[REENACTMENT] GRUNWALD BATTLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Full contact with roman armor is suicide :grin:  Forearm and eye protection are very low. Like the ****ing barbute. Many people like the look but that's not safe at all. Klappvisor, best helmet ever done.

we did full contact with blunt steel swords and Saxon/Viking armour.
not everyone wore a helm of any kind (I didn't unless there were strict rules for that particular show) and a nasal helm has very little in the way of protection for the eyes.

injuries do occur, but in most cases, they aren't noticed until afterwards when the adrenaline rush is over.

locan said:
Forearm and eye protection are very low.

That's what the manica is for.

manicaebent.jpg

Big scutum also helps a bit.

locan said:
Forearm and eye protection are very low. Many people like the look but that's not safe at all.

Galea offered more than decent protection of the head. Enemy certainly would not choose an eye as his first target when attacking the enemy. Most soldiers would sacrifice a bit of protection to get better visibility from the helmet, which also helps avoiding the whole attack.

Not safe at all?  :roll:
Crap.

FrisianDude said:
Next time I'm rooting for the Teutons. :mad:

Very impressive. Nice pictures.

I always do.  After all, they were invited to Culm to fight the pagans by a Polish Duke and granted the right to keep the lands they conquered by the Pope.  The Poles and Lithuanians were just jealous haters.

Well, Ulrich von Jungingen was too quick to push the war button, indeed (he was a fool, his older brother, who was Grand Master before, even specifically stated in his will that he was NOT to be elected Grand Master), but the reasons behind the war were instigated more by the Poles and Lithuanians.

The Lithuanians were supporting a revolt in Samogitia, which had been given to the Teutonic Knights years before, and thus was an internal problem (so Lithuania should have stayed out of it).  Poland threw in their support to Lithuania, whose leader was now linked to the Polish court after his conversion.  Poland was also eager to reclaim Danzig/Gdansk....but seeing how the Teutonic Knights took Danzig from the Holy Roman Empire on the behalf of Poland with the intention of payment, it is not surprising that they decided to keep the city when Poland refused to pay and just wanted the Teutonic Knights to hand the city over.

So, despite the fact that modern thought sees Tannenberg/Grunwald as a great Polish/Lithuanian victory over an oppressive Germanic regime....the reality is that the Germanics were not evil in the battle's setting and should not have such a popularity amongst the Poles as some sort of anachronistic vengeance for 20th century events when the motives and reasons are gray all around.

Sorry, I feel strongly about the unfair bad rap the Teutonic Knights get regarding this battle and its reasons.

Is there a count for # Injured? I Imagine even with all that armor that people still get hurt... possibly badly.

in re-enactments in the UK, the average number of injured in big shows was around 1% to 5%, but that was back in the late 80's. I would expect it has gone down a bit, but not much.

most of the injuries were just bad bruises ( I did see one nasty black eye when someone got a spear tip stuck in the eyeslits of their helm, and another time I saw someone swing a shield and dislocate their shoulder, but that was from an old injury and apparently their left shoulder was always "popping out" )

Did you ever encountered mortal wound? I know that injuries happen normally in those types of re-enactment, even me and my friend got some bloody wounds with our wooden sticks. But did someone ever died in re-enactment? Just wondering.

LastRoman said:
Did you ever encountered mortal wound? I know that injuries happen normally in those types of re-enactment, even me and my friend got some bloody wounds with our wooden sticks. But did someone ever died in re-enactment? Just wondering.
They played the Roman Fool....

It's silly. I'll admit it takes bravery and endurance, but it's just the same **** SCA does, only with metal swords. Just flailing until only one stands. No stabbing, little grappling...

So yes, it's probably quite fun to do and watch for some people, but it's not like real battles.

which is why all you people who waste money on medieval should switch over to the world wars.  Napoleonic is cool too, and probably the one which transfers most easily to reenacting.

Merlkir said:
So yes, it's probably quite fun to do and watch for some people, but it's not like real battles.

The real question is; do you really want to be in 100% realistic battle?

Captain Pyjama Shark said:
which is why all you people who waste money on medieval should switch over to the world wars.  Napoleonic is cool too, and probably the one which transfers most easily to reenacting.

Hm, what kind of weapons do you use for reenacting, out of curiosity? Airsoft? Paintball? Something else?

Merlkir said:
It's silly. I'll admit it takes bravery and endurance, but it's just the same **** SCA does, only with metal swords. Just flailing until only one stands. No stabbing, little grappling...

it is great fun to do and watch, but it isn't "Just flailing until only one stands"
if it was there would be lots of fatalities.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Captain Pyjama Shark said:

Hm, what kind of weapons do you use for reenacting, out of curiosity? Airsoft? Paintball? Something else?
Airsoft reenactors, p-shaww.  (or however you say that)  But no way Jorge we use real weapons, we just fire blanks.

Me personally, I own a Steyr Mannlicher M95 for my reenacting.

Eh... I think I'll stick with airsoft, personally. While using real guns is legit, there is always that one son of a ***** that runs across the field, apparently clad in invisible Achilles armor, who just won't accept he's hit. Which is why with airsoft you can just light 'em up and leave him with a array of welts that looks like he has had the worst case of acne in history.

Back
Top Bottom