Rome II: Total War

Users who are viewing this thread

Amontadillo said:
Aren't they supposed to be only like 8 feet long? Could be the angle of it.

Judging from the formation, they were going for the Makedonian phalanx there. Which means the sarissa, which should be something like 16-20 feet. AFAIK the 8-feet dory are usually held overarm, not underarm.

Carthage_sacredband.jpg

Large image

Is checking the thread too hard before posting? Just a few post up the same picture is already posted.

Your post was entirely useless, and mine would be as well, if I wouldnt add that although the soldiers look nice and all, it doenst really matter. The aim is to not really look at them that much, at least not up close. But its a nice bonus sure.

Is it just me or are the soldier models ridiculously over-detailed? I mean, feet with individually modeled toes wearing sandals composed of individually modeled leather straps? Really now? Is there nothing more important within the game that could use improvement or polishing that they're devoting resources to that?

Breaking news: Two people completely miss the point and make fools of themselves. Why am I even surprised by this?

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
A texturer can't do anything but texture.
I wonder how many of them they have.

Ring does have a point. And aside from such high detail being unnecessary, imagine how taxing it can be on a PC that isn't ultra modern with big units sizes in big battles.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Breaking news: Two people completely miss the point and make fools of themselves. Why am I even surprised by this?

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
A texturer can't do anything but texture.
I wonder how many of them they have.

I believe some number around 50, but definitely twice the amount of coders.

Coders are usually the hardest people to come by, and even then these companies like Bethesda and CA only hire the best.

I agree with RW on this one. Graphics and Aesthetics is not a weakness of the Total War series. Shogun II looks pretty badass already. However, gameplay is still sorely lacking i areas such as AI, both campaign and battle. I'd prfer them concentrating on that.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Ring does have a point. And aside from such high detail being unnecessary, imagine how taxing it can be on a PC that isn't ultra modern with big units sizes in big battles.
Because they're totally not using the extremely high end graphics settings right? And the models won't change when you change the graphics settings.

Ringwraith is talking about the dev team losing resources and development time in other areas of the game (interaction with other civilizations, economic mechanics, etc, etc) which could be deemed more important, for trivial things like individually modeled toes and sandals. They say that this is their biggest budget yet, so hopefully it shouldn't effect the rest of the game.

Ringwraith #5 said:

Not quite. In a perfect development team, everything would get finished at exactly the same time. That doesn't happen. The art department probably finished earlier than they predicted, so they went to town on the details. Also, they're making the game more future proof.

It bugs me to no end when someone whines about games not being detailed enough (ie, the PC gaming master race) and then goes so far as to complain when there's too much detail as to make the game look decent in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom