Right to rule in details

Users who are viewing this thread

lexav

Recruit
Hello all,

All my apologies if the question I'm about to ask as already been answered, as I failed to find something related on the forum.
I'm wondering about the actual use for Right to rule;

In a first play-through of Warband (vanilla), I rebelled against King Ragnar in order to form my own faction and keep my conquest of Rivacheg. I didn't check right to rule (it was around 20) and ended up a war wit every other factions in under a month. However 5-6 lord came to my castle to request allegiance.

I've went to the wikia page about right to rule and it states that it determines whether lords will join you or not. However I've been quite successful on that part even though my right to rule was pretty low (around 50 is often mentioned as a good value to start one's own faction).
It also states that the game script doesn't check for right to rule to determine if other factions will go at war with you. However every faction declared war on me, even ones I had positive relation with, while my honor was positive. Renown was around 800.

So do we know exactly how the game handle that variable ? What does it impact exactly ? (I love formulas)

Bonus : I'm now using Diplomacy mod, is there something inside that tweaks right to rules ?

Thanks in advance

lexav

Well I can't speak to the diplomacy mod because I no longer use it.

But in native it has an effect on whether a lord will choose to join you but isn't the sole factor. If a lord is expelled or defects he may join your if you have lands to offer, have good relations (not 100% on this but seems to be the case) and most likely his relations with other factions/rulers have an effect.

You'll get plenty of stragglers along the way but when you approach lords and ask for their allegiance, your relations, persuasion skill, and right to rule affect whether they join you or not. With a low right to rule you'll have a harder time because you aren't recognized as legitimate, but it's not impossible to recruit.

I would venture to say there is something in diplomacy mod that caused them to all declare war on you (never had that happen so early in native, and is the main reason i quit diplomacy). From my experience in native, factions wage war on you when you become too powerful, immediately after a rebellion, and just random chance based off whom you border with.

Disclaimer: that's all anecdotal evidence, but i have many different play throughs and many many hours in single-player campaign (this is the only game i play).

Thanks for your answer !

My description of event was referring to my first play-through, where I didn't use the Diplomacy mod.

It seems that right to rule importance is very relative, compared to other factor when deciding a lord to join you.
Concerning the series of war declaration, I'm clueless. at the time my right to rule was very low, so it could be a reason. According to lore elements, low right to rule seems will make kings attack you, but the wikia states otherwise. Maybe I was just unlucky...

All in all, it doesn't seem to me that right to rule is so important; every where I go I see advises for high right to rules, with a lot of rule of thumb telling to raise it above 50 before creating a kingdom, but I fail to see the reason, if it doesn't make kings attack you, or keep them from attacking.

I haven't played Native in ages, but having low RtR will trigger several Kingdoms to attack you at the same time (I think I've gotten away with around 25-30 RtR.  Been a while since I last played).

In your case, I'd like to ask what you took when you first started your kingdom in your first playthrough?  Was it just a random fief that really didn't see a change of hands or was it one that was constantly being thrown back and forth between several factions (like Dhirim, for example)?  If it was a fief that changed hands with several kingdoms, then every kingdom would put a claim to it and you taking it would make you an easy target for them to just declare war without having to piss off other kingdoms (...too much).

At least that's what I think was going on.

Back
Top Bottom