[REENACTMENT] GRUNWALD BATTLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Urlik said:
Merlkir said:
It's silly. I'll admit it takes bravery and endurance, but it's just the same **** SCA does, only with metal swords. Just flailing until only one stands. No stabbing, little grappling...

So yes, it's probably quite fun to do and watch for some people, but it's not like real battles.

it is great fun to do and watch, but it isn't "Just flailing until only one stands"
if it was there would be lots of fatalities.

it seems to me like that from all the russian/polish videos I've seen. Battles here are mostly different, most people go down if it seems your blow would seriously hurt them.

Yeah I was under the impression that it is "Fight until you fall on your ass" from those videos.

Merlkir said:
It's silly. I'll admit it takes bravery and endurance, but it's just the same **** SCA does, only with metal swords. Just flailing until only one stands. No stabbing, little grappling...

So yes, it's probably quite fun to do and watch for some people, but it's not like real battles.

SCA : no balanced and heavy weapon, not historical, fantastic background, etc.

2 things totally different.

Russian reenactment are not "how many blow you take",  you do not have HPs : it's a "outrance" fight. You fight till you feel as if you cannot continue the fight or if you fall, right (special troopers "coutilliers" were used to rush on falling knights to cut their throat)

locan said:
Merlkir said:

SCA : no balanced and heavy weapon, not historical, fantastic background, etc.

2 things totally different.

Russian reenactment are not "how many blow you take",  you do not have HPs : it's a "outrance" fight. You fight till you feel as if you cannot continue the fight or if you fall, right (special troopers "coutilliers" were used to rush on falling knights to cut their throat)

which is exactly what I said. The comparison to SCA was in regard to "techniques" used, or the style of fighting.

So... from my point of view ... it's the most "realistic" way to fight atm. The other solution is to kill your oponent. Not very nice.

locan said:
So... from my point of view ... it's the most "realistic" way to fight atm. The other solution is to kill your oponent. Not very nice.

It's about as realistic as boxing. There is no "other" solution. As there's MMA, there is WMA which focuses on ways which you can use to kill a guy with a sword without any rules.

Here you have some movies from Grunwald 2010:

You can see the camp, the market and some shortcuts from tournaments (long sword tournament and Martin's tournament), bohurt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9qbAkUCkc

In the second one there are shortcuts from battle preparation, entering the field and a battle itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvklTAWj84

Enjoy  :twisted:

As for the comments - this year there was 2000 man taking a part in the battle, about 6000 people in the camp and more than 200.000 spectators.
The battle is a show, so it is mostly a softplay, looking good from the distance. The tournaments and especially bouhurt are really hard.

Back
Top Bottom