Quick Questions/Quick Answers (Unofficial 'Ask Questions Here' Q&A Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lavalya said:
The only reason you're paying 10k to him is for him to stay in one place, so you can keep getting recruits from him.

then why does he also say you need too pay him 10,000 a month and that he would train your troops?

Though I didn't hire him to test out the actual effect, I have the impression it's a monthly fee. That's either from the in-game text or one of the posts in the forums.

i just encountered a named bandit, is there anything special about him other than he's in the middle of a host of other bandits and has a larger party?

jarlaxle1985 said:
Though I didn't hire him to test out the actual effect, I have the impression it's a monthly fee. That's either from the in-game text or one of the posts in the forums.

Yes, the text implies a monthly fee, but in my game it was a one time fee.

jarlaxle1985 said:
At any rate, are the Freelancer units any good? Does anybody use them extensively?

Not really sure if they are any better or worse than units of equivalent tiers. Choosing their gear is useful and its nice to have any army of guys wearing your house sigil thing. Ive trained them up as archers, but swadian self bowmen are quicker to train and seem to be better. Ive trained them up as spearmen wielding halberds, and they seem alright but they cant brace spears for whatever reason (not sure if ive worked out how to do that properly anyway).

Cant vouch for them as cavalry or swordsmen since ive not tried them out. Picking up 15 recruits every few days is generally worth it though I reckon, since my recruiters constantly die to bandit parties.

Picking their gear is pretty badass, more than compensates for their lower stats/cap of Tier 6. Loading your units up with hard hitting Blunt/Piercing weapons is pretty beastly.

The most fun I've had playing this game was as a "Mercenary Captain" using nothing but mercs and freelancers.

mkire said:
i just encountered a named bandit, is there anything special about him other than he's in the middle of a host of other bandits and has a larger party?

That is a bandit leader.  As you saw, he has a larger army than most other bandits and rallies other bandit parties around him.  If you ever catch them on their own, take advantage of the situation and wipe them out.  They can become an annoyance if left alone.

aNkh said:
Is it possible to not use the fancy textures in the Gameplay Pack, because its making ma game crash in the loading screen,
i think
The textures shouldn't be particularly onerous in the Gameplay version. Do you have "Load Textures on Demand" ticked?
Please see the FAQ on crashes and follow up, if need be, in the stickied Support thread.

Caba`drin said:
aNkh said:
Is it possible to not use the fancy textures in the Gameplay Pack, because its making ma game crash in the loading screen,
i think
The textures shouldn't be particularly onerous in the Gameplay version. Do you have "Load Textures on Demand" ticked?
Please see the FAQ on crashes and follow up, if need be, in the stickied Support thread.
My game stops at the "Loading textures" every time at the same spot and yes i have load textures on demand ticked.
i get no errors or anything it just stops and i have to use task manager to close the game. Could it me poopy ass computer?
Ram: 1GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T2050 1.60 GHz
Video card: Intel GMA 950
My computer is quite the stone but it has done the job so far. It is a laptop as well.

Double A said:
What exactly do the different levels of female prejudice entail, and do they have any impact whatsoever on a male PC (like companions or your wife)?
I'm not altogether sure myself--I've never investigated the code and there isn't a nice post in the 'About Diplomacy' thread about it like there are about the Diplo AI/Econ optional changes.

That said, I am 99.99% positive that they only effect how a female PC is treated, nothing more and nothing less.

aNkh said:
Caba`drin said:
aNkh said:
i think
My game stops at the "Loading textures" every time at the same spot and yes i have load textures on demand ticked.
i get no errors or anything it just stops and i have to use task manager to close the game. Could it me poopy ass computer?
My computer is quite the stone but it has done the job so far. It is a laptop as well.
Certainly could be, yes. You could try running it in Dx7 or turning down the texture quality, I suppose.

aNkh said:
Caba`drin said:
aNkh said:
i think
In my personal opinion you are in severe need of an upgrade. Even a cheap low-end computer now would be better than what you currently are using. In my Official opinion I'm thinking the same thing only I apologize for the slight bluntness In that sentence and mean no offence (although I never meant offence in the first place)

maybe it's just me, but the enemies in the arena can attack really fast: I block and try to swing, but they're already finished with their next attack and are hurting me. is this intended?

Double A said:
What exactly do the different levels of female prejudice entail, and do they have any impact whatsoever on a male PC (like companions or your wife)?

I think it has to do with how lords treat the female PC. At default levels you get a few lords that insult or say something nasty, and you can pick a fight with them after all. Then the whole 'no fiefs for you and never get a vassal offer'. If you disable it, it shouldn't matter so you'll be treated like a man basically. I imagine if you pick the other option, more lords will be mean. But I've never actually tried them out.

I have a chick with it on default, I was just wondering what would happen when I turned it up. You might think someone with more renown than everyone but the king would be more welcome in the country.

Anyway, what's with the armory? It has 13 red diplomat coat of plates and 13 mail hose in it. It also apparently has -600 denars and all the items are free.

mkire said:
maybe it's just me, but the enemies in the arena can attack really fast: I block and try to swing, but they're already finished with their next attack and are hurting me. is this intended?
Yes, this is intended as these opponents are much tougher than their native counterparts.  This is to offset your increased ability due to being able to choose your weapons.

Windyplains said:
mkire said:
Yes, this is intended as these opponents are much tougher than their native counterparts.  This is to offset your increased ability due to being able to choose your weapons.

Honestly my solution for them is to never get in a melee fight with them. it'd be more fun and interesting to me if i could afford to elect not using a lance in the arena, but with the super-arena opponents the only chance i have to win against them is to be lance-lady/man on their horse.

On a different note: I have companion complaints turned off and Jeramus (the doctor guy) just came out of the blue and said 'yo, life was good for a while, but it sucks following you around. I'm leaving.' Isn't turning off complains supposed to make them not able to do that?

Back
Top Bottom