Poll: Current Troop Assignment

Do you think the current Troop Assignment System is working?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I voted yes.

It works but it could be better.

For quickly setting up it's better than the old system, it's just for specific purposes that it's worse now.

Being able to group companions and specific troops into their own unit before the battle screen would pretty much solve all my issues with it.

Aside from maybe also how weirdly finicky resizing or angling some formations is - like square and skein.

I voted no.

Personally, I don't like the new system at all.
A mix of what was done before (creation of units on the "army" tab) and modifications of 1.7.0 (pre-battle map with assignment of captains) would be perfect for me.

By any chance, is there already a mod doing that ?

The old way of assigning troops and creating formations was much better, but the slowdown for giving orders and being able to assign formation leaders are big improvements.

Perfect world would be if there was an option to pause while giving orders (maybe a slider going from full pause to full speed), the unit assignment UI was a less clunky version of the old way (keeping the precision but streamlining the interface), and the rest was pretty much the same as it is now.

I voted no, but there are things i like about the system and i am excited to see improvements to it.

I like that i can set orders before the battle starts, like dismounting cav in village battles. setting groups into formations.
I think the slider functions have good potentional but need more tags (like 2 handed, light armour, etc.)
Choosing captains is also a fun mechanic and makes building companions much more interesting.

Now to the critisicm.
The biggest issue for me has been when reinforcments come in. every thing turns into a mishmash of different units because the reinforcments just spawn into the default groups. for example if you set ranged units to formation 4 in the OoB phase, when the reinforcments spawn ranged troops, they will be assigned to formation 2 even if that formation card has assigned preference to infantry with Throwing weapon.

The troop assignment you do in OoB needs to be "stricter" in a sense. As in: if you tag a formation with throwing weapons ONLY units with throwing weapons will spawn in that formation.

I think a solution would be if TW would do away with the preference system and let the player assign troops strictly to a certain formation card instead and have reinforcments adhere to those assignments.

In the 1980s I played a excellent Napoleonic game called "Waterloo" by Dr Peter Turcan. The Graphics were really basic ..but the game play was fantastic - very addictive. The ordering system was the best. You play Napoleon and write orders to your Corps commanders, like

"D-erlon, form an attack line from 1/2 mile south of Hougoumont to the west flank" etc and game then carried out your orders. Very realistic.

The coding has already been done, wonder if the good doctor might allow a modder to add it to Bannerlord ? or maybe TW could develop their own simple version ? ... LOL !!!!

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be one or the other, the new system is well done except for the fact that you're not allowed to assign individual troops/units into different formations. If they can fix that it'll be ideal or as close to it.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, the new system is well done except for the fact that you're not allowed to assign individual troops/units into different formations. If they can fix that it'll be ideal or as close to it.
But this shouldn't had been an issue to be fixed though. It's a no brainer that this should had been part of the system from the get go as it's part of the core premise of having such a system, and the fact that it isn't makes the whole thing and its implementation seem half-assed at best.

Back
Top Bottom