Recruiting soldiers - Come on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Rust

Grandmaster Knight
I know you did a lot of nice work modelling and all, but I usually play with a large army behind me and there is no way I am going to load the scene and then try to find the godamn village elder hundreds upon hundreds of times to recruit the numbers I usually go through in MnB.

Is there a simple way I can fix this in the mod? because while it's a nice mod and all, there is just no way in hell I can cope with something so boring as the amount of loading and village elder hunting it currently requires.

This one simple thing, completely ruins the mod for me and i'm sure a lot of others will feel the exact way, there's really no point in forcing this on people.

That town Eldar thing is a bug. I forgot that you are able to recruit there too.
You are supposed to only be able to recruit troops at your own factions locations. To recruit US Infantry, you have to join the USA, etc... Unfortunatelly I forgot to put in this limitation into the village eldar dialog too. It's currently in the menu only.
Join a faction as a soldier (or as an officer) and you are able to recruit troops normally.
Swadian Man at Arms said:
What's your problem ? Performance ? Me too.
No, your problem is reading.

My problem is that waiting 10-20 seconds to enter the village screen, then riding to some guy and then asking him if i can kindly recruit 1-5 farmboys with the life expectancy of a wet rage, is NOT fun.

While models and items etc are important, they aren't nearly as important as gameplay mechanics, and while you have fantastic models, great items etc the only thing this mod has achieved so far, is to piss me off with loading screens, a laughably poorly balanced economic system and a map thats quite possibly the dullest i've seen so far.

Now every mod has a few bad problems, and the good could probably make up for it, but the recruiting rubbish really just ruins any hope for me, sorry.

Take it as an insult, take it as ideas for the next version, its up to you but I just tried recruiting a small force and I give up, it just sucks every inch of fun out of the game.

Highlander said:
That town Eldar thing is a bug. I forgot that you are able to recruit there too.
You are supposed to only be able to recruit troops at your own factions locations. To recruit US Infantry, you have to join the USA, etc... Unfortunatelly I forgot to put in this limitation into the village eldar dialog too. It's currently in the menu only.
Join a faction as a soldier (or as an officer) and you are able to recruit troops normally.

And if you dont want to join a faction?

Highlander said:

:mrgreen:

I can do nothing, I'm no english.

Edit: Hehe, I'm right that he have problems with performance. :neutral:

El-Diablito said:

Then recruit bandit or vigilante troops from hotels. Maybe you wont be able to field larger armies that easy but why they hell would a faction-less gunman have a line of US soldiers? If you're going to play a bandit/lawman type character you have to deal with the negatives too. On the upside, those troops (once tier'd up) become beastly.

Though I suppose being able to hire farmers and turn them into bandits/vigilantes would be nice.

El-Diablito said:
Then you are limited to recruiting gamblers and drunkards from taverns. You can't seriously think that any army would give away its expensive soldiers to random adventurers who don't even fight for them.

We appreciate criticism here, but if you don't start to do it in a more politely way, I will probably delete any of those unpolitely posts.
Besides, I advice you to stop playing the mod. As I warned anyone in the download thread, this is a Beta, a first version which often has its bugs and isn't balanced. And you seem to be someone who doesn't want to play mods at this stage.

I also have a problem with reqruiting.

I travel long distances and when i see "no one wants to join", i got crazy. When it happens twice, it annoys me further.

0 recruit happens a lot, (not related to party size full nor money). I think the min reqruit amount should be 1 not 0

Did a bit of tweaking using Magelord's guide as a guide (still sort of hard as the script is almost totally different looking from native's)

Find this in your scripts.txt
update_volunteer_troops_in_village -1
17 23 2 1224979098644774912 1 521 3 1224979098644774913 1224979098644774912 26 521 3 1224979098644774914 1224979098644774912 19 522 3 1224979098644774915 1224979098644774914 41 2133 2 1224979098644774916 7 4 0 30 2 1224979098644774913 5 2133 2 1224979098644774916 1224979098644774913 2108 2 1224979098644774916 2 2105 2 1224979098644774916 10 5 0 2147483678 2 1224979098644774913 0 2133 2 1224979098644774916 0 3 0 2136 3 1224979098644774917 0 1224979098644774916 501 3 1224979098644774912 222 1224979098644774915 501 3 1224979098644774912 223 1224979098644774917

-The red 0 is the minimum # of troops you can get in the village, change it to what you want (I'm doing 5)

-The yellow 7 is the maximum # (I'm doing 15)

That should help a bit.

And yes, I tested it.

El-Diablito said:
I know you did a lot of nice work modelling and all, but I usually play with a large army behind me and there is no way I am going to load the scene and then try to find the godamn village elder hundreds upon hundreds of times to recruit the numbers I usually go through in MnB.

Is there a simple way I can fix this in the mod? because while it's a nice mod and all, there is just no way in hell I can cope with something so boring as the amount of loading and village elder hunting it currently requires.

This one simple thing, completely ruins the mod for me and i'm sure a lot of others will feel the exact way, there's really no point in forcing this on people.

you gotta calm down, did you pay for this game? no you didn't, this is there mod and its in its beta stage so how about you go on outside and get a life =/ jeez, anyway i acutely like it the way it is, its really challenging having to get men but i do it by killing deserters who have prisoners or i join a faction and recruit them from the bases. and of course the hotels, it just takes a bit of time and its realistic which is the good thing.

Regards, Tarkz

Well, this thing increases your chances of stopping recruiting, and increases of becoming One man army gunslinger with no name

I'm thinking about starting a new game and making a party with only companions and doing merc work. Doing most of the fighting aiding other, larger parties.

FedoraMcQuaid said:
I'm thinking about starting a new game and making a party with only companions and doing merc work. Doing most of the fighting aiding other, larger parties.

That's a good way to go. Takes a lot of the risk out of the equation.

Highlander said:
Then you are limited to recruiting gamblers and drunkards from taverns.
From the saloons? I can recruit from hotels and such, but all the guys in the saloons want to do is to play blackjack. Is there a way to recruit them? Maybe someone could kindly explain to me how to hire them if possible?

Is it just me, or is it very expensive to have an army? I am constantly running out of money with only about 20 troops.

My problem with recruitment isn't the time it takes, but the fact that it's near-impossible to find a good amount of troops, and when you do, you have to be looting every single second of the game to keep up with the stupidly high wages.

Jenso said:
Is it just me, or is it very expensive to have an army? I am constantly running out of money with only about 20 troops.

Not just you. Most troops in the game have unrealistic wage costs (in the Civil War, a typical infantryman may get payed 5 dollars or so a month. In the game, a typical infantryman gets payed 2-3 dollars a week.)

Like I said, the problem with having a large army is that you run out of money, so instead of being able to enjoy the game, you have to be raiding enemy towns most of the game. If you don't have a large army, then you'll get wiped out every battle, so to enjoy the gameplay, you have to have a larger army. It's a paradox, and an extremely annoying one at that.

Back
Top Bottom