are gonna lose even more seats to UKIP next general election, utter tools.

In the current situation the UK wouldn't end up having to bail out a government which might be making ridiculous spending decisions independently of their parliamentary process.

AWdeV said:
would that be different from the current situation then?

What "Vermillion_Hawk" said and at least now Scottish taxes would pay for the UK's part in fixing Scotland's problem.

The simple truth of the situation is that the UK has nothing to gain in allowing Scotland to use the currency and much to potentially lose. I am all for Scotland wanting to be independent, but giving them a currency union would be like them "having their cake and eating it too".

Back
Top Bottom