Rocket Teamkills

Users who are viewing this thread

LtSpearing

Sergeant Knight
Okay, so I know I'm not the only one who has been tk'd by a rocket, but honestly, look in the logs of most servers, they kill more teammates than friendlies.

In a battle, all TWENTY-FIVE of my men got blown to hell from a single rocket, and funnily enough AT SPAWN.

And then, next map, a stray rocket blew up half of us in a column.

Next round, same thing, but in line.

Although it's a nice idea to have a special rocket troop, can they PLEASE be disabled except for sieges and as a server rule or something?

I see more trolls using them then actual players, using them snipe allied regiments and big groups of friendlies, do we honestly want this weapon in the hand of a troll?

While I agree that the rocket is often abused, its part of the game. It shouldn't be taken out for the players that legitimately want to use it, the kick poll is there for a reason  :grin:

The rocket is perhaps the most historically accurate piece in the mod, oddly enough. They were horribly inaccurate, and were meant only for large groups of units. And even then, it was generally accepted that their real value lay in psychological damage.

I think the issue here is that, in an online gaming environment, it simply doesn't work. It's very weird that I find myself wondering why something was included when it happens to be the one thing that is represented in the most accurate manner historically lol.

I can actually see it having some nice effects in LBs, they may be inaccurate but if one of those guys somehow lands in a massive bunch of guys, that's 20+ dead. Enemy regimental leaders, bearing that in mind will keep their guys spread out, making it easier to pick them off with cavalry. And a well timed barrage of 3 rockets could get some nervous captain to order his men to break formation and spread out, making them easy to run through with bayonets

I'd rather there be an option to set them as on or off really. The tk's I witness are appalling really :/

Commander Millander said:
Anything that explodes besides howitzers shouldn't be on pub.

+1

But, the explosive crates are rather useful, especially in areas that are too urban to fit a howitzer. Just make an option to opt out the rockets. Howitzers are more difficult to intentionally tk with, and crates are well... rather noticeable due to the hissing.

Allow them, just restrict the number and drop the number of rockets from 100 to something like 20-30.

I was on a siege server today and some guy kept sinking friendly ships with rockets  :neutral: there does need to be some kind of restriction on rocket artillery.

They weren't accidents unfortunately. I have twice temp banned people for blowing up the Spearing and his men. Although i think one occasion was then they were gathering up in formation at the spawn and someone placed an explosive crate in there middle of their line...at least that was what it looked like. Either way the result was a wall of death up the left of my screen.

Still i dont think this is a reason to remove them from the public servers as they just add so much atmosphere. Instead i think we just need clearer rules about punishments for people who teamkill using them. As at the moment its hard to know whether it is acceptable to perm ban them or not.

I played for 2 hours and lost count of how many players I see purposely firing rockets at team mates who were leaving the spawn area, IMO teamkilling purposely has always been a bannable offense so why wouldn't it be now just because they're using rockets? ban them for a few days, get their key logged, if you catch that key doing it again then give a perma ban from your server.

If someone keeps accidently getting TKs with rockets, they should be warned to use another class/weapon as they clearly aren't efficient enough to use it and are helping the enemy more than they are their own team, if they refuse and carry on using it and end up with more TKs, a temp ban should teach them to either be morecareful in future, or use another weapon. There are only so many accidents that are excusable before it becomes a problem. I know my patience will run out very quickly if someone from my own team keeps "accidently" blowing me up because they ****ing suck at using the rockets.

Gragnok said:
They weren't accidents unfortunately. I have twice temp banned people for blowing up the Spearing and his men. Although i think one occasion was then they were gathering up in formation at the spawn and someone placed an explosive crate in there middle of their line...at least that was what it looked like. Either way the result was a wall of death up the left of my screen.

Still i dont think this is a reason to remove them from the public servers as they just add so much atmosphere. Instead i think we just need clearer rules about punishments for people who teamkill using them. As at the moment its hard to know whether it is acceptable to perm ban them or not.
I agree with this.
Accidents happen.
Nvm

There will always be idiots and trolls. If you remove rockets, they will take explosive crates, if you remove those, they will take artillery crew and fire canister shot into friendlies, i think the best way to deal with this problem is just to kick/temp ban or even perm ban repeated offenders, or somehow restrict players from becoming artillery if they abuse them too much. I really, really love the rockets on the public server because it makes me hide like a sissy :grin: Please don't remove them..

From an admins perspective i say rockets are fine. Now before you all start raging at the first sentence and having a temper tantrum screaming 'crusader stfu' let me explain.

The rockets in themselves are fine, its the players behind them that need to learn their limits, currently the TK auto kick is set at -5 i would suggest lowering this to -3.

Secondly spearing let me acutally properly explain what transpired yesterday. The two times your guys got tked was because:
1. The person behind the rockets was actually a teamkiller and was banned for his actions
2. You deployed in front of a rocket, and when one of your members stood up the rocket hit him and exploded your guys, it is common sense to NOT deploy in front of artillery.

As for the explosive crates, limit them to 1 or 2 per team, they are exceptionally annoying and troll heaven.

As for the canister shot i would like to highlight a player called 'was_up' as map after map he seemed to enjoy blowing his allies up, after i warned him (after being notified on steam about the incident) i planned to temporarily ban him, however he got the jist and quickly left the server.

Trolls will be trolls, however raging about a gameplay element because your guys got targeted by a teamkiller is in no means reflective on rockets uses.

Rocket's were inaccurate. They were really unrealible must of the time. But i think in this case, the friendlies killing you is either very very poor aim, an inaccuarte rocket, or a troll which in that case should be kicked, then temp banned, then perm banned.

BrC Crusader said:
From an admins perspective i say rockets are fine. Now before you all start raging at the first sentence and having a temper tantrum screaming 'crusader stfu' let me explain.

The rockets in themselves are fine, its the players behind them that need to learn their limits, currently the TK auto kick is set at -5 i would suggest lowering this to -3.

Secondly spearing let me acutally properly explain what transpired yesterday. The two times your guys got tked was because:
1. The person behind the rockets was actually a teamkiller and was banned for his actions
2. You deployed in front of a rocket, and when one of your members stood up the rocket hit him and exploded your guys, it is common sense to NOT deploy in front of artillery.

As for the explosive crates, limit them to 1 or 2 per team, they are exceptionally annoying and troll heaven.

As for the canister shot i would like to highlight a player called 'was_up' as map after map he seemed to enjoy blowing his allies up, after i warned him (after being notified on steam about the incident) i planned to temporarily ban him, however he got the jist and quickly left the server.

Trolls will be trolls, however raging about a gameplay element because your guys got targeted by a teamkiller is in no means reflective on rockets uses.
I personally didnt see the whole incident, but i think this sumed it up.
I personally don't think rockets should be used just for sieges because they are very hard to deploy on the walls and still hit anthing and they would be to inaccurate on the attacking side.

I'm sure the rockets are steeped in historical tradition and all that...

...but I can't picture a commander handing a hundred rockets to some forest gump like mouth-breather who giggles every time he lights one and hops up and down clapping excitedly every time it went boom, regardless of which faction it landed on.

Been TKed by rockets myself. But i prefer to be TKed by a rocket than anything else. The sheer lols at the it happening makes up for the death.

Of course, anyone purposely TK'ing should be kicked/banned as usual.

BrC Crusader said:

So crates are bad, but rockets are okay.

IMO rockets, even if historically accurate, are the worst feature in game - it's user can only control the general direction he wants them to fly to, but that's it. Everything else is in the hands of the random number generator. You can't really talk about skilled rocket users - just like you can't have skill in dice rolls. This rocket novelty will wear off sooner or later, and then admins start limiting them, and then just disabling.

Nothing stops a rocket from just dropping down into a group of teammates instead of continuing it's flight right into enemies.

I personally think they are fine although the rockets can go stray. But the main issue here is friendly fire. I've honsetly always hated it because it opens the doors for trolls, not to mention the fact that fighting in melee with a few people is just annoying.

Back
Top Bottom