Protest? What protest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Smoketh

Veteran
Here's a current example of the corporate media suppressing a news story in order for the government to not lose even more support for the wars. Corporate influence on media, politics, and politicians is rampant and more influential than your average voters. http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/node/345

The story contains links to other web pages if you want more info on the protest.

Oh, and here's the reddit link I found this at if you want to join that discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/eocwi/blackout_in_dc_pay_no_attention_to_those_veterans/

I think your blowing this out of proportion, many protests have been covered before and letting this one slide is understandable, at least in the case of the New York Times and such. Granted though the Washington Post and other local papers should have published something.

Good, I hope they get locked up for life, damn hippies. Stop protesting the war, and start supporting the troops. They're over there and chaining yourself to a fence isn't going to do a damn thing about it. War is an unfortunate fact of life, and some people just fail to understand this.

Bgfan said:
Good, I hope they get locked up for life, damn hippies. Stop protesting the war, and start supporting the troops. They're over there and chaining yourself to a fence isn't going to do a damn thing about it. War is an unfortunate fact of life, and some people just fail to understand this.

Are you serious? That anti-hippy rant seems a bit forced.

Bgfan said:

I didn't read the article, as I'm short on time, but I'd like to point out that supporting the war and supporting the troops are two very different things. Do not attempt to equate protesting a war to not supporting the troops.

Magorian Aximand said:
I didn't read the article, as I'm short on time, but I'd like to point out that supporting the war and supporting the troops are two very different things. Do not attempt to equate protesting a war to not supporting the troops.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the protests surrounding the Vietnam Conflict? To me, it seemed they were supporting neither the war nor the troops.

So you're saying that we should just let other countries think they can come in here and bomb us whenever they want? Because to me, that seems like an invitation to foreign countries to **** with us all they want.

Well, they'd be more effective if the media covered them, since it would influence voter opinion (edit: And ya know, just to inform people of news that isn't about celebrities). Especially considering who the protests consist of. But generally, I'd agree with you that most protests are worthless, namely the kind where you get a permit and stand on the sidewalk with catchy signs. Going in front of the Whitehouse and chaining yourself to the fence... well that's another story.

The press isn't obligated to print everything (or anything) that they don't feel is newsworthy. Celebrities sell. If you don't like it then make your own newspaper.

:neutral:

Do you really expect "the news" to cover every protest? If so, you may want to panic a bit, there's a college picket that happened a few days ago and I didn't see it on CNN.

Protests are a waste of time anyway. It's not like the politicians aren't aware of every aspect of public opinion. It's their job to figure out which group matters the most in their votes. You can't elect an ******* then be surprised he's a total ****.

I don't vote anymore, so it is hard to talk ****, (politicians do what they do and always have) but if we had more people voting then things like this might be changed. We have countless people complaining about the system that really have decided to have no part in that system. It can only be changed from the inside or from revolution. Revolution will never happen. You want to change the system, then use it.

Protests are just a bunch of jagoffs trying to act like their opinion matters. If the politicians had it their way, they'd pull a napoleon by firing a few shots into the crowd. But then they wouldn't get reelected, so they just wait it out and do what they've always done.

Bgfan said:
So you're saying that we should just let other countries think they can come in here and bomb us whenever they want? Because to me, that seems like an invitation to foreign countries to **** with us all they want.

1. Invade a foreign country, kill dozens of thousands and destroy every single building.
2. Get hit back and lose 2 buildings
3. Pretend the other guys are the terrorists
4. ???
5. **** you.

Yeah, I am expecting red or green for this. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom