Regenerate Health

Users who are viewing this thread

SoTAL

Sergeant at Arms
Any chance to implement regenerating health in battle for yourself/maybe the AI? Just keep it an option so the purists won't need to have it, but please do it. I think Blood and Steel has a heroic health feature, shouldn't be too hard to implement the scripts I'd think.

The harm is it would take time that I (we?) would rather devote to new features/systems, rather than a cheat.
If you check out module_mission_templates, I believe there is a disabled Custom Commander cheat trigger you could re-activate. Or, I believe there is a cheat key combination built into the game for a full refresh of health.

Also, the stickied Suggestions thread would have been the perfect place for this topic.

I just feel like there should be some way of regenerating health when you're out of combat, if you get unlucky and lose health early on in a siege for example you're kinda ****ed. Shouldn't be overpowered or anything, just so that you don't have to be super-careful for the rest of the battle if you get hit by a javelin or something at start.

Well to keep this realistic, we would have to actually do the opposite - draining your health after you are wounded  :razz:

We wont do that - no worries :wink:

Duh said:
Well to keep this realistic, we would have to actually do the opposite - draining your health after you are wounded  :razz:

We wont do that - no worries :wink:

Way to turn it around :razz:

Anyway, I've been looking around in mission_templates.py a bit, and I the only thing I can find from general searches is the the cheat to get full ammo. Anyone care to enlighten me as to where it is? :wink: Scratch that, I'm retarded and it was right in my face. Too much of a cheat for me though, was thinking more of a kinda balanced thing that slowly regened your health when out of combat.

A health regenerating script ala something like in call of duty games? I don't think it's a terrible idea, I can't tell you how many times I'll get unlucky and take a javelin, arrow, or bolt to the face at the beginning of a siege and know that I wont be able to fight without getting sneezed on and dieing. It's part of a larger problem I see with M&B, on the one hand you want a challenge for the player, so they feel like an underdog, but on the other hand the player is supposed to be a hero who unites all of Calradia or what ever heroic goal they choose. It's hard to think of your character as a hero however when it's so easy to die ingloriously or to be beaten down by raw numbers. Not that I want the player to defeat entire armies, it's that in larger battles the player is discouraged from actively engaging, you either need to be on a horse or have a ranged weapon to survive the statistics, because every common foot soldier knows he's doomed and so is the player if he's forced into that role. There is no romantic duel between the great leader of the army (you) and the enemy lords men when four of them face hug you, swinging and blocking for each other so you can't get a hit in no matter what you do. Or, in that same situation, you do manage to get a hit in and kill one, the guy directly behind him releases his swing and you take a hit to the face before the body even falls out of the way. Simply inglorious, ask any AI lord who falls like a sack of potatoes at the top of a siege ladder.

If the player could heal over time, they'd have an incentive to actually try to fight in those muckier situations. If the worst happened and they managed to survive it, they wouldn't be doomed for the rest of the battle and be forced to sit back and watch. Though obviously the danger of this is it will feel like a cheat to some, making the game too easy, you'd have to be very careful in balancing it, and it would have to be optional. Still, not a bad idea, but if it came down to it between this and a new feature from Caba, then I'd take the new feature. Disregarding the argument that this itself is a new feature, and what is and is not a cheat. (Bodyguards to an ambush? cheat  :roll:)

I've got to say, I'd be all over something like regenerating health: to a certain extend to keep it "fair", let's say it kicks in after a few seconds of being hit with a limit to half your health or something. Maybe have it tied to the different medicine skills and/or have it also work on enemy lords.

In my view it would improve gameplay in areas, for the reasons already mentioned.
For instance: It puts a pretty big damper on the feeling of victory as I singlehandedly have defeated a dozen horsemen bearing down on my archer group, when I then look at the tiny sliver that was once my proud full health bar and realise that I now have to hide behind some bushes for the duration of the fight.
The “continue fight after you’re knocked out”-feature fixes this somewhat, but that still means your then nothing but a bystander.

Duh said:
Well, if you’re talking realism then you’d just do away with the health bar completely and have the player go down after one hit. Most people decided on hot sitting down action for a while, maybe with some thee and scones, after a decent sword swing to the leg, after all. :wink:
Alternatively, if you want to go with realism; in my mind the health bar makes more sense if it’s a stamina bar, or something. With the attacks that hit you and drain your bar – instead of oneshoting you, such as an arrow to the head – being superficial wounds that wear you out. Then regenerating health would mean you catching your breath.

Then again, this is a game where a horse can knock me over and run over my prone body and I’m fine afterwards. Take that realism! :wink:

Energy-sword.jpg

I await implementation

Raygereio said:
Fattyfat said:
If it ain't broke...
Well, that's just the thing: some people do feel like it's broken.  :smile:

In what manner is the current health system broken?  The game is already easy enough.  If you are getting killed too fast, reduce the damage in the settings and wear some armor. you'll live forever.  That not only solves the problem but is a hell of a lot simpler than adding arcade-style health kits and regeneration, particularly when the time spent could be used on any of the hundred other suggestions in the /appropriate/ suggestion thread in the stickies.

SkyTime said:
I wouldnt call it a cheat, rather realism, some kind of. I mean, if id have free time in battle, id take the time to heal some minor wounds :razz:

And if you had free time in battle, tell me exactly how you would "heal" your minor wounds, in this hypothetical "realist" situation?

SoTAL said:
I just feel like there should be some way of regenerating health when you're out of combat, if you get unlucky and lose health early on in a siege for example you're kinda ****ed. Shouldn't be overpowered or anything, just so that you don't have to be super-careful for the rest of the battle if you get hit by a javelin or something at start.

See above damage setting and armor wearing comment.

Smarmellows said:
If the player could heal over time, they'd have an incentive to actually try to fight in those muckier situations. If the worst happened and they managed to survive it, they wouldn't be doomed for the rest of the battle and be forced to sit back and watch. Though obviously the danger of this is it will feel like a cheat to some, making the game too easy, you'd have to be very careful in balancing it, and it would have to be optional. Still, not a bad idea, but if it came down to it between this and a new feature from Caba, then I'd take the new feature. Disregarding the argument that this itself is a new feature, and what is and is not a cheat. (Bodyguards to an ambush? cheat  :roll:)

If you need incentive to get into "muckier" situations, see above comment about lowering damage settings and wearing armor.  I'll even add the suggestion to wear a shield, I know, crazy right?

Shingles said:
Energy-sword.jpg

I await implementation

I could get behind that.  Rofl.

Fattyfat said:
In what manner is the current health system broken? <snip>when the time spent could be used on any of the hundred other suggestions in the /appropriate/ suggestion thread in the stickies.
It feels broken for some people in the manner which people have already stated in this thread. Look - silly and snide "arcade" and "halo" insults aside - we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one; you don't see the use in this, while myself and others do see the possible increase in enjoyment of playing this game that this can bring. It's that darned difference in opinions and tastes screwing things up again. Don't you just hate it when that happens?
Much like for instance I can look at many things in the suggestion thread and think to myself: "Gee, that's completely and utterly useless/ridiculous. I would never use that/I can't see how anyone would want that". Now you may think to yourself at this point why you don't see myself ridiculing the suggestions that other people like and I don't, well that's because something like that would be somewhat of a silly thing to do. Wouldn't you agree?

Ps: But I do agree with the implied suggestion there that the OP should have posted this in the suggestion thread as that's what it's for. Heck, I'm half tempted now to post this in the suggestion thread.

I don't see it as useless, it has served many other games well (albeit very different games that share little else in common with this one).  A little silly, certainly.  My problem is that there are already workarounds for the implied "issues" that are proven to work.  If you need someone to fiddle with a module, txt files and such and label it a "feature" that you can download to fool yourself into believing it is different from "cheating" then I think you need to reevaluate.  I fully support cheating of any nature that makes the game more fun for the person playing the game - it is a single player game after all, tweak and cheat to your heart's content, it won't hurt anyone else.  Taking valuable time away from adding features that /don't/ already have workarounds is unacceptable, on the other hand.

I apologize if my text has been "snide" - conversation often does not translate well in a text based environment.

Welcome to the intranetz.

SkyTime said:
This kind of thing should be optional, as some find it usefull and some dont. If it gets added ofcourse, and this is still a suggestion, and suggestions are often to be made better so why not give your own opinions about this instead of spamming the thread with some Halo ****?

Note that the said "halo ****" is exactly what you are asking to implement, therefore holds at least some kind of relevance, just as references to call of duty and other similar styled games.

Also note that I did indeed give my own opinions.  Wear some armor and turn the difficulty down.

If you are so worried about "instantly" getting healthier with the cheat, then do what you would do if there was a regenerating system implemented... go sit in a corner for whatever preordained amount of time you feel is necessary and THEN hit the cheat.  It will work the same, since the entire premise is "not in combat".

SkyTime said:
E: And i cant see how is the 'halo****' related to the request im supporting here.

Halo has an integrated "regeneration" system similar to the one you are suggesting.  What wasn't clear about that when I said it before?

Fattyfat said:
I apologize if my text has been "snide" - conversation often does not translate well in a text based environment.
True and smilies only get one so far. I took no offence and I hope no offence was taken with my own equally snide reply. I went and made it a suggestion over at the proper thread. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's implemented. Or maybe you'll be lucky and something else will. We'll see, won't we? :wink:

As an aside.
I honestly loath the usage of the word "cheat" these days. Cheating is something you in competitive settings where you decieve and screw another player over and deprive them of fun. There is no such thing as cheating in a singleplayer game. The only cheats there are really poorly named console commands and similar features that one can use to increase the enjoyment one gets from the game. There's nothing bad about use those.[/rant]

Back
Top Bottom