Question: Why do modified deserts have a pink/purple shine to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wei.Xiadi

Knight at Arms
Every desert texture I make has a stupid pink and purple glow in game on one side, like it's a reflection off of the sun or something and it's really unappealing to the eye.  I was wondering if it was related to the files bump map, or lack of bump map rather.

if there was another reason i'd love to know - or better yet, an answer on how you 'fix' the error, since i've just been ignoring it for the last few weeks, but now it's driving me crazy.  It's tarnishing any desert texture I create. :sad:

Any help or feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Wei - Steve

Just a guess... Is it possible that you're talking about the repeating color scheme applied on terrain textures? There are brown, green and red parts and it's quite possible that these red parts look pink to you...

Anyway, giving us a screenshot might help.

That is what i'm talking about..anyway to change them? or..remove them. >.>

Here is a screenshot.

pink.jpg

I was actually wondering about this myself... But I was rather interested in modifying them to my needs. But sorry, no, I have no clue how to get rid of it. Could be basically everything... but a texture is most likely, I think.

Yeah its annoying.

it doesnt seem to be reserved just for desert tiles. I've noticed different colorations to other textures

Seems to be some kind of overlay programmed in to detract from the patterns which can develope from textures. A colored mip map which blankets the entire map / scenes if you will.

So the only thing you can do is try and blend these overlayed colours into the texture.  That's..awkward.

Deserts are not typically red! -sobs- and I'm to assume theres no way to find/or fix the error.  Well, i'm going to scan through every single dds file and try and locate if it is one of those files.  Its a shame tho if it isnt >.> my textures tarnished by some stupid overlay program lol.

I looked through every native file and I only saw 3 or so files that I either didnt understand what it was used for..OR thought it might be related.

Bogus and color picker = No idea where they get used..so..no idea if thats related to any displayed on the map.

Then I thought, maybe the colour is on the map icons dds file, since most visual objects are textured there...so I have a look at mapicons_b and I find a grid of colours on the far left corner.

The grid was a table of 6 colours and a large white square, the colours were, red, blue, yellow, green...white..and i forgot the rest.  Maybe thats got something to do with it..I have no idea.

Zaro, I know this. I, too, have arid textures and green parts in an otherwise totally dried out landscape look directly speaking totally crap. But from what I've seen the color pattern on the battle and the campaign map is the same.

Does this happen on all visual settings, or is it maybe because you're using DX9 with a graphic card that doesn't support it?

If there are people out there with hc computer *looks at zaro*  the-- ok, stupid point =/

Is it maybe because you have used a color scheme in your texture that makes some color combinations (in this case the pink) become amplified due to the map's render method?

And does this happen on flat lands or on bumpy ones only?

Terrain in M&B has a small amount of hardcoded vertex colouring to give it more variation. I'm pretty sure there is nothing you can do to change this. You'll just have to live with it. It's actually important to stop the terrain looking like a tile-o-fest.

Yoshiboy said:
Terrain in M&B has a small amount of hardcoded vertex colouring to give it more variation. I'm pretty sure there is nothing you can do to change this. You'll just have to live with it. It's actually important to stop the terrain looking like a tile-o-fest.

Just as I suspected.

LocNlol said:
Then how come it's not nearly as visible in native ? Is it because the base textures are darker ?  :eek:

Might be it. I did darker texture and those strange colours aren't so prominent now. But they still appear on the snow terrain and battle scene terrains.

Hey - anyone tried altering blend shader for terrains in mb.fx? As far as I know TLD team did it and they don't seem to have this issue any more...

Back
Top Bottom