Quick Questions/Quick Answers (Unofficial 'Ask Questions Here' Q&A Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

I'am trying to trade mine Very Rich city for his Rich city. I've also traded a fief with the lord about 2-4 weeks before ingame.

Is there any way to see some kind of battle stats during a combat? Like remaining friendly forces alive, remaining enemy forces alive? It's kinda annoying when you fight over 1000 bandits and you have no idea when the battle is nearing end.

Macranello said:
I'am trying to trade mine Very Rich city for his Rich city. I've also traded a fief with the lord about 2-4 weeks before ingame.
Try waiting a bit longer. I don't know how long the cooldown is but lords don't like swapping properties too quickly.

Damn. I'am just worried about my city getting Rich or just being recounquered. Fighing 5 nations almost alone is tough :smile:

I will try waiting a bit more and then will report here.

Tried to google for this, but couldn't find anything. So:
Do stat units (bishop, manhunters etc) boost your skills past 10? Warband wiki says that books wont, so i assume it's still the same in Floris for books.

For example if i would get 26 charisma, read a book for 27. Then get Leadership and Prisoner Management to 9, read books to boost those to 10 and then have a bishop in my party along with 40+ manhunters. Would this get me to 11 Leadership and 13 Prisoner Management?

How are sieges being fought in this mod? Even with equal numbers of defenders vs the attackers, the defenders are being slaughtered. How can you defend a castle or a town when there is no change of even successful defending a place?

Shinno said:
Is it possible to train starter units all the way to C7 with only trainer skill? How much level / trainer skill / time would that require aprox. ?
Possible? Probably, but unlikely and probably very time consuming. It seems that training any lvl7 troop takes a very long time, I have many high level (approx 30 and up) companions with high trainer skill but lvl6 to lvl7 upgrades are rare; I get most of mine by recruiting units captured with Slave Crushers. Remember also that you and your companions will only train troops who are a lower level than them.

Shinno said:
Is it possible to train starter units all the way to C7 with only trainer skill? How much level / trainer skill / time would that require aprox. ?
Possible, yes if you're high enough level. It's highly impractical though. It'd take several months in-game. They'd get faster exp by killing stuff, however it also increases the risk of their dying and thus wasting all that effort of leveling them up in the first place.

I don't even bother trying. I rescue some in combat sometimes but that's very unlikely. I usually stay with the T5/T6 troops.

Dathon said:
How are sieges being fought in this mod? Even with equal numbers of defenders vs the attackers, the defenders are being slaughtered. How can you defend a castle or a town when there is no change of even successful defending a place?
It isn't numbers but type/quality. You're wasting your time if you're trying to defend a castle with units that are mostly cavalry, and most infantry types are terrible at it too. And don't even bother if you only have rabble/bandits.

Archers are the kings of siege defense, especially crossbowmen who duck while reloading and thus inadvertently making them harder to hit and therefore able to survive longer.

This isn't an exhaustive list but here are some simple tricks you can do that generally work in most castle layouts.

0. Prior to combat, always make sure you have your units split up into multiple groups. Always. Do not just use the 3 basic groupings (infantry, archers, cavalry). You need to have multiple archer groups, multiple infantry groups, and multiple cavalry groups if you use them. It's up to you how to select what units go into what groups. You can have heavy infantry in one group and light infantry in another. You can have infantry with guaranteed shields in one, or infantry that have throwing weapons, etc. It's up to you like I said.

Doing this allows you to split the units up for the next steps.

1. Jam the ladders/ramps/gates with heavy/shielded infantry. I mean tell them to hold those spots. If the castle has multiple entry points, pay attention to which one is most used by the enemy then jam your units there. You can have another group guarding the other ones if the enemy even uses them.

You don't need a lot of infantry, or even very strong ones (though minimum of t4 is recommended). Shielded infantry will provide better survivability against arrows if it's an open ramp or gate that enemies can shoot into, but it isn't mandatory. Highly recommended units are the I6 Mercenaries (Landsknechte and Grosskomture), because they're easy to get and very very tough even without their shields. Other good units per faction (bang for buck or general performance; only important if you're like me and don't mix faction units):

Swadia: Piquier, Jock/Highlander
Vaegir: Plastun/Druzhinnik/Druzhinnik Veteran
Khergit: Yabagharu Morici
Nord: Any I4 and up.
Rhodok: Fante/Veterano/Capitano di Ventura
Sarranid: Al-Haqa, Tabardariyya (these guys are squishy but sometimes spawn with bows, adding a bit more firepower)

2. Set up archers all over especially in the parapets/ramparts overlooking the main ramp/ladder/gate.

3. Set up at least one strong group of archers further back but with a good view of the entrance points. Ideally these guys should be crossbowmen or A4+ archers. Units with strong throwing weapons (Nords) are also good for this. Why? These are your last line of defense, sorta. They'll support the infantry jammed up on the entrance points and just in case anybody breaks through the infantry, these guys can clean them up.

4. As a commander (if you are one), resist the temptation to put yourself in harm's way. I also recommend staying back with a good view of the walls and/or the battlefield. Use the F1 key (hold) to direct your troops to reinforce points that need them as they need them. You may need at least one infantry group in reserve to reinforce the heavy infantry if their numbers start to thin.

If you're a good archer and you have enough ammo and you can find a spot where you're least likely to get killed while still able to shoot at the ladders, only then is it okay to join in the battle. Otherwise don't fight on the front lines and don't stick your head out on the tower walls because you're likely to get headshot with an arrow.

You need to have dealt a lot of casualties first to be able to tab the siege. If you haven't dealt enough casualties the rest of the battle will be auto-calced and if you were outnumbered you might lose if you get knocked out.

Hanakoganei said:
Dathon said:
It isn't numbers but type/quality. You're wasting your time if you're trying to defend a castle with units that are mostly cavalry, and most infantry types are terrible at it too. And don't even bother if you only have rabble/bandits.

Archers are the kings of siege defense, especially crossbowmen who duck while reloading and thus inadvertently making them harder to hit and therefore able to survive longer.

Well, when i was a vassal of Swabia, when defending Dhirim with 800 troops vs 800 Kherit troops, the Kherit archers just massacred the Swabian troops. The defenders lost most troops even before the siege tower was near the walls and even then after the Kherit troops starting to get up the walls they simply slaughtered the defenders. In most sieges so far i have been it was very easy for attackers to take a castle with few losses compared to the amount of defenders killed. In native even 150 troops would be able to inflict heavy damage on a attacking force of 800 man before succumb, but in this mod you need at least two or three times the amount of defenders rather then the other way around.

"Quantity has a Quality of its own"

At some point quantity still matters, especially when that quantity consists out of archers which can attack without being attacked back. In such situations where the attacker has much more archers than the defender it is better to retreat to the courtyard or second wall if available.

Viluhe said:
Tried to google for this, but couldn't find anything. So:
Do stat units (bishop, manhunters etc) boost your skills past 10? Warband wiki says that books wont, so i assume it's still the same in Floris for books.

For example if i would get 26 charisma, read a book for 27. Then get Leadership and Prisoner Management to 9, read books to boost those to 10 and then have a bishop in my party along with 40+ manhunters. Would this get me to 11 Leadership and 13 Prisoner Management?

It would work with party skills but leadership and prisoner management aren't that so you're better off reading to 24 charisma reading leadership to 9 and then use the bishop to get to 10.
I'm running around with 5 priests that boost my lvl 8(+3) wound treatment to lvl 10(+4) which is the max.

Dathon said:
In native even 150 troops would be able to inflict heavy damage on a attacking force of 800 man before succumb, but in this mod you need at least two or three times the amount of defenders rather then the other way around.
In your example though it sounds like the Swadians didn't have enough archers, only proving my point.

Actually if you read what I said in the spoiler, it's the other way around for me. I can even upload a video as proof if you want. I can defend a siege with 150-180 troops or so against 2000+ troops if needed. These were tactics I adapted from Native too, which actually became easier in Floris due to the fair amount of diversity that Floris adds in terms of troop types.

Do the income from enterprises eventually stabilize?

My two dyeworks constantly fluctuate between either -800 or +400/500 (sadly -800 happens more often). My third enterprise, a tannery in Jelkala is more or less stable. But even when just asking about opening new enterprises in other cities all over the map I get weeks were everything is projected to have negative (-500 or worse) income, no matter the industry.

They don't seem to ever stabilize even in 1000+ day games I still got alot of negative income, it does seem to happen alot quicker with dyeworks than any other enterprise though. Seems like there's not enough demand or the business can't get the raw materials for the right price or simply a combination of both.

Right now I'm using this http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,213784.0.html (will need to start a new game to take effect/might want to raise the startup cost a bit to get closer to the normal costs/profits) and my income is around 300-700 each without the negatives, it just doesn't make sense to start a dyeworks in most cities.

It works like a charm so far but I've only used it for 1 game of 200ish days.

If you ignore bandits and let them roam free and leave hideouts untouched, they will attack and kill farmers/caravans so your stuff wont get bought, leading into smaller profits or even a loss. Well, that is how i believe it works anyway, not 100% sure if that is correct.

Viluhe said:
If you ignore bandits and let them roam free and leave hideouts untouched, they will attack and kill farmers/caravans so your stuff wont get bought, leading into smaller profits or even a loss. Well, that is how i believe it works anyway, not 100% sure if that is correct.

I don't think its the bandits.
If my dyeworks go into negative its all of them at the same time. Bandit activity is localized but would not affect all of Caladria

Apparently, you can cause a battle to get "stuck"
If you besiege a castle and your army consists of only archers, and you set them to "Hold position", the whole scenario might get stuck because the defenders stay in their spot and archers can't shoot cuz they have no line of sight of enemy.
http://i62.tinypic.com/6nqmp0.jpg
I wonder how to get out of this pickle without retreat.

Back
Top Bottom