Problems of Security Variable

Users who are viewing this thread

Perhaps Governors could have a daily % chance of auto-resolving issues that occur in the fiefs they administer?
Possible formula could be a base 1% chance with an increase of 0.20% per x days the issue is in the settlement, possibly capped at 10 or 12% chance of resolving the issue.

If the Governor could also receive a relation bonus and SP for completing the quests, this could solve many issues we see in the base game.
TBH, I think the governor or a delegated clan member should just do the issues that give -loyalty or security, all of them, no % chance. I don't like % chance in the game. I think that at the time the player has a fief, especially many fiefs, it is unreasonable to expect them to do the quests very often and also just a bad design to expect the player to keep doing the same quests period. The entire "clan" part of the game is seriously thirsting for some utility or value and have governors or delegates do the issues and take care of the area would go a long way to making it feel more like valid part of the game.

As it is your clan mates are just tiny, petty stat bonuses both as captains or governors and it really stands out as big fluffy-nothing feature the more you play through the game.

. However, there are quests that notables against each other and your governors handle these quests as well. So, your relation with notables increases for a while, but after a while, your relation with notables starts to decrease and even in your town you're not able to recruit.
I have not used that mod but that is a concern I have for governor/clan members doing issues. I think either it should be they do the serious -loyalty/security ones (which can destroy the town if not done sometimes) or have option between which other ones they do as it's not good to do all of them! Particularly, not helping the gangs is good if you own the town! Also to avoid the artisan versus merchant quests.

I'd be okay with those left solely to the player, but you clan mate should deal with the one thats if left un-done can lead to a rebellions.

TBH, I think the governor or a delegated clan member should just do the issues that give -loyalty or security, all of them, no % chance. I don't like % chance in the game. I think that at the time the player has a fief, especially many fiefs, it is unreasonable to expect them to do the quests very often and also just a bad design to expect the player to keep doing the same quests period. The entire "clan" part of the game is seriously thirsting for some utility or value and have governors or delegates do the issues and take care of the area would go a long way to making it feel more like valid part of the game.

As it is your clan mates are just tiny, petty stat bonuses both as captains or governors and it really stands out as big fluffy-nothing feature the more you play through the game.

I have not used that mod but that is a concern I have for governor/clan members doing issues. I think either it should be they do the serious -loyalty/security ones (which can destroy the town if not done sometimes) or have option between which other ones they do as it's not good to do all of them! Particularly, not helping the gangs is good if you own the town! Also to avoid the artisan versus merchant quests.

I'd be okay with those left solely to the player, but you clan mate should deal with the one thats if left un-done can lead to a rebellions.
I agree with the fact that as a king you should not be going around every village or town to solve the issues. You have people for this. A governor should handle local issues. As an addition some bigger issues could see a governor sending a messenger to you as king where you have the option to handle it yourself or delegate it to a clanmember.

i basically hope that there will be a bigger difference in player experience between the stages of the game.
Early game(building a clan)
mid game (joining a kingdom/ owning a fief)
endgame (being the ruler)

With different ways of interacting with the world in each stage. Early game is good as it is. (especially with freelancer)
Midgame is descent. But I would like to see a bit more options to influence voting besides spending influence. It would be welcome if you can influence nobles directly to change their vote.
Engame is lacking. Your experience as a king does not change much from midgame, just on a bigger scale. A throne room + ministers is one of the ways to flesh this section of the game out. The ability to create a custom kingdom culture or custom troop tree or only a custom noble tree, would be a good reason to work to become the ruler.

As a bonus: a costum unit and buying votes would be a good money sinks

Back to the OP topic

That's the nature of Radiant quests in all games, but I do agree with your idea that quests should evolve as the player progresses in prestige and rank. Like in original M&B lords didn't expect you to deliver letters after a certain point.

We come to a point where need issues to affect settlements and fiefs, but want the nature of those issues to evolve past fetch quests to reflect our status in the game.

We could have different markers to identify the nature of quests
Blue - Trivial
Orange - Urgent
Red - Emergency

Orange and Red quests are more complex and impact the security of the settlement immensely (Bandit armies, Famine, Disease, etc)

Governors and AI could auto-resolve Blue or Orange quests, but Red quests would require player intervention.

I have an idea that might be fun enough without being too complex. You know how towns usually have two gang leaders? If there are two, then they will compete and lower security. The closer their influence levels are, the more it lowers security. Its effect on security is an inverse of the difference between their influence level. You can then expand on this by making gang war quests or spawning a new gang leader like a year after the last one dies.
Your idea is interesting and not really difficult to implement => A simple comparison between each gang power resulting in an effect on town security.
Actually the "Rival gang moving in town" is close to what you are suggesting, it gives a bonus to power level of the winning side.
Fighting the thugs in town is also effecting the power => power calculation is also based on owned common areas.
Gang leader mechanic definitely needs some love, needs to be more impactful.
Governors Handle Issues is the mod you've mentioned. I used to use this mod but it has a conflict. When you use this mod your governors sort out all quest for you with notables. However, there are quests that notables against each other and your governors handle these quests as well. So, your relation with notables increases for a while, but after a while, your relation with notables starts to decrease and even in your town you're not able to recruit. It'll be great to have an option to choose which type of quest can governors handle.
@RichardtheCat
Thanks. I didn't know about that side effect.
@StaceMcGate proposal could be one solution.

Last edited:

The notables in town or village are supporting different clans. You can see it in their details. Maybe after we capture the settlement we can ask the notables to support our clan? If they don't accept your offer maybe we can try to replace them with notables who are willing to support us.

Now, in the game If you fight against gangs in town and capture and keep their territory, they are losing their power. I didn't manage to complete this but I guess we can force them to leave the town. Seeing these kinds of details in the game is really make sense from RP pov.

The notables in town or village are supporting different clans. You can see it in their details. Maybe after we capture the settlement we can ask the notables to support our clan? If they don't accept your offer maybe we can try to replace them with notables who are willing to support us.

Now, in the game If you fight against gangs in town and capture and keep their territory, they are losing their power. I didn't manage to complete this but I guess we can force them to leave the town. Seeing these kinds of details in the game is really make sense from RP pov.
Having a high relation (not sure about the exact value, maybe +75) with a notable will make him supporter of your clan, giving a +0,5 to loyalty.
it is not impossible to reach but it takes some times (governor and emissaries can help on improving relation too, but it got nerfed though).

Having a high relation (not sure about the exact value, maybe +75) with a notable will make him supporter of your clan, giving a +0,5 to loyalty.
it is not impossible to reach but it takes some times (governor and emissaries can help on improving relation too, but it got nerfed though).
Thanks for letting me know. It sounds good to have these kinds of effects/changes.

Did some of this make it into the hotfix today?
  • The security value of a settlement is now affected by nearby hideouts. And if the settlement has any bounded villages, the raids of those villages affect the security value (previously, raided villages affected the loyalty value). Also, the effect of Prosperity on the Security value is now listed as a tooltip.

Back
Top Bottom