Relationship Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Jotun1

Recruit
Before I begin I would like to say that I did some research about this in the forum.  I found a few topics about it, but it was always mixed in with a hundred other suggestions about various mods and other topics.  On top of that, I didn't find the way they talked about these relationships to be particularly amiable or kid friendly, something which I very much desire the game to remain as I will be introducing my own children to the game in a few years. 
Described below is my vision of how to make Mount and Blade Bannerlord an Immortal Game.  I came up with these ideas for a couple of reasons; I was bored in peacetime and after a certain point I became so effective on the battlefield that there was nothing left to do but destroy everyone and let my sovereign manage the kingdom.  There were only limited ways to enjoy peacetime and very few threats to my person, property or “friends.”  Please take some time to seriously consider my suggestions.  I don’t know anything about game development, only what makes a game truly engaging in the long-term.

My first suggestion which I found to be shared by several other users is to speed up the days and nights so as to promote longer term relationships and aging.  I once conquered the whole of Calradia in 453 game days which is simply not feasible (1.5 years).  I would rather start the game with a 25 year old and conquer Calradia in 30 or 40 years after having time to grow and develop into a powerful warlord and charismatic leader.  Speeding up chronological time also promotes long-term relationships, and allows for the having of children by one's wife or husband.  Arguments between the man and wife over how to raise the children, when they should be allowed to fight, whether any should be disowned and whom they should marry will add much more depth to the relationships available in the game.  It will also add interesting dynamics if the king makes one or more of them lords in their own rights, and the family fractures as a result of faction swapping.

Relationships with other Lords:

Right now relationships with other lords is unbearably dull.  Whenever I encounter one I may have a grand total of three things to say to them.  While I don't want to spend 10 minutes talking to one lord I do want to have the option to do so.  I'll just spend more time with lords I see as potential allies and friends or even just plain useful than with those I regard as less so.

Understand that, while a number of players merely want to go around and hit stuff, others are really putting themselves in the shoes of their character, and improving the available depth of relational opportunities is very important to the game dynamic.

Enemies and Friends,

Right now your enemies may send assassins after you, or say nasty things, or not join in your campaigns but that's about it.  Your friends talk nicely and do some things you ask them to but ultimately it's very static and dull.  I want enemies coming for my family! I know it sounds strange, but enemies should act like enemies, they should try to subvert your standing with the King, sway your friends from your side, send assassins after you and your sergeants in the streets, steal from your people, and, if they really really hate you, even attack your family, hold them for ransom or slay them and your soldiers when they take your fortress.

Likewise, your friends should try to support you, protect your towns when they hear they are being attacked, protect your reputation among the other nobles, pacificate your enemies, and be amenable to leaving soldiers (or staying themselves) to protect your family when the marshal calls you away on campaign because you are his greatest general and can't spare not having you.  Furthermore you should be able to marry your daughters to the sons of friends (and enemies by way of making them friends and settling differences peaceably). 

You should be able to marry the king's daughter, and ascend to the throne of one of the kingdoms peaceably whether by marriage or by election.  You should be able to plot the overthrow of your sovereign and support uprisings against enemy lords, then put yourself in a place where you can then take their kingdom or their property.  (of course you may then have an uprising on your hands, this prevents you from simply taking over everything by assassinating every king).

Furthermore, you should be able to die.  It should not be an easy task of course, but it should be doable.  If you begin the battle at more than half health there should be no chance you will die in the engagement, but if you begin the battle at less than half health there should be a 2-5% chance of fatality (this includes being carried off on a stretcher and returning to battle after first aid is applied) if your health hits 0.  Another possibility is to have you die if you’re health goes to a certain negative value after being struck (say you have 6 hp and you take 20 from a heavy opponent which drops you below -10 health, it’s a mortal wound and you have just enough time to appoint an heir before dying).  Then you can resume as your son, daughter, one of your sergeants whom you loved and appointed successor, a lord or lord’s son or daughter who is a family friend, or even your wife, who would then rides forth to avenge you, and perhaps marry one of your friends after a time of mourning.

Vendetta's:

There should be an option to take up a vendetta, which you obtain from your sovereign.  The vendetta option becomes available when another lord kills someone important to you, a friend, a retainer, a child or spouse, or even the trusted village elder who has been amiable to your rule for so long.  The king grants you permission to assemble your friends (much as you would if you were marshal), and allows you to attack the other lord whether that lord belongs to the same kingdom or not.  This of course carries the chance that that family will rise up in another vendetta and a feud will ensue weakening the strength of the kingdom, so the king may not grant it, but if he likes you a lot, and supports you, the other family may back down and even turn in the wayward lord for judgement.

It would be cool if you have the option to raze his castle town or village to the ground as well.

Traitors:

It seems that there are a lot of lord's changing factions in Mount & Blade which is eloquently disruptive of the political atmosphere (as exceptional as it can be anyway, in the mechanical political atmosphere of the game).  Treason should be a punishable offence.  When a lord changes sides (without being banished), that is an attack on the sovereignty of the king, and the stability of the empire because the lord often takes castles or towns with him, yet this only damages his relationship with the king and maybe some other lords.  If a traitor is captured in combat the player should have the option to kill the traitor on the spot (damages relationships with his friends), take him in for judgement (gains honor, relationship with own king and relationships with nobly oriented lords improved), or to release him (damages relationship with the realm, the king, several lords, and improves relationship with the traitor and his friends).  Something in the dialogue should indicate that the captured noble is a traitor.  Additionally, I feel strongly about trials and judges.  Naturally there should be the option to not engage in it and simply let it take its course, but there should also be a quest involved in the capture of sons daughters or friends who were caught in treasonous doings (plotting an overthrow, changed sides, gave away strategic information etc), and either gather evidence such as testimonials for or against the accused.

Overall, the greatest difficulty I see with Mount and Blade native in it's current form is that fighting is the most exciting thing about it.  The role play aspect and the relationships are secondary and mechanical, when it should be the other way around.  The relationships that the player has and that the lords, principalities, and kingdoms have with each other should be a driving force behind the wars, the treaties, the vendetta's, the quests, and the peace, and it is in this that the majority of gameplay should exist, must exist for the new game to be a long-lasting success.  All the updated trades, warfare, castle's, options etc in the world won't differentiate Bannerlord from Warband in a truly meaningful manner.  The relational aspect must come first.  This does not mean there won't be plenty of fights to be had.  Bandits are always out there, caravans need to be guarded or raided, and in wartime there will always be battles to be fought, but instead of just running around for the other 40% of the time, put a way to actively influence the social and political landscape of the realm.

Also be very careful whom you marry because who lord or lady may be weak such that living with them would be easy, but their suggestions would be of little use, or perhaps argumentative, stupid, etc.  This adds an interesting dynamic in that strategic marriages may not always be the best idea, maybe you’ll get to be part of a strong family, but your spouse will be of little assistance in the long-term.  But who knows? Some players may prefer submissive spouses who have a lot of good connections…but then those lords may be quarrelsome and not be good ones to have on your side.

Finally, I want lords and others to approach me for purposes not related to attacking me.  A lord who is an enemy may go out of his way to stop me and make crude remarks and sneer as he gives me some bad news or comments on a decision I made.  A friend may come up to give me good news, or to warn me that my castle or town is under attack. Ex: “Your son was born while you were away fighting in the King’s war.  What do you want to call him?”  Couriers should bring me information (and sometimes be waylayed by bandits/chased to make the message take longer to arrive or not at all).

I strongly believe that everything I just talked about will contribute to the tremendous success of the game.  If even 2 or 3 suggestions actually reached development the game would be that much better.

Also, please please please, criticize me.

I would love to critizise you but I can't- everything you said was solid and well thought out. It's a shame that at most a portion of these sugs will end up in the game.

Back
Top Bottom