One or Two Handed Mounted?

Do you use a one-handed weapon while mounted, or a two handed?

• One-handed

Votes: 62 46.3%
  • Two-handed

Votes: 33 24.6%
  • Both, depending on circumstances

Votes: 39 29.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

As long as your horse is moving the momentum bonus will more than make up for the -35% and you will pretty much always one-shot everyone.

One hander or bastard weapon. To attack enemies from a horseback on a longer distance you have whole variety of polearms. When my horse gets stopped, enemies usually get very close and i do not need long reach, but sure need speed.

Both, but mainly a long one handed sword and lance while on a horse, but if i'm fighting on foot then definately a two handed weapon, usually great long axe or heavy morningstar, very useful for sieges aswell

Both. Use the 2H for when you have speed and need reach. Use 1H when you are facing multiple enemies or need protection from ranged weapons. Of course, the real question would be, if you had to choose just one weapon, 1H, 2H, or polearm? Probably 1H. Balanced Elite Scimitar is overpowered in my opinion. How can it be that fast powerful and long? It brings shame to all other 1 handers, except possibly the Long Arming Sword.

I always go with the heavy bastard sword and heater shield for versatility. Just throw the shield on my back when not facing archers. But it's invaluable when fighting powerful armies of ranged units such as Rhodoks and Vaegir. Got ''pin-cushioned'' a LOT by sharpshooters when using the greatsword. Not fun. In the end it's a matter of aesthetics vs. practicality. The remaining two item slots I usually fill with throwing axes/daggers or javelins. Just so I can impale fleeing enemies.

Two-handed. Most of the time Great Long axe(or some like thaat)  I know how to fight with a 1-h but not with a shield. Can easy top the multiplayer DM with a sword and crappy armor, but not with the best 1-h with shield an best armor  :cool:

Both! My character has tons of money, so I have a War Cleaver, Balanced 2h Saber, a Lance, and a shield. During sieges, I switch out the Lance for a Wall Shield to protect from those pesky archers!

A bit of both for me.  I like the Bastard Sword for it's dual-capabilities, pretty much one of the strongest one-handed weapons I think, isn't it?  Though I suppose it is outdone by dedicated two-handed weapons like my other favourite, Heavy Great Long Bardiche!  Longer reach on horseback is obviously better, but I used a Nordic Short War Sword for ages, mounted or no, it still did what it was supposed to...

Never been one for short swords, but after reading Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series, with Uhtred's raving of short swords in a tight melee, I decided to go that way...  It works.  Quite often my bastard sword just bounces around uselessly.

balanced shortened spear

so fast you don't need a shield.  and that leaves room for 2 quivers of Khergit arrows or..  my favorite.. throwing knives..

I play with both for variety but I feel one-handed is better overall. Shield is critical to how to I play cav - it stops both projectiles and it's much more convenient to shield block melee weapons than trying to weapon block on horse. Due to impact speed you get with horse (one of the better) one-handed weapons kills anything quickly enough. Two-handers have some nice shield crushers though.

Has to be two handed. The satisfaction of smashing a dirty great axe through some poor suckers shield before splattering him against a wall.  :grin:

beny1999 said:
Has to be two handed. The satisfaction of smashing a dirty great axe through some poor suckers shield before splattering him against a wall.  :grin:

Did I just hear someone say, "MORNINGSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!"?

Because hitting someone with it while going full speed on a Courser is easily one of the most satisfying things I've done in a game. The enemy's body flew backwards, it was great.

Despite the penalty, do you use a 2-handed weapon while mounted for the extra reach? I'm considering giving it a shot, as a result of getting higher proficiency in a weapon I'll find myself using in sieges more often.

EDIT: Lots of views, not a lot of votes! Tell me what you think, I'm curious.

I tend to use a two-handed axe, but usually only after I crash-bang into an infantry unit and my horse gets stuck. Then I swing away like mad hoping to kill everyone before they knock me off my horse. The mechanics for mounted combat are still quite bad -- there should be a way to lean to the side and swing your one handed sword. Even idiots can use a cavalry sabre, since most of the damage is from your horse's momentum anyway. But oddly enough it's hard to hit someone with a sword on horseback.

Back
Top Bottom