[S] Calradia Divided - a Warband+ Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Shadowclaimer said:
Proie said:
add a sort of japanese empire is possible for you?

Chinese for now, and that'll be a tad difficult given it'll need some original models/textures which I've been trying to avoid.
you may also want to change the architecture, hopefully you won't have to though, this is one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

paladir said:
Shadowclaimer said:
Proie said:
add a sort of japanese empire is possible for you?

Chinese for now, and that'll be a tad difficult given it'll need some original models/textures which I've been trying to avoid.
you may also want to change the architecture, hopefully you won't have to though, this is one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

Bleh forgot about that, not looking forward to that, hence why I'll be doing it later..

Bit of nitpicking:

Feminine of Marquis is Marquesse.

Depends on the culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquis
A woman with the rank of marquess, or the wife of a marquess, is a marchioness (in British usage) (pronounced /ˌmɑrʃəˈnɛs/), or a marquise (in Europe, pronounced /mɑrˈkiːz/).
Which on the right it shows "Marquis and Marquise" as the male/female pairing under the typical "Marquis and Marchioness".

And since I'm using them as a Frankish culture, I decided to stylize it more "Frenchy" "French: Marquis, Margrave / Marquise" as found further down the page.

New Test Version Up:
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1803

Also, for those interested, here's the 4 unit trees for the first 4 factions.

I should also note the Falajid Caliphate will be replacing the Ossirian Prefecture, since I decided to go with a Fatamid style Empire as opposed to the Egyptian (Either Mamluk or Christian or pre-Middle Ages) for many reasons.

Code:
The Merovian Empire
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Recruit -> Footman  -> Axeman   -> Warrior (Axe/shield or 2h)
                                -> Axe Thrower (2h and throwing Axe)
                    -> Spearman -> Partisan (Spear and Shield) 
        -> Charger  -> Knight   -> Paladin (Heavy with sword/shield)
                    -> Lancer   -> Heavy Lancer (Heavy with Lance/shield)

The Anglisian Provinces
Trainee -> Militia  -> Man-At-Arms -> Guard    -> Royal Guard (Sword/Shield)
                                               -> Champion (Two-Hand Sword)
                                   -> Spearman -> Templar (Spear/Shield)
                                               -> Halberdier (Halberd)
                   -> Knight       -> Paladin (Sword/Shield Cavalry)
        -> Hunter  -> Longbowman   -> Yeoman (Archer)

The Salujan Shazade
Militia -> Footman -> Soldier  -> Guard     -> Royal Guard (Spear/Shield or Mace/Shield)
                               -> Mubarizun -> Immortal (1H, 2H, Shield)
                   -> Bowman   -> Archer (Archers)
        -> Raider  -> Nomad    -> Bedouin (Archer Cavalry)
                   -> Lancer   -> Heavy Lancer (Lance/Shield Cavalry)

The Falajid Caliphate
Recruit -> Militia -> Soldier  -> Veteran   -> Warrior (Shield/Sword or 2h)
                               -> Spearman  -> Pikeman (Shield/Pike)
        -> Hunter  -> Archer   -> Assassin (Archer + Sword)
                   -> Nomad    -> Bedouin (Horse Archer + Sword)
                               -> Cataphract (Sword or Lance + Shield)

I must say, this sounds very good :eek:. Wouldn't be able to help much, sadly. However, I could probably convince Ron to help you with a RCM add-on-pack, once he's worked the RCM to Warband, and once the mod is ready for it.

This sounds a lot like the Native Expansion, but possibly better :wink:.

Conners said:
I must say, this sounds very good :eek:. Wouldn't be able to help much, sadly. However, I could probably convince Ron to help you with a RCM add-on-pack, once he's worked the RCM to Warband, and once the mod is ready for it.

This sounds a lot like the Native Expansion, but possibly better :wink:.

Well the entirety of it all stemmed from the fact I was tired of the world not really fighting or changing, sure they make take a town here or there, but due to there being 6 factions, there really wasn't that much actual "fighting" besides marshals running around doing crap.

I figure making closer borders, having more factions, would make it a little more dynamic, and since powerful factions can have war declared on them just for being powerful (Sarranid's in my game tended to war people just for this reason under reasons it literally says "To curb the growing power of their empire" or something of the sort)

It could be very interesting in the final result, and more variety never hurts ;D

I think you should try making more Asian/Arab factions, we have enough European-style factions, maybe one-two Chinese-style and one-two Japanese-style factions?

Maybe you could replace the "Western/Eastern Calradian Empires" with them.

It would add a lot of variety.

GenericSoldierX said:
I think you should try making more Asian/Arab factions, we have enough European-style factions, maybe one-two Chinese-style and one-two Japanese-style factions?

Problem being I really don't want to extend out the map anymore east until I'm ready, and as I extend east I need to extend the northern bits, which means more European/Russian like nations for every so many arab/asian.

The other problem with Asian nations in particular is models, I can barely texture, I have a texture artist friend who's doing some work on the mod, I don't have any modeling experience or scene experience or anything of the sort. For Euros and Arabs I can just reuse other towns for the most part (Its not a huge deal) but for Asians there's not even a base set to reuse.

So the Zhodai Dynasty will probably come last after the rest, and then.. maybe not making any promises, I may consider more Eastern nations.

Also to note the Western/Eastern Calradians are primarily for backstory purposes than anything, they are there, they have great organized armies, but they are whittled down to nothing compared to how they used to be. They used to be one united Calradian Empire that ruled Calradia, then split west/east, then Swadia declared independence, then snowballing occurred until all the provinces of the former Calradian Empire except two are now their own nations.

Shadowclaimer said:
GenericSoldierX said:

Problem being I really don't want to extend out the map anymore east until I'm ready, and as I extend east I need to extend the northern bits, which means more European/Russian like nations for every so many arab/asian.

The other problem with Asian nations in particular is models, I can barely texture, I have a texture artist friend who's doing some work on the mod, I don't have any modeling experience or scene experience or anything of the sort. For Euros and Arabs I can just reuse other towns for the most part (Its not a huge deal) but for Asians there's not even a base set to reuse.

So the Zhodai Dynasty will probably come last after the rest, and then.. maybe not making any promises, I may consider more Eastern nations.

Also to note the Western/Eastern Calradians are primarily for backstory purposes than anything, they are there, they have great organized armies, but they are whittled down to nothing compared to how they used to be. They used to be one united Calradian Empire that ruled Calradia, then split west/east, then Swadia declared independence, then snowballing occurred until all the provinces of the former Calradian Empire except two are now their own nations.
You should start asking people to help you, I'm sure there's some model makers on this forum that would want to help you, and scene makers, etc.

Try asking Narf of Picklestink, here's some of his models: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,100949.0.html, he might be busy helping another mod, but if he isn't, he could probably help you.

Hey Shadowclaimer, have you tried using Morgh's mod tool? It makes adding/editing items/troops/etc a lot easier/faster, I think you should try using it if you haven't already.

Link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,105928.0.html

GenericSoldierX said:
Hey Shadowclaimer, have you tried using Morgh's mod tool? It makes adding/editing items/troops/etc a lot easier/faster, I think you should try using it if you haven't already.

Link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,105928.0.html

Yea I was part of the whole thread that spurred its development. The thing is they are text editting tools and I use the module system, its no faster for me to use txt and its 100x easier for me to use module system. Although Morgh has built an amazing toolset.

Shadowclaimer said:
Well the entirety of it all stemmed from the fact I was tired of the world not really fighting or changing, sure they make take a town here or there, but due to there being 6 factions, there really wasn't that much actual "fighting" besides marshals running around doing crap.

I figure making closer borders, having more factions, would make it a little more dynamic, and since powerful factions can have war declared on them just for being powerful (Sarranid's in my game tended to war people just for this reason under reasons it literally says "To curb the growing power of their empire" or something of the sort)

It could be very interesting in the final result, and more variety never hurts ;D
:shock: Your reason for doing this mod, somehow, has made me even more interested. Perhaps I just didn't understand the goal fully, before. If you're going to make it more of a taxing, ravaging war, it sounds like a great plan!

Still, might want to keep some of the theme Native has, where the conflicts don't last for fear of tempting another nation against you? Full-scale wars tend to be very costly, and anti-economy. So, due to the situation, there mightn't be a true full-scale war very often. It could range from Native's pettier skirmishes, to decent attacks, to a full-scale war--when there's a suitable reason.

You could actually have a quest on that, to make a suitable reason to go to complete war. People generally don't want to go to full wars without reason, though they don't mind petty raids where there isn't too much chance of losing or dying. If for example, the Princess was kidnapped by the enemy kingdom, you could get everyone up in arms and be capable of launching a full campaign against the enemy. If you just decided to, your people wouldn't feel much like it, and getting it done would be hard, and taxing on morale.

Quests could involve some very sinister matters, such as crucifying a lot of your own soldiers and saying the enemy is doing it, or crucifying a lot of their soldiers so they declare a campaign against you and your people are forced to fight back. There might be some less-evil ways also, hopefully, perhaps some spywork to discover that the Sultan eats pigs' feet, or you make up that he eats pigs' feet, and generally discredit him to raise your people's apprehension towards the enemy nation (they said Cleopatra had children with cloven hooves, and ate pearls, and all sorts, before they went to war against her--I think the reason they were able to declare war, was because Alexander wanted to be buried in Alexandria instead of Rome, and they used this as an excuse to say he wasn't patriotic).

A Very interesting quest idea, would be (if you were particularly loved by your nation) to go to an enemy town, and start a ruckus... so as to be CAPTURED. You'd choose a few Companions/Soldiers to come to rescue you, that night, to escape. If they're too incompetent, they'll fail. Once you get back, you can use the fact you were wrongly arrested, and how they were going to secretly execute you (likely a lie), to sow anger against your enemy in your people, to start a campaign. Alternatively, you could get another lord who is loved by the nation, to go and get captured in your stead, saving him yourself.

This, however, might be a bit tricky to do, so I'd leave some of it till later on. May need a good scripter to do this, perhaps even a coder? Maybe best to see if anyone is interested in either of those as you go, regardless of if you like the idea--assuming you don't already have a skilled one of either professions :mrgreen:.

That's the idea, hope it's decent.

Shadowclaimer said:

There are quite a few mods with Asian themes, with plenty of models and whatnot beautifully done. Prudent requests for use of some of their scenes, items, whichever, might come to good. Not sure what period of armours/weapons you want, or if it matters. I could try talking to Ron who could talk to Fujiwara (when he re-appears) in request of the use of some of their material, in exchange for credit and helping a good mod.
However, I'd leave that till you had some of the other stuff is more sorted out, since there's likely to be more interest in helping a mostly/partially finished mod.

Hmm... Would that mean the Caladrian Empire was originally a Chinese Empire? Doesn't matter really, just that I might be able to help with story additions to the game, if you don't have someone to do that for you already.

Best luck of luck with the mod! I really look forward to it :smile:.

Ah no the Calradian Empire didn't used to be a Chinese Empire, it just used to be an Empire that owned the entire area, Swadia, Vaegir, Rhodoks, Nords (except a few farther north), Sarranid, Salujan, Falujid, Merovian, Anlisian (except a few), all those nations used to be one unified empire, the Khergits and Zhodai however are newer empires that have moved west in recent years.

Swadia was the first to rebel against a failing empire, then others followed, until Calradia fractured into what it is now, and that's where you come into it, the various kingdoms have established themselves, but things are still shaky after years of civil war, there are plenty of things people don't like eachother for (territory, family disputes, ancient arguments, etc.) and its spurred a lot of modern conflicts.

Ah, OK. Wondering which race would've been in charge, since that'd have a lot of bearing on politics.

Reducing my post to a readable level:

I was suggesting that nations don't like full-scale wars, so you can only manage small-scale wars, unless you can get their fired up. There's be quests or propaganda to fire up the populace against the enemy nation, so that you can have a true campaign.

Mentioned also that there are a lot of Asian-themed mods, which have plenty of items and scenes that'd be useful. Later on, it's possible one of the modders wouldn't mind lending you some of their stuff, to help with the Asian nations. I could try talking to the guy who does Onin no Ran for you, at that stage.

You seem to have a good idea for the story of the game. All I could really offer is help with story, for companions or general background. Guess you already plan to do it on your own? Seems to be in good hands, I'd say :wink:.

Well I'm moreso trying to hold off on planning anything directly for the asian themed kingdom, I tend to overplan and never get anything done, so the less I bite off the easier it is to chew in steps.

And thank you, for now trying to keep myself as the staff member, then I can work at my own pace, when I hit a point where I can't handle it on my own I'll start kidnapping hiring people to work on the mod.

Shadowclaimer, are you opposed to blatant idea-suggesting at this point? Asking since I love making suggestions, and I have a few I would put forward currently, if you don't mind humouring me through them.

Did you greatly improve your English since last I read something about you, or did you steal someone else's avatar? O.0

Anyway, this sounds fabulous! Best of luck. ;P

Back
Top Bottom