Pathetic Campaign Map AI (v1.2.3)

Users who are viewing this thread

This has nothing to do with AI's battle performance. That's another subject needs to be fixed. This is about how are armies programmed to behave in the campaign map. They might not wanna fight my army because of strength comparison but this doesn't mean they should ignore it and go for a kamikaze attack. There is literally no reason to justify this nonsense.
Okay but you read this:
They must siege or raid or attack a smaller powered party. They can't pull in all their armies and parties to gang up on you proactively.
They do not have any option to do other things. They only know if they have more or less power for auto calc battle. They could improve the game by making the AI have more options and not depend on just checking power (this is also how they choose siege targets) but there's zero indication in 3 years that TW wants to move away from this simple AI. Their main concern has been trying to make the map not paint itself too fast while the player is farting around.

I don't know if there is anything need be said. These two videos will show you what kind of joke is the Bannerlord Campaign AI.

----------------------------------------------[UPDATE]----------------------------------------------------------

Here's another one. This might be even worse. AI army being chased by a similar strength army but gives no f*** and goes directly for a kamikaze siege.

One of the best examples of kamikaze siege. Exploit this and own the entire Calradia in no time.

This extreme fixation is probably a reaction to Warband AI that would stop sieges to chase after size 30 parties.

This extreme fixation is probably a reaction to Warband AI that would stop sieges to chase after size 30 parties.
Not really, I didn't notice such behaviour in the early access versions. They changed it because people complained they can't play siege defense because AI was being smart and leaving the siege to run away when they see larger enemy army approaching. It was annoying sometimes that's true. But as you can guess TW did the TW thing. Instead of coming up with an actual solution, they took the short cut and made the AI brain dead so they can only focus on sieges without any situational awareness. Now you can play siege defense as much as you want. :ROFLMAO: Long story short we had a problematic AI and it's replaced to another problematic AI.

Last edited:
Better it had stopped with that. It´s sad to see big armies raid a village or worse chasing parties or looters.
Yeah it's all messed up. You can check out the new video I uploaded that shows how AI army remains indecisive, goes back and forth until gets destroyed.

Yeah it's all messed up. You can check out the new video I uploaded that shows how AI army remains indecisive, goes back and forth until gets destroyed.
Armies should ignore all forces that isent 50% of their number. Never raid and only focus on siege. And sieges should be focus on distance not strenght.
War objectives and spies must come to the game. Then it is easy to know where there will be defensive sieges to play.

Armies should ignore all forces that isent 50% of their number. Never raid and only focus on siege. And sieges should be focus on distance not strenght.
War objectives and spies must come to the game. Then it is easy to know where there will be defensive sieges to play.
Hell no man! You're suggesting to replace it with another broken AI

When you have two bad choises one should take the lesser bad. The current is worse.
Small tweaks like that won't fix anything. They gotta remake army/party behaviours. This time with logical and a little bit of realistic approach.

Small tweaks like that won't fix anything. They gotta remake army/party behaviours. This time with logical and a little bit of realistic approach.
Smal tweaks is posible for them to do. Big changes no. Havent you read. Game is soon finished.

I don't know if there is anything need be said. These two videos will show you what kind of joke is the Bannerlord Campaign AI.

----------------------------------------------[UPDATE]----------------------------------------------------------

Here's another one. This might be even worse. AI army being chased by a similar strength army but gives no f*** and goes directly for a kamikaze siege.

One of the best examples of kamikaze siege. Exploit this and own the entire Calradia in no time.

Normally I wasn't gonna play Bannerlord until 1.2 becomes stable but since I get notifications from this topic I wanted to make some more tests. As soon as I started playing I encountered another Artificial Stupidity moment hahahahaha. Also guess what Mr. Marsh! This is a different save.

Another good examples of kamikaze attacks one after another :ROFLMAO: Can someone please explain me what happened with the Vartin's army? Hahahaha :ROFLMAO:

Okay first example the A.I. seems to be ignoring you, they definitely have numerical superiority, though I can't say who has the stronger party actually. If they are technically stronger it makes some sense that they'd focus on their siege target, rather than waste time chasing you. Trying to chase down smaller parties has been the bane of many a large army.

The other examples are simply a lack of awareness. I can't tell if they spotted your stronger party earlier, but if they didn't it makes sense they'd stay committed to the siege since they can't really effectively retreat due to speed penalty anyways.

In Calradia everyone seems to be devoted to a level of Bushido that would make most Samurai blush. I've always been more irked by parties refusing to surrender when they are clearly outmatched. I think only Looters ever surrender, and even then not easily. Really the A.I. in general should have a stronger preservation focus. Battles should be somewhat less frequent, losers should attempt to retreat more, surrendering should have some benefit, and in general it should be more difficult to replenish troops. Unfortunately the game is just built around a kind of meat grinder mentality.

I'm not sure if you're mocking the current AI or trying to find excuses for disfunctional game mechanics :smile:
If they are technically stronger it makes some sense that they'd focus on their siege target, rather than waste time chasing you.
It never makes sense to ignore me because they should know I'm gonna return and destroy them once the settlement garrison inflict enough casualties to them.
The other examples are simply a lack of awareness. I can't tell if they spotted your stronger party earlier, but if they didn't it makes sense they'd stay committed to the siege since they can't really effectively retreat due to speed penalty anyways.
How the hell they could miss an army as large as theirs right behind them? They shouldn't even start the siege while there is a huge danger so close. Please stop trying to justify their sloppy work. I'm not even expecting a military mastermind AI. All I'm asking for some decent simple god damn logic.

Last edited:
I've been playing this game since 1.3 or 1.4 something and it's really mind blowing how they screwed the campaign AI so bad, rather even intentionally. I swear it was smarter in earlier builds. On 1.2 especially AI has zero environment awareness, they don't defend anywhere, keep changing targets, siege the same place with multiple armies for no reason, etc.
I just sat and watched 2 Vlandian 1000 men armies and 2 400 men Aserai armies keep taking and losing the same 2 castle and 1 city over and over for an hour because neither army bothered to leave a garrison or go to defend. Even when they decided to go defend, they just changed their minds half way and go back to siege the place another army is already besieging.
Garrison thing is an apparent bug I have no idea why it takes so long to fix since it's game breaking, but is there a dev explanation somewhere why AI is prevented from breaking a siege to run away or defend their territory? It is plain nonsense.

I've been playing this game since 1.3 or 1.4 something and it's really mind blowing how they screwed the campaign AI so bad, rather even intentionally. I swear it was smarter in earlier builds. On 1.2 especially AI has zero environment awareness, they don't defend anywhere, keep changing targets, siege the same place with multiple armies for no reason, etc.
I just sat and watched 2 Vlandian 1000 men armies and 2 400 men Aserai armies keep taking and losing the same 2 castle and 1 city over and over for an hour because neither army bothered to leave a garrison or go to defend. Even when they decided to go defend, they just changed their minds half way and go back to siege the place another army is already besieging.
Garrison thing is an apparent bug I have no idea why it takes so long to fix since it's game breaking, but is there a dev explanation somewhere why AI is prevented from breaking a siege to run away or defend their territory? It is plain nonsense.
Smooth brain AI.

Back
Top Bottom