overwhelming enemies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir Jodi

Recruit
I dearly hope that this has been brought to your knowledge by now but if not, here comes: The fight system in mount&blade is very good but it has one major problem, The enemy tends to overwhelm you most of the time(mostly on lover levels) and it is really annoying cause the only way to survive againgst say 12 river pirates bashing your shield is to run backwards and protect yourself(wich drains shield guigly)sorry for bad english btw.

that should be fixed so that it would no longer be all vs one.
Your party gets often killed like that. so would it be possible to make the enemies not attack you on mass but one or two at a time. that would create more feel of duels.

Sorry againg for bad english and writing, cause i am not a novellist or anything.

Well, i see your point, but if you play it a bit more i think you might change your opinion. Even at the very start you could hire a dozen peasants to help you fight those river pirates if needed. And once you get the game mechanics down, taking on a hoard of river pirates becomes easy, even at lvl 1. First time i played i got owned, and was thinking the same thing and wishing the game was easier. Now, i wish it were harder. Plus "duels" just aren't as cool as watching a few dozen units battle it out! :grin:

if anything, the battles need to be much bigger. i wonder if the current map max (25 or somthing) is an engine limit.

Overwhelming isn't the problem. Obviously if you fight twelve people alone, unless you display outstanding skill, they should quite rightly batter you to the ground. I agree that the game isn't very friendly to solo players at the moment, since the small groups of 4-6 disappear within the first couple of levels, leaving you with no choice but consistent mobbing unless you buy troops. But if troops held back and attacked one after the other, there'd be no difference between fighting 4 or 20. You'd just find a 'tactic' (and by that I mean exploit) and systematically batter them to death.

The real problem is that the enemy AI is overly simplistic at the moment. While you can easily get overwhelmed on foot, if you're on a horse you can lead them around the field all day like dogs, and they'll never give up the chase or split up and try to flank you. I agree perhaps that higher level characters should have more 'hero' tools at their disposal to handle crowds, but you should always, always be in danger if you're on foot and 12 or more people surround you, no matter what you're wearing or how big your sword is, because getting surrounded means you've messed up and you should be punished accordingly.

^ I agree with the Egg. I certainly understand where Sir Jodi is coming from though. I think you'll find this might help. No longer will running backwards be your only option! NOW STAND AND FIGHT LIKE A REAL MAN! You're still going to be screwed at a low level against 12 pirates (or at any level against a large group of bandits for that matter) but with a bit of luck and a few good swings, you might be able to retreat - rather than leave the battlefield after falling unconscious and losing your horse again.

Thanks for awnsers everyone! I already found a pretty good tact to repeat againgst overwhelming forces. just use that khengit bow and a fast horse to take them out, before going hand to hand.

Sir Jodi said:
Thanks for awnsers everyone! I already found a pretty good tact to repeat againgst overwhelming forces. just use that khengit bow and a fast horse to take them out, before going hand to hand.

:smile: And everyone should take a look at the link DarkUnderlord posted above.

An interesting addition to combat that makes close melee fighting more practical - and other stuff.

corksacker69 said:
if anything, the battles need to be much bigger.

Hear hear. Make it possible to multiply the scale of battles by ten and we're in seasonable feuds. :razz:

Ummm....ok, i've got a pretty decent system, and already on max battle size with alot of cavalry, the game slows down a bit. I don't want to imagine how bad it would lag with battles even larger, much less 10 times that size. Even with a $10,000 super computer you'd be getting 5 seconds per frame (.2 fps makes me laugh) :lol: Provided the engine were modified to handle it of course...

My computer's cobwebs have cobwebs, and I don't have any trouble runnign M&B at full battle size. I wouldn't mind seeing bigger battles.

DaLagga said:
Ummm....ok, i've got a pretty decent system, and already on max battle size with alot of cavalry, the game slows down a bit. I don't want to imagine how bad it would lag with battles even larger, much less 10 times that size. Even with a $10,000 super computer you'd be getting 5 seconds per frame (.2 fps makes me laugh) :lol: Provided the engine were modified to handle it of course...

Listing your specs might help, but if you can't handle it on full battle scale then odds are you don't have a decent system by today's standards.

As for the topic, just decrease the battle size in the options and you shouldn't have any problems.
But honestly, this game isn't geared towards making you a one man army. You should expect to have a hard fight when going up against uneven numbers.

what really cranks up lag on my system are horses. whenever an army of 13 dark riders running through a lake comes into view, my fps goes from 250 to 30. wondering if other people have the same experience.

i got:

ati radeon 9600xt
512mb ddr ram
amd athlon 2500

if indoor battles(no horses) are implemented, i would like to see bigger battles, because its just lots of horses moving at a time that seem to cause a heap of slowdown.

corksacker69 said:
what really cranks up lag on my system are horses. whenever an army of 13 dark riders running through a lake comes into view, my fps goes from 250 to 30.

Could this be from the particle effect of the splashing water? I think there's a way to turn it off in the config file.

I've got a 3.0ghz amd, 512 RAM, radeon 9800 pro. The memory is a little lacking, but everything else is pretty good, its mainly lots and lots of horses that lag me.

Back
Top Bottom