OTGB for Warband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Well lore for all factions would be good, especially about the New World and Murond. Limitations are that you don't go around killing other people's characters, throw people out of character, invent some random technology that does not fit their faction (e.g. Maxim Guns for Holy Swadian Empire)... so you must keep as much to the faction's personality and real-life basis as much as possible. I deviated from this with the Haelmarian Cheese Lore...

Now I have to shove everything in here because that fool deleted all his posts. Bugger.

Venitius said:
On the contrary; we have Pike and Shot Laurians and Swadians; 19th Century Swadians with repeaters and double-barreled guns; 16th-17th Century Haelmarians with Musket and Pike, Ottomans with the bow; 15th Century Winged Hussars of the Grand Duchy and a Paris Gun in Lion Throne Territories, and 14th/15th Century Vaegirs under the regime of a "Terrible" ruler.

It just has to fit the faction.

Venitius said:
Well HSE sounds better as Hegelische Swadches Reich, and the IS something like the Swadches Kaisereich.

They both consider themselves Swadians, you see.

Oh and Haelmar is the... Haelmarian term for Haelmar.

Faith?

Well LT is probably has a different monotheistic religion.

Ormeli has some other religion.

Haelmar has cheese embedded into it's nature.

The IS doesn't give a damn about religion.

Laurians & Swadians are what I would call "Calradian Church", the Calradian version of the Catholic Church...

Vaegirs use religion for propaganda and exterminating the Nirdams..

No idea what Duchy is, but seeing as they're the Pol-Lith I would say they're also Calradian Church.

Ellis was probably Ellisian Church. (Orthodox?)

EDIT = Do post on the compilation topic on which links are broken; and it's not entirely finished.

Venitius said:
Cheese? Oh take a look at the Cheese section in the compilation or search for "cheese" in the Universe Expansion topic, where most of the lore is.

HSE is referred to normally as the Swadian Empire, rarely in Swadian as the Swadches Reich.

Swadches Reich is normally used to refer to the IS.

Venitius said:
Calradian is the catch-all language i.e. English. And I know that the terms are so confusing, Calradian terms are used more than the tongue of the faction.

Venitius said:
Ellis originally ruled over the whole of Calradia, as they were based on the Romans (later the Byzantines), and conquered Swadia Interior & Ulterior. (HSE and IS respectively) They probably got to Vaegiria and to the South-Eastern Steppes, and to the Clans. The Nords arrived, like in Native, and learnt the language. The Ellisian Empire crumbled, and the various factions emerged. Swadia had a civil war and became the HSE and IS, Khergits invaded from the south, Lauria from the North, pushing the Nords back to the newly formed Union of Haelmar, which had not been invaded by Ellis but was at constant war with the Bermianese, who traded with Ellis, and the Laurians.

So they learnt the language too. The Duchy probably learnt it due to trade with Ellis/Vaegiria, and as the Ormeli were originally Khergit vassals, they would have learnt it too.

In the dying days of Ellis, the Lion Throne would have had ambassadors there as Ellis became a protectorate of the Lion Throne. Eventually, when Swadia conquered Ellis and the LT invaded, they brought in Ellisian Auxilliaries so they would have learnt the language too.

I don't know what you want to use faction names in their native languages for but in that case we consider Ormeli to speak Ottoman Turkish(like you attempted to express a few posts ago) This style is actually more Arabic than pure Turkish, but that was with much of the Ottoman Turkish language. Devlet-i Âliye-yi Ormâniyye like you said means "Supreme/High State of Forest".
It's Ormeli(from Orme Ghazi), not Ormani see  :razz: (orman means forest in Turkish) If you want to express the official name of the state with that particular style(as the Ottomans did), this poses a problem, since the name Osman ends with a consonant while the name Orme ends with a vowel. This would end up being Devlet-i Âliye-yi Ormeiyye which doesn't sound right.
Adding the L of OrmeLi to that mixes Turkish with Arabic and makes it too hard to translate it into something meaningful.

Instead you could say: Ormeli Devleti which means State of Orme, so as not to have messed with Arabic grammar.

Still I find D'Sparil to have picked an unusually annoying name for this faction when he came up with EATRC, because it basically screws up any grammar you want to throw at it because not only does it not have the slightest meaning(it's made up), it's also not a Turkish name or something like that. But hey we're stuck with it  :lol:

Bunduqdari said:
Still I find D'Sparil to have picked an unusually annoying name for this faction when he came up with EATRC, because it basically screws up any grammar you want to throw at it because not only does it not have the slightest meaning(it's made up), it's also not a Turkish name or something like that. But hey we're stuck with it  :lol:

http://www.maplandia.com/turkey/kars/ormeli/

In-your-face

D'Sparil said:
Bunduqdari said:

http://www.maplandia.com/turkey/kars/ormeli/

In-your-face

no. :eek:

The name of that village on some forgotten hill in the easternmost edge of Turkey is Örmeli not Ormeli.
Ormeli doesn't mean **** in Turkish but Örmeli does. It means "with braids" or "with knits"

Now, I could change the lore for you if you insist that you consciously chose the name some village in Turkey to be the name of your Ottoman-inspired faction, or if you insist that you know Turkish enough to have meant "Empire with braids/knits" or Empire of Braided Ones.
And that in both cases you couldn't get the umlaud on the letter O in the game. I am serious I would change the lore if you did it somewhat intentionally. :grin:

OR

in-your-face back ?

I intentionally chose that name by searching names of turkish locations, no I don't know what it means, and to be honest I couldn't care less.
Some time ago someone pointed up to me that "kaiserlicher" was not the correct usage of the word and as you may have noticed I haven't changed it. Just as I haven't changed the borther of the moon, grandson of god thing (or whatever it was). There's a line between having fun writting lore and being obnoxious about details that don't make a difference in the end.

Making the factions closer to what they actually are seems less interesting than having them just sort of based off of some real place but not too closely. If I wanted real nations, I'd play a historical mod. But that's just my opinion.

A reference to history but not outright historical accuracy blaring in the face is good enough for me. When I want real nations and historical accuracy, I'd play another mod too.

I had a ****ty long day at work... This cheered me up immensely. =)

Not that my opinion matters much but I really like that the mod isn't completely historically accurate.
The harder you try to make something perfectly correct the more whiny *****es you'll get trying the ferret out everything that's not, this should just be a fun mod and not a historybook.
And no i don't mean that Bunduqdari is a whiny *****. He makes a good point, isn't whiny and is most definitely not a ***** =)

While the Haelmar names make me cringe a bit I would never want to change them.
Except Öreborg... Should have been my hometown Helsingborg as our fort is far ****ing cooler and has seen more battles than anywhere else in the world. Ish...

If the highland clans were to be included as a new faction, what time period of Scottish history would the faction be based on? 

Venitius said:
I would think High Medieval.. without the Knights and Men-at-Arms.

If they were to be introduced,  a high medieval basis wouldn't that be very accurate in relation to the rest of the mod.  Why not change them to a more 18th century sort of faction wielding the Basket Hilted Claymores and a Targe with some muskets.  I don't think a high medieval nation would get powerful enough ships to travel to the new world.

Well it's also another faction with a wide date range in real life. And as D'Sparil said earlier, it doesn't matter.

Why not a very conservative society with Nord-like skills with boats?

You could have those Mel Gibson claymores and have ships that can travel to the New World!

Back
Top Bottom