REQ: Un-nerfed archery mod

Users who are viewing this thread

DarkAngel

Recruit
I'm sure others will be interested!

A simple mod to revert to 0.751 archery in ver 0.800. No flames please!

DarkAngel said:

The major difference between arrows in v.0.751 and v.0.800 is that in v.0.800 you need to aim above an enemy to calculate the arch. I'm not sure if they were event effected by gravity in v.0.751, because you needed to aim well below an enemy to hit them. The change takes a little while to get used to, but I like it.

He's sure others will be interested, but he declares 'no flames please' as he expects them.  :roll:

I'm all for changing bow damage back, that should be pretty simple.  I'm not sure if the powerdraw reticle behaviour is moddable.

PS, I hate people who can't change or learn: everything has to be just how it was.  Everyone's experienced the 'counterstrike effect', where any serious change is hounded on the forums by retards who can't bear change, and who can't handle anything less than 't0t4l pwn4g3'.  :eek:

Septa Scarabae said:
DarkAngel said:

The major difference between arrows in v.0.751 and v.0.800 is that in v.0.800 you need to aim above an enemy to calculate the arch. I'm not sure if they were event effected by gravity in v.0.751, because you needed to aim well below an enemy to hit them. The change takes a little while to get used to, but I like it.

Um.....not really....the arch has always been there....since like, v.5-.6 or somthing (forgot when i started M&B). I think, right now the archery is just less accurate and less powerful. I usually shoot people zooming in....and I think zooming in makes the arch more apparent, I dont un-zoom snipe people very much so I dunno.

Chilly5 said:
Um.....not really....the arch has always been there....since like, v.5-.6 or somthing (forgot when i started M&B). I think, right now the archery is just less accurate and less. I usually shoot people zooming in....and I think zooming in makes the arch more apparent, I dont un-zoom snipe people very much so I dunno.

But, then why would you have to aim well below someone to hit them? The further away something was in v.0.751, the lower you needed to aim.

I agree with Chili. I always had to aim while dealing with the arc in the zoom, not sure how nobody else noticed. Is it bpossible that the arc changed with differant power draw levels and bows?

DynastyFenix said:
I agree with Chili. I always had to aim while dealing with the arc in the zoom, not sure how nobody else noticed. Is it bpossible that the arc changed with differant power draw levels and bows?

Not sure, but I never zoom and always had to aim below something to shoot higher.

Colt said:
Velocity.

Word. Won't help the reticule thingy though, but certainly makes projectiles stay on their parth (or makes their path more direct) for longer times. After all, you wouldn't need a 45 degree angle to fire (and hit) a longbow at 20 meters would you?

Ugh...can we not talk about the speed of the arrow relative to the ground please? This is reminding me too much of Physics class...
Anyways...I kinda like the new system. It just seems more realistic in every update.

To improve accuracy:

Lower the power draw requirements on all bows (worst case, drop it to 0 for all bows) and / or give everyone a boost to bow proficiency (+100 or so).

What fisheye said. You definately do not want to increase velocity becuase that is actually a major factor that makes the bows inaccurate (like with the assasin bow in darkmod).

Anyway, I like the new difficult archery. It makes archery something challenging to strive for rather than being a broken thing where I can kill river pirates before they ever reach me at level one and then proceed on to becoming a god like horse archer in about 20 levels.

In my opinion this is a step i the right direction. The way I see it the only real problem is that the aim time before the cross-hairs bloom have been reduced to almost zero and, just like Raz pointed out, that the accuracy parameter does not seem to be used. Without the accuracy parameter modders have no control over bow accuracy without lowering bow requirements.

I did a crude test by going to Wercheg, going to the town square, and without moving from the starting positioning shooting arrows at the castle gate with different bows. All shots were aimed at the same spot and my character had power-draw 10 and skill 200.

White arrows: Short bow (powerdraw req 1) ~10 arrows
Grey arrows: Khergit bow (powerdraw req 3) ~10 arrows
Striped arrows: War bow (powerdraw req 4) ~50 arrows

I don't really know what to say about it but it reminds me about the endless discussion about running speed back when v0.700(?) was released.

Back
Top Bottom