Recruitment idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Danger Moose

Regular
What if recruiting from a village incurs a -1 relation penalty with that village, so that constantly showing up at the same place and running off with their sons would turn the older population against you. On top of that, maybe adding "press recruits" as a hostile action, giving you even more recruits for when you're desperate, but incurring a -5 relation penalty. Something to think about.

I like the pressgang idea and the resulting penalties, though perhaps a hit to your army's moral would be a bit better penalty. In a lot of lands there was some kind of millitary service required as a condition of living on a lords lands, and they all belonged to one lord or another, so hostilities wouldn't make sence for repeated visits to the same viliage. I could see a lord geting mad at your though for excesive use of his property. A productivity hit for the village could be some thing to consider as well.

I really like the idea of pressing troops, at a morale hit, although if you think about it, odds are you'd be doing it to enemy villages since it's a hostile action, so maybe it doesn't make sense in that way.

that should work in various ways... you shouldn't be able to press-gang people in hostile villages in the first place and when doing it at frienly villages you should get some relationship hit with their master or - if them villages are yours - some rep or honour or village cash hit

great idea btw

TBH I think you should be able to recruit more villagers at one time. The most I've ever been able to recruit is 6, so to build up a decent army you have to travel all over the place. The situation is especially bad if you're say, french, and you want to accurately reflect your army with lots of crossbows, because there are so few towns to recruit from.

Also it'd be nice to be able to choose how many troops you want to recruit incase you don't want 6, you want 5.

Danger Moose said:
What if recruiting from a village incurs a -1 relation penalty with that village, so that constantly showing up at the same place and running off with their sons would turn the older population against you. On top of that, maybe adding "press recruits" as a hostile action, giving you even more recruits for when you're desperate, but incurring a -5 relation penalty. Something to think about.

Great idea. I like it.

But surely and realistically some of the towns would be proud to send their own away to fight for their country.
If there should be a penalty, then perhaps only the towns that you dont own should not appreciate you taking their own away, but when you visit towns you own and want to take their own away, they don't mind.
I cant see why your army's morale should suffer when you recruit new people...perhaps if you recruit people from a different nation your army's morale should drop.
All together i basically oppose the fact that your army's or towns you visit morale should suffer when recruiting.
But adding a "press recruits" option might be alright, but i still think the rate at which you recruit troops is fine...

"Press" is like conscription. Rather than recruiting for volunteers, you essentially kidnap the men you need and "press" them into service. I'm not sure I've ever heard of conscription being done this way on land, but it was common in the 18th and 19th century for navies, especially the British Navy. A "Press Gang" would get you drunk, or find you in an alley, and knock you out. When you woke up you'd be on a ship and out to sea with no chance of escape.

You could have "conscript recruits" added to towns and villages you own perhaps?

Mooncabbage said:
"Press" is like conscription. Rather than recruiting for volunteers, you essentially kidnap the men you need and "press" them into service. I'm not sure I've ever heard of conscription being done this way on land, but it was common in the 18th and 19th century for navies, especially the British Navy. A "Press Gang" would get you drunk, or find you in an alley, and knock you out. When you woke up you'd be on a ship and out to sea with no chance of escape.

You could have "conscript recruits" added to towns and villages you own perhaps?

It was used in land, too. Mostly in the 17-18-19th century, with the appearance of regular armies, which had huge need for manpower. It was used at least in Habsburg territories. They were basically capturing young men under the term conscription, and if they caught you, you were most likely to spend the next 10-20 years in the army, or hunted for desertion.

Mooncabbage said:
TBH I think you should be able to recruit more villagers at one time. The most I've ever been able to recruit is 6, so to build up a decent army you have to travel all over the place. The situation is especially bad if you're say, french, and you want to accurately reflect your army with lots of crossbows, because there are so few towns to recruit from.

Also it'd be nice to be able to choose how many troops you want to recruit incase you don't want 6, you want 5.
Download MBtweak, you can edit how troops you recruit per visit from villages in that mod

Dont like the idea that recruitment automaticly should give negative hit.

Could maybe have a "force recruite" that give relation hit.

But asking should not give any negative hit. Can probably change the time you have to wait for re-recruiting.

About number of recruites are dependent on your relation.

I have 80-100 relation for one of my villages. There i get 0- ~20 recruits and ofter tire 2 recruits.

Mohamad said:
Mooncabbage said:

Download MBtweak, you can edit how troops you recruit per visit from villages in that mod

That part of TweakMB doesn't work with this mod.

18 years of service.

The best way to avoid this was to knock your two front teeth out so you couldn't open a cartridge and were deemed unfit for duty.

othr said:
18 years of service.

The best way to avoid this was to knock your two front teeth out so you couldn't open a cartridge and were deemed unfit for duty.

Can't bite much without your two front teeth, probably better off joining the army.

Mooncabbage said:
othr said:
18 years of service.

Can't bite much without your two front teeth, probably better off joining the army.

Yay, bite a bullet instead  :razz:

Ehh, I don't know about that.  This practice was very common actually.  Especially amongst those who didn't want to serve for political reasons.  Or I guess you would be 36 when they let out.  Probably too late to do anything with your life during those times, so 2 teeth or screwed for life!

Like those yeomen in the medieval period cutting of two of their fingers, as to prove they are unable to draw the bow and thus be excluded from mandatory military service.

Military service had few prospects prior to Napoleon, you couldn't really get promoted and there wasn't much you could do with your loot. I imagine people found a way to manage though, they always do.

while we are talking about imrpovements to recruitment I wonder if its possible to make it so that you dont have to recruit all the recruits on offer from a village. When im trying to keep a sustainable army I dont always want to have to recruit say 10+ more troops and suddenly find im over budget its kind of annoying when I only want about 4 or 5 to even things out.

Back
Top Bottom