Possible Tweaks To Gameplay

Users who are viewing this thread

Emir Jaurus

Sergeant
Hey everyone, okay so this is my first post ever so it may sound kind of strange but here I go. First of all I'm a huge fan of Warband, I absolutely love it, but as I play it I always imagine adding additional content. These ideas are merely suggestions and not all (in fact perhaps none) should be used. So here's the list I came up with....

1)Bigger Armies
This does NOT mean increase the party size. I am actually referring to having additional parties of say around 20 troops each that follow you around when on campaign. To get the parties you have to talk to your minister (or perhaps a general that stayed at your castle and was in charge of the state of the army). NOTE: this will cause problems if you don't own a castle or you are only a Count, Emir, Lord, etc....  anyway, the parties would be lower tier troop types so you couldn't have an army of Swadian Knights, and it would be expensive to obtain several battalions.
Most of you will say its a dumb idea (and it probably is) but the reason for it was that during the Middle Ages, kings and stuff didn't go into battle with only 100-300 troops (I know that if it's an entire army of all the Counts, the troops add up to over 1000) . But hey, it's just a thought :smile:

2)Gladiators
I know this sounds gory, but instead of selling those prisoners to the Ransom Broker, why not put them in the arena and have them fight with real weapons not wooden ones. It would increase your relation with the city you are in and the surrounding villages (i.e. the farmers come watch). Also since during the gladiator shows in Rome people bet on the participants why not have a random generator that places small amounts of denars on the combatants. The money bet on gladiators that lost was given to you!!! Also maybe you could watch from the balcony with the tournament master( by talking to him you could change the amount of troops and types in the rounds). If this was put into a mod it could also change other areas of the game, i.e. add another type of party that travels on the world map...Slavers...they would wander around like man-hunters, and attack looters, bandits, and deserters. The majority of their weapons would be blunt and upon capturing enemies, the Slavers would head toward a city and sell their prisoners. If they came to your city you would have the option of BUYING or ignoring them. Would be cool... :smile:

3)Animals
This has been suggested several times I know, but wouldn't that be cool to have herds of sheep or other animals to raise. And maybe lions, tigers, bears, wolves, rhinos, etc... could be used in the gladiator arena =D.

4)Wandering Hero's
This does not apply to the companions you find in taverns. Instead I mean new hero's who can't die (only knocked unconscious). They would not be at taverns, but instead wander around the world map.... for instance perhaps a forest bandit hero, in charge of several longbow man (kind of like Robin Hood :grin: ) who stays mainly in the forest territories of the Swadians and Rhodaks and attacks parties without much troops. And if he is defeated in battle (but escapes) he will slowly recruit more troops, and go back to terrorizing the countryside. However, if he is captured, you might want to lock him up in a castle dungeon to stop him from attacking your farmers. Okay, so I pointed out a possible bad guy, this doesn't all would be bad, I mean some good ones would be nice to have.

5)Wandering Nomads
Basically they would be just farmers and “ranchers” with livestock that roamed the countryside looking for greener pastures...lol

6)More Bandits
Most of you probably get annoyed by all the bandits (and with good reason), but I think it would be cool to have more types i.e. pirates-(like unto sea raiders just along the coast everywhere), outlaws-(self explanatory, but probably like forest bandits {most outlaws at that time lived in the forests} just with more “Robin Hood” looking clothing) and there are endless possibilities.

7)Rebellions
Again a bit self explanatory. Led by a hero (like a wandering hero) but would raid villages, siege castles, and siege cities. Upon taking a castle/city they would declare independence as a new faction (exactly like what you do, only the leader of the mob would be king). A nice touch I think!!

:cool:Changing of Seasons
i.e. spring, summer, autumn, and winter.....DUH...lol. So in the winter months snow would began to fall (excluding the desert), in spring the snow would melt, in summer it would be hot, and in the fall the leaves would change color

9)Marriage
I'm not sure about you but I get tired of marrying royalty. As one of my characters I'm a desert bandit kind of guy and I just recently became a mercenary for the Sarrinads. However there is no way I could possibly marry into royalty. I actually would like to marry just a regular peasant girl from a village, or a townswomen from a city. If I did marry a villager the relation with that village would increase drastically. Also maybe changing the facial appearance of your wife would be nice.

So those are a few ideas that come to mind. Most of these are pretty weird suggestions but anyway, that's all I have time to write now. More suggestions will come =D

1. Maybe
2. Fun
3. Maybe
4. Fun
5. Pointless, unless they sold stuff like villages
6. Already a ****load of bandits near vaegir north
7. No
8. Boring, each kingdom has its own season
9. Nuh. Changing the facial appearance of your wife? Are you suggesting plastic surgery?

thanks for the input..... glad you liked 2 and 4. as for the others, i did say they were suggestions. #5 was mainly a realistic touch (i like games with realism, not the pointless Hack&Slash Blood&Guts kind of thing {i'm not saying that Warband is}. for #6 i did clarify that quote, "most of you get annoyed by all the bandits" and by more bandits, i meant more TYPES of bandits (another touch of realism). Rebellions, i see why not, unless you're the kind of person that only wants constant fighting with enemy lords and not to be troubled by your own people. #8 just another realistic touch to draw you more into the game. #9, i'm not sure if you know this but technically you can use plastic surgery on yourself during the game (pop up the character tab, and click on your picture). the reason for changing your wife's face was mainly her looks (several people have said that all the girls were ugly). also the main point of #9 was the ability to marry a commoner. anyway thanks for commenting on my post :smile:

also please refrain from using offensive language while commenting/posting on forums

1) Dunno.
2) Maybe if you were caught by a lord you could have the option to either a)Wait to get out or pay your own way out. or b)Fight as a gladiator and Earn your  way out.
3) I agree more animals for herding and maybe if you have a large army you'll just be travelling when BAM one of them get's eaten by a lion. (not lol)
4) Great Idea, would be good.
5) Easy Bandit fodder, so they would atleast need 20-50 people with them and average weapons (swords, maces instead of clubs and scythes)
6) Would be good to have more bandits types, also more parties but less numbers.
7) Lords should be also allowed to rebel against kings and take there own lands, although it would get a bit annoying if there where like >9000 rebellion factions so there should only be one for each kingdom or something.
:cool: THAT IS ACTUALLY THE BEST ****ING IDEA WANTED TO SEE THAT FOREVER! And in summer if you travel to much in he desert your men get knocked unconscious from heat stroke. Like it has no repercussions except for the fact that you won't have as many men to fight with.
9) Don't agree with the changing the face, but it would be nice to see Peasantry getting there fair share of the Lordly Hunk (lol) and maybe that would give you the option to stay in that village free of charge. Also if your a vassal to a kingdom the lords wil give you **** about it kind of like if you start a faction and give certain Companions land they start going on about.

-SwadianGrunt

Emir Jaurus said:
thanks for the input..... glad you liked 2 and 4. as for the others, i did say they were suggestions. #5 was mainly a realistic touch (i like games with realism, not the pointless Hack&Slash Blood&Guts kind of thing {i'm not saying that Warband is}. for #6 i did clarify that quote, "most of you get annoyed by all the bandits" and by more bandits, i meant more TYPES of bandits (another touch of realism). Rebellions, i see why not, unless you're the kind of person that only wants constant fighting with enemy lords and not to be troubled by your own people. #8 just another realistic touch to draw you more into the game. #9, i'm not sure if you know this but technically you can use plastic surgery on yourself during the game (pop up the character tab, and click on your picture). the reason for changing your wife's face was mainly her looks (several people have said that all the girls were ugly). also the main point of #9 was the ability to marry a commoner. anyway thanks for commenting on my post :smile:

also please refrain from using offensive language while commenting/posting on forums

People do it to me, I do it back, fool.

Number four is a great idea, I had once speculated on mercenary groups already in existance that you could join with a hero at their head, reducing you to a companion status.

More bandit types would be much more interesting, I could finally create the ultumate looting army.

Rebellions would be something I would like to see, the claim holders should not just wait around for you.

The changing of seasons would be helpful, since as of now I never bother to look at the date. More realistic weather would also be nice.

Number nine is something I would support. As it is now, the wives do not do too much, I would wager because of their sheltered lives, but it would be nice to have a common wife who is not afraid to get her hands dirty/bloody.

Exellent suggestions, Emir Jarus. Four, six, seven, and nine are the ones I support most, but they are all well thought out.

1)Bigger Armies
Why not, the npc-kings often have armys of 300-400 men, so i guess if one aspires to be king one's army should be larger too and your idea also has a solution to the problem of moral and food dropping to zero within a few days with that many troops.

2)Gladiators
That sounds cool, but why do you want new slavers - the manhunters could get the job done just aswell if they got tweaked a little (in the current version they only have tier-1 manhunters in their parties and all they do with their prisoners is carry them about untill they eventually get defeated).

3)Animals
i dont know, definately needs some more working on.

4)Wandering Hero's
I very much like the idea
- bandit chiefs who not only attack farmers and caravans, but also raid villages and recruit new bandits to their ranks (also this would finally give the headhunting-quest for the troublesome bandits a face!)
- mercenary captains or factionless men of noble birth who would give their sword to whoever can afford them. they'd mainly recruit their forces from the mercenary-tree (needs improvemt) and follow the ordesr of the player or the lord who hired them.

5)Wandering Nomads
i dont quite see the use in this, but i cant really think of anything speaking against it also

6)More Bandits
sure, one type for each kingdom + looters & (quest-)bandits is not enough (or that they only come in one tier).

7)Rebellions
i would prefer rebellions only being started by lords of the faction and only if there are enough other lords to support their cause. also, as TheCleverPeasant noted, claimholders should try to take the throne without ones help if they believe the time right (meaning some lords would support their cause)

:cool:Changing of Seasons
definately something id support - not only could this affect the weather during battle and the graphics of the map, but also make some paths not available during a certain season (too heavy snowfall blocking it or rainy weather flooding the bridges/fords) or like SwadianGrunt suggested cause heat stroke or frost bite in very strongly affected areas (mainly sarranid desert in summer / vaegir tundra in winter) thus limiting ones fighting capabilities. it further more could reduce/increase the harvest income (making a village poorer/richer and offering less/more recruits)

9)Marriage
i dont see the advantage in marrying a woman/man of low birth, but id like my wife to fight alongside me (i usually marry the ones, that like to ride and hunt, but they are just as boring as the lady-like ones), but id be sad if that was only possible for plebeian wifes.

Back
Top Bottom