Rant

Users who are viewing this thread

nyarlathotep1975

Sergeant at Arms
It seems like TW solution to make the game more interesting and engaging is to randomize everything. Marriage, War, Quests w/e.
Your love interest says no? Well, ask her sister that is a 2 years older copy of herself. You made peace with a faction? Don´t worry, another one will declare war on you for for no reason real soon.
My Vassals voted on a complete useless policy that would harm them and tried to get rid of one that actually makes sure they don´t have to face a rebellion in their cities.
Horse Archers destroy armies that are 3 times their size without losses. What a challenge.
And how does that look on the world map?
Battania looses half it´s territory in less then a 100 days and pays every faction for the rest of the game to keep what is left. Some empire faction wins over another empire faction. Oh no, but i liked the pink ones more then the purple, even when they are the same.
Sturgia does loose only 2 fiefs and even got some new from Battania (surprise, actually something new).
Sounds familiar? Because every game is essentially the same. The things that happen random are not things the player want to happen random, where as the things that happen every game are the same due to a lack of balance and bad design.
I do not offer solutions, there are plenty to find on this forum. I just vent my anger and frustration over a game that has infinit potential and sees very little of it.

Everything you list is valid. Everything here indicates TW philosophy : " We can make a game that kind of seems good enough at first glance. The masses will buy it... because of the Mount and Blade name.... and then we will take the cash"

The design choices TW have made are absolutely APPALLING.

They actually indicate a total lack of design. The randomness which you refer to here is evidence of that. Randomness is evidence of a lack of both thought and depth. Honestly, I will NEVER buy another game made by Taleworlds.

And I trust most people here are smart enough not to either.

Last edited:
Sad, but i guess that is the only reasonable solution to a game that is only a platform for modders to have fun. What is valid, but i don´t pay for a full prized game when most of the work has to be done by people for free.

Sad, but i guess that is the only reasonable solution to a game that is only a platform for modders to have fun. What is valid, but i don´t pay for a full prized game when most of the work has to be done by people for free.
Ouch. I wouldn't play bannerlord without mods so your right.

i'm just flabbergasted the game is deemed ready for "release" in a couple of days..

the game can be real fun but looking past the first impressions it gets ugly. it is at best a $20 game.

The level of randomness and lack of player interaction, beyond clicking a couple of buttons once the AI decides you can, in almost every area of the game is what makes every campaign feel tedious before long.

"Hey, we are winning the war, let's split in 3 armies that the enemy can defeat one by one so we don't snowball!"
"Hey, I just saved before to marry you so you better be a critical success so I don't have to save scum to marry you in one day!"
"Hey, let's only do quests that force you to lose relation with someone to gain some with someone else!"
"Hey, let's vote to go to war with another faction while we are already losing a war so we don't snowball too fast!"
"Hey, let's farm 50 stacks of looters to gain enough renown to join a faction!"

Your "rant" is precisely on point. I think you nailed what the problem with bannerlord is. Nothing happens out of a reason. Everything happens because of RNG. There is no personality to this game, no character, no player agency and no story to be told.

Warband had some of the same problems to be sure. War and peace were handled pretty much the same way as they are now in Bannerlord. But somehow Bannerlord managed to make things even more random. In Warband at least you, as the player, had the ability to intervene in a certain way. You could go on a quest to make war or peace when you were just a lord. Your abiltiy to pull it off relying on your relationship with other lords in the realm. AFAIK none of that exists in BL (I haven't touched the game in half a year or so).

Somehow TW managed to make the single thing that Warband needed improving in and made it even worse.

As I think that Mods are an integral part of these types of games, the situation doesn't worry me too much. What I didn't forgive TW for was not allowing Modders a great deal of freedom to modify the game, I can't conceive of this game without Mods at all.

What I didn't forgive TW for was not allowing Modders a great deal of freedom to modify the game, I can't conceive of this game without Mods at all.

I'm not a modder but i understand through chatting with some of them that if there is anything to praise about the game it would be the tools and capabilities TW put in place for the modding community. I've come across some very impressive mods created by people who have never coded in their life before.

It's almost as if TW always intended for this game to be a shell upon which content would be created by others.

The irony is that they can't get a break and their mods get broken with every update and oftentimes due to the most silly reasons such as TW deciding to rename a random folder.

Although the game has left many Warband fans disappointed, me included, it's still unfair to say it's a "30 dollar game". Because it factually is not.

One of the problems I have with Bannerlord however is not mentionned here often... its sheer scale. The game dreams too big which exacerbates the existing problems. Seriously, I bet if the map was as big as Warband's or if it had way more independant factions it would be more enjoyable.

What I didn't forgive TW for was not allowing Modders a great deal of freedom to modify the game, I can't conceive of this game without Mods at all.
As far as I know, they listened to the demands of modders during Bloc's ragequit about a year ago, if that's what you're referring to. Mount&Blade has always been more moddable than most games, and Bannerlord is even more so thanks to the more modular modding system, which lets players to easily mix-and-match mods as they like. It was rather difficult to do so in Warband.

Although the game has left many Warband fans disappointed, me included, it's still unfair to say it's a "30 dollar game". Because it factually is not.

One of the problems I have with Bannerlord however is not mentionned here often... its sheer scale. The game dreams too big which exacerbates the existing problems. Seriously, I bet if the map was as big as Warband's or if it had way more independant factions it would be more enjoyable.
I think your right about the map to me it feels small and the game is lacking factions. I am happy we got mods but i don't think mods filling the hole is good thing.

Back
Top Bottom