Possible to make factional uniform colors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Momaw

Knight
I''ve wished for pretty much forever for a way to tell friend from foe on the battlefield aside from leaving labels on, which is ugly.  Having heraldry on shields helps a little, but not enough to turn off labels completely since all troops wear the same type of ARMOR, making friend and foe look alike unless they angle their shield the right way for you to read  (assuming you remember the heraldry of all parties involved).

To me the best way to solve this would be to make every soldier wear their faction color in a conspicuous place, like a sash around their torso.  This has to be dynamically adjusted: you can't simple make all Vaegir troops wear "armor with green sash", since other factions can recruit their troops, which would quickly land us back in the realm of not being able to identify anybody.

Just a thought.

Well the simplest way would be to give all troops heraldric armors, but that'd get boring really quick, plus you'd have to remember your allies' coats of arms. :razz:
I suppose you could do it 'properly', but you'd have to remake and remap all the textures.

Factional uniforms would be inappropriate for the game, as that would indicate an army owned by some sort of central government. Having the heraldry of each lord somewhere else than on the shield of each soldier would be appropriate, though. Something like the mail armour with the heraldic surcoat, but on every guy.

I modded Native so every tier 5 troop type had the heraldric armor, so I could diferentiate them on the battlefield.  Worked pretty nice.  I also made it so they had no default weapons or helmets, so I could choose what they would use (all pretty basic stuff).  A charge of 30 Swadian Knights with heraldric armor, matching helmets and horses, using polearms looks pretty sweet :smile:

I looked into making a colored sash for troopers to use depending on faction (including the troops from my player faction troop tree) but I don't think anyone really has a handle on how to mod the heraldric armor yet.

I use only Rhodok troops, and dress my NPC's in armor used by the Rhodoks.  It's quite easy for me to tell Rhodok from non-Rhodok this way, except in the rare fight against deserters.

I can fairly easily tell my troops from the enemies, since they are all from a single faction and many of them carry my heraldry. I think they're distinct enough.

I think it'd be cool if lowest tier troops just wear drabby garb, medium tier troops with the lord's colours, but not with the actual heraldry, the Elite troops the colours and a smaller version of the heraldry, and only the lords themselves the full heraldic shebang.

Eluqqa said:
I can fairly easily tell my troops from the enemies, since they are all from a single faction and many of them carry my heraldry. I think they're distinct enough.
It becomes a huge pain in the ass when you begin a civil war, though. :razz:

FrisianDude said:
I think it'd be cool if lowest tier troops just wear drabby garb, medium tier troops with the lord's colours, but not with the actual heraldry, the Elite troops the colours and a smaller version of the heraldry, and only the lords themselves the full heraldic shebang.
Mmm, I like that idea. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom