[Playstation Move]:...if added to M&B...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Surfing on the net I found this video about a new Sony device that seems to come out this fall ...

look at this video and think if something like that will come out for M&B
http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/playstation-move-analisi-lag_0

Here it's a little bit longer video but it is good for understand how it works out this new device
http://dailymotion.virgilio.it/video/xd7l7h_playstation-move-games-trailer_videogames

What do you think about it ?

ciauz ^ ^,
Jab

I think it would be possible to implement something like that in a kind of mod.
The "only" thing you would need is beeing able to plug the camera and the stuff it needs in your pc, then write a program which makes out of the movement informations of this sticks (or what ever) similar ones to the information the game would get from the mouse and there you go.

how do you hear about Playstation move but not Wii?! or more importantly, how do you hear about Move and not Kinect?! my brain is full of hurt.

Actually, someone did make a driver to use wiimotes on a PC, and used a macro program to direct the input. I think the program used was glovepie, but I'm not sure.

I can honestly say, I think M&B would be great on consoles.. despite all the PC resistance. I don't know how much i'd actually use wii or PS Move functions if they were there. Definately be a workout though  :eek:

I play MP and SP with my PS3 controller and it runs great. Can really get good slashes and stabs down with those double joysticks  :twisted:

I don't see no problem with porting it to the consoles either. It wouldn't be profitable due to it still not being as hugely advertised as the console giants. But make left analog stick move you, right analog stick for blocking and attacking. A/X would attack, B/O would block. X/Square would use, Y/Triangle would jump. The bumpers would be used for changing weapons/shields. One would toggle first/third person. The other would zoom. The directional pads, I haven't got a clue what they would do. Scoreboard? Drop? Look behind you?

Quite simple.

The problem for M&B with analog controllers for changing camera position is the same as it is with console shooters; it just isn't quick enough compared to a mouse. That's why games like Red Dead Redemption need those auto targeting modes. Imagine trying to slash a guy on one side of your horse as you ride by and then rapidly looking to the other side to attack the next enemy. You wouldn't be able to move the camera in time; you can't fight at the same speed that you can with a mouse.

The move seems the closest to having the right kind of motions needed for some really awesome sword play. When you watch the sorcery video and how they char moves around, if that wand was actually a sword, would allow some really interesting attacks, though honestly I don't think the move can detect stuff fast enough. As with any motion control scheme they have going now a days, the problem is that there is no 'weight' to your movements. It makes everything feel wrong, and honestly is better more often than not just using a controller.

Anyway, as I'll maintain, many a good interfaces for games are **** for the pc due to console coming first. The mouse is always just an afterthought in most, and you often how to plow through a mountain of menus to get places instead of having a hot key pop it right open, not to mention how you move things around, the tend to be less drag and drop style stuff and more select and click things which sometimes are just non-intuitive.

DanAngleland said:
The problem for M&B with analog controllers for changing camera position is the same as it is with console shooters; it just isn't quick enough compared to a mouse. That's why games like Red Dead Redemption need those auto targeting modes. Imagine trying to slash a guy on one side of your horse as you ride by and then rapidly looking to the other side to attack the next enemy. You wouldn't be able to move the camera in time; you can't fight at the same speed that you can with a mouse.

I had this problem with my ps3 controller at first. After some tweaking, I can simulate the right joystick to function as mouse ball and with some playing w/ sensitivity I got my stab/shoot accuracy fully back if not better.

Find it way better now over mouse because of the smooth combo of movement/aim with the 2 joysticks(like an fps) that i can't seem to get with keyboard/mouse combo. Seems alot more comfort when you can ease back in a chair when you play too, especially for those long battles  :lol:

Ekardt said:
how do you hear about Playstation move but not Wii?! or more importantly, how do you hear about Move and not Kinect?! my brain is full of hurt.

Considering that kinect is only a gimmick specifically aimed to offer simple no-involvment games for casual players and families, while Move is marketed more towards core gamers, I'm not one bit surprised.

The wiimote, even with the motion plus, lacks the precision to simulate swordfighting as well as the Move seems to be able to.

I doubt the Move will be any more precise, since it would bloat the price of controllers too much. Unless Sony wants to absorb that along with the money they'll lose on their next console at launch.

Move looked pretty stinking good.  I can envision epic times with that!  (Unlike the WiiMotes, which suck balls)

guilemaster said:
Nintendo had the Wii motion plus  (not the wii remote) a long time before they ever had this announced. Sony's move thing is poor attempt to hop on the bandwagon.

Do I need to remind you what's the first motion controller released this generation? It's named Sixaxis :grin:

MadocComadrin said:
I doubt the Move will be any more precise, since it would bloat the price of controllers too much. Unless Sony wants to absorb that along with the money they'll lose on their next console at launch.

Actually  from what I've seen it's pretty damn precise, much more precise than the wiimotion plus. The sorcery demo at E3 followed the movement of the wand in an extremely precise way, same for the table tennis demo I saw, it was definitely quite amazing.

That's because Move combines camera tracking with gyroscope technology. By combining the two it can achieve near perfect precision.

Abriael said:
guilemaster said:
Nintendo had the Wii motion plus  (not the wii remote) a long time before they ever had this announced. Sony's move thing is poor attempt to hop on the bandwagon.

Do I need to remind you what's the first motion controller released this generation? It's named Sixaxis :grin:

MadocComadrin said:

Actually  from what I've seen it's pretty damn precise, much more precise than the wiimotion plus. The sorcery demo at E3 followed the movement of the wand in an extremely precise way, same for the table tennis demo I saw, it was definitely quite amazing.

That's because Move combines camera tracking with gyroscope technology. By combining the two it can achieve near perfect precision.

Sixaxis was announced AFTER the Wii's motion control, and was viewed as a half-baked attempt to jump on the bandwagon. It basically used the same, but beefed up, tech as Kirby Tilt'n'Tumble (Game Boy Color).

Second, those are demos. Since they are meant to show off the controller, they have their motion control optimized and since there is barely any other content, the programmers didn't have to work on other game play mechanics, balance, mapping, immersion, story, etc... all the other things that make games good. The Wii's demos showed the same promise.

Third, the Wii combines infrared tracking (triangulation) with gyroscope and accelerometer technology. That can get the same amount of precision, if not more efficiently than the Move's Glowing Bulb. The only thing it can't  do is capture video data, which isn't used by the Move itself, but just the Eye. Nintendo could, however, develop a camera accessory as well to even the field.

Finally, the Move and the Eye are not standard peripherals, thus lowering the available demographic available for developers wishing to use the technology. This means less profit potential, which means less incentive to use the technology, which means less quantity demanded for the tech itself at supply-demand equilibrium.

The only way Sony could succeed with motion is by releasing a new console; however, Nintendo, who has turned a massive profit (tripled stocks anyone?) could develop something to equal or surpass Sony's attempt. So it's a risky move.

Edit: Also, that glowing bulb looks stupid; it makes the controller look like a sex-toy for clowns  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom